Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus Farming Rewards Toxic/anti-Group Gameplay And Needs To Change So It Doesn't

Tsukinoki

Something needs to be done about how focus is gained because as it stands it is very anti-group and encourages toxic gameplay.

As we all know you only gain focus for your own kills.
That heavily encourages you to stop other people from getting any kills, as any kills they get means you're not getting as much focus as you could.

And this has already had effects in some groups.
The last mission I was in someone popped out a specter in a vent and told it hold position.  It was completely solid for the rest of the squad and since we didn't have a Loki we couldn't move it and couldn't kill any enemies.
The troll got all of the focus while no one else did, and not because we didn't want to.

Right now the current focus system encourages you to steal as many kills as you can and be a lensed nuke frame spamming your abilities non-stop.
Because after all, if you nuke all of the enemies faster than anyone else can kill them you're going to get way more focus than they can.

This also heavily rewards the hallway heroes because they are getting more kills.

And this has also led to raging, yelling, and purposefully trying to cause the mission to fail if you're killing more enemies than them because by doing so you're actively preventing them from gaining focus.

Honestly I think that the focus needs to work like syndicate gains do.
And before anyone says: "But the leechers....", I honestly think that not rewarding toxic/anti-group gameplay and trolling is more important honestly.

If people have a better suggestion I'll be happy to hear it, but I seriously think that something needs to change with how focus is gained.

EDIT:
Looks like this will be changed afterall:
https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair/status/674064658073001985

I'm glad that focus will get shared experience from allies "soon"

Edited by Tsukinoki

I don't know who the hell would bother stopping you from getting affinity... the best way to earn it is if you do it in survival missions, if there is another way to get it that is better then it should be investigated. 

But still I see your point and the decision of earning affinity by using offensive powers from the kills alone is not a good option, they need to expand it to other aspects like healing from trinity or disarms from loki (not sure if those benefit the players though need to confirm it).

But still, whoever does this its pretty @(*()$ dumb to do so...

I run with my clan for just about anything. We take 4 people into draco, and each of us swaps using excal for 2 runs. Each of us ends up with 75k focus for the day. Usually takes just at an hour for all 4 of us. I would hate to try getting focus any other way with the current system as i play a support role all other times.

+1 agree its a problem and does not support cooperative play.

The specter thing made me lol.

But agreed, I imagine there will be future changes coming soon.

The funny but sad part about the current system is that people were already always trying to get all the kills themselves.  Every mission no matter what it is becomes a competition to see who gets most kills.

Defense missions usually involve excal spamming like crazy, or people racing to spawn points to kill everything as soon as it comes out.

Now people actually have a reason to do it beyond the usual aggressive ego trip they get when they see their kills highlighted yellow indicating THEY WON or whatever runs through their brains.

Edited by Xekrin

But still I see your point and the decision of earning affinity by using offensive powers from the kills alone is not a good option, they need to expand it to other aspects like healing from trinity or disarms from loki (not sure if those benefit the players though need to confirm it).

I have to agree with this. The way I see it, having to kill to gain affinity is the source of this "toxic/anti group" problem. 

Right now Draco has a nice mutalistic relationship going on between the leechers and the Focus farmers. Us focus farmers need them to generate more spawns, and they need us to level their junk. The only stressful part is if host migrates we lose all of our focus T_T. But i would like to see some changes in the focus system. It is in beta so they will be adjusting things. I had to spend 80plat on a new lens, because i put my first one on trinity not knowing kills were the only thing that get you focus.

I don't know who the hell would bother stopping you from getting affinity... the best way to earn it is if you do it in survival missions, if there is another way to get it that is better then it should be investigated. 

But still, whoever does this its pretty @(*()$ dumb to do so...

To be fair the system rewarded him for it.

The problem with focus is that it is only your kills.

Nothing else contributes to that gain at all.

In a mission if I kill 40 people and you kill 10 I'm the one that is going to get more focus.

If I could have stopped you from getting those 10 kills then I would have gotten even more focus.

And the current system rewards that.

Every kill that someone else gets is less focus for you.  And that is the anti-thesis of group play.

I agree that the person was stupid to do what he did, but in the end he came out ahead of 3 other people and that's all he cared about.

Gameplay mechanics really shouldn't encourage the mentality of "Screw everyone else, and if I dont screw them then I'm not getting focus as fast!"

Right now the system just isn't working in a game that is ostensibly focused towards group play as it encourages the opposite.

EDIT:

Toxic A******s will be toxic A******s, if you would get focus from shared party XP then the said A******s would just continue to leech like they were prior to this update.

At least leechers can't actively harm you or prevent you from advancing and getting focus.

Leechers can't directly harm your experience in the game and hurt your progression.

The current focus mechanic allows those trolls to do exactly that, and it needs to be changed so it cant.

Really it's not very different from Limbo before they made it so that you can roll out of being banished.  He could troll you and prevent you from getting pickups and other stuff.

This is pretty much the same, they can troll you and prevent you from gaining focus.

That shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Focus is the only thing encourage solo game, in a co-op game. Need to be fixed asap.

Exactly.

A co-op game should reward co-op play.

Instead it punishes it and rewards killstealing and doing whatever you can to hamper your team mates efforts in killing.

An ostensibly co-op focused game really needs to focus on rewarding the team instead of the lone player that abandoned the defense objective to sit in a hallway 50 meters away just killing enemies and not helping the team.

Focus is the only thing encourage solo game, in a co-op game. Need to be fixed asap.

Exactly.

A co-op game should reward co-op play.

Instead it punishes it and rewards killstealing and doing whatever you can to hamper your team mates efforts in killing.

An ostensibly co-op focused game really needs to focus on rewarding the team instead of the lone player that abandoned the defense objective to sit in a hallway 50 meters away just killing enemies and not helping the team.

Wrong and Wrong.  Warframe is not " a co-op game".  Warframe is not "a solo game".

Warframe is a third person action game, with the option to play in a group or solo.  Please stop fighting solo play and pretending that it's somehow "bad" to run a solo match.

People with bad internet have a very hard time with multiplayer.  I promise that this is true, it was how I played Warframe for nearly 2 years.

Another example, I could never run a spy mission in public.  To many opportunities for random idiots to screw everything up.  Better to just solo it.

I often solo T1 missions for affinity, argon, and ducat fuel.  It's easy to manage, and doesn't require me to bother anyone in my clan or alliance, or random packs of players from recruiting.

Please stop fighting solo play and pretending that it's somehow "bad" to run a solo match.

How are we fighting solo play in any way?

How are we saying that "Solo is bad!!!"

All I said was that in group play the team shouldn't be punished by getting lower focus because a single player runs out to a hallway 50 meters away and tries to hog all the kill, or a nuke frame wipes out everything before anyone has a chance to get any kills.

All we want is for the focus system to not penalize group play like it currently does.

That isn't fighting anything.

That is just wanting to make a system in the game not so heavily punish playing in groups, especially playing with nuke frames, and to not allow trolls to make it much harder to get the focus points.

Edited by Tsukinoki