The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Understand Focus Points And Don't Want To Waste Them

AnAngryHorde

Question

I want to unlock the other abilities on my skill tree, but I don't know how. I'm looking at the wiki, but I don't understand what it's telling me.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Focus

"Focus points can be spent to unlock a new school, unlock a new upgrade node in an existing school ability tree, upgrade an unlocked node, or increase the maximum Pool for a specific tree."

The only thing I have enough points for at the moment is increase the maximum pool, but I don't know what that means. What is the maximum pool?

Also, there are lock symbols over all of the nodes other than the base one. Will they disappear when I have enough focus to unlock them, or do I need to max out the base one first?

Is there a cap on the number of different nodes that I can have unlocked/levelled?

18 answers to this question

Increasing the pool means you increase the number of active nodes you can use at a time. You should skip this until you have more than 5 active nodes on your tree at a time.

Just keep saving up the focus points for now so you can unlock nodes on your tree. Equip a different kind of lens on another item and use those focus points to unlock that respective school.

Eventually you'll have to choose between ranking up the same node on your tree for better stats, or unlocking more nodes. Keep in mind that unlocking more nodes means you'll have to periodically spend additional points on your pool to use more of these nodes at a time.

1. You gain Focus points by using an equipment with a Lens installed. Which type of lens determines which school you gain Focus points for. The points are not interchangeable between different schools, and all share the 75,000 cap per day. Note that currently, only affinity from your own kills increase Focus points, you do not gain them from allies' kills. This is said to be a bug by Steve, and should be fixed / changed in the near future.

2. "Pool" is akin to your mod capacity of a weapon / frame. The more you level an ability or the more abilities / nodes you unlock, more and more Pool points are required to maintain them.

3. You do not need to level the first skill to unlock other abilities. 

4. There is no limit to the number of different nodes you can unlock. 

Also, there are lock symbols over all of the nodes other than the base one. Will they disappear when I have enough focus to unlock them, or do I need to max out the base one first?

You dont need to max out base. These unlock if you have enough focus points, but some nodes require previous connected node to be unlocked first. Warning tho, each unlocked node/passive that is active (highlighted by red) increase cooldown of signature ability, so sooner or later you need to invest into cooldown reduction node, which is most expensive.

i have unloced the 3 IPS and the Cooldown but  for Impact and Cooldown

remain black and Phoenix Gaze ,  Puncture , and Slash are red on pool says 2/5

i have 1500000 points and when i put on those 2 black color reamain

something i dont get and how we con increase the point pool ??/

thx in advance guys

i have unloced the 3 IPS and the Cooldown but  for Impact and Cooldown

remain black and Phoenix Gaze ,  Puncture , and Slash are red on pool says 2/5

i have 1500000 points and when i put on those 2 black color reamain

something i dont get and how we con increase the point pool ??/

thx in advance guys

Uhm, that's weird; I would say that you've upgraded one of the active ones making them count more than 1 point, but if the pool says 2/5 you should be fine.

You already unlocked Impact and Cooldown, right? With the initial 50000?

Uhm, that's weird; I would say that you've upgraded one of the active ones making them count more than 1 point, but if the pool says 2/5 you should be fine.

You already unlocked Impact and Cooldown, right? With the initial 50000?

yes

and they have still black color 

when i go later home i will upload a screenshot

question; can you stack lenses for greater affinity gains.

ie. Loki + melee weapon both with greater lenses going for stealth kill chains.

or is it just one lense exp effect only.

right now i have greater lense on a melee weapon, i was thinking of putting a greater lense on loki as well since wiki states that weapons get halved affinity while frames get 100%. if they stack, that would be nice since grinding affinity cap without an affinity buff even with 100+ kill stealth chains is really really slow. i don't want to waste more plat to find out so if anyone knows that would be :D thanks.

Edited by fizbit

yes

and they have still black color 

when i go later home i will upload a screenshot

Weird, sounds like a bug but a screen would help indeed.

question; can you stack lenses for greater affinity gains.

ie. Loki + melee weapon both with greater lenses going for stealth kill chains.

or is it just one lense exp effect only.

right now i have greater lense on a melee weapon, i was thinking of putting a greater lense on loki as well since wiki states that weapons get halved affinity while frames get 100%. if they stack, that would be nice since grinding affinity cap without an affinity buff even with 100+ kill stealth chains is really really slow. i don't want to waste more plat to find out so if anyone knows that would be :D thanks.

It depends on where you're putting them: weapons will grant 50% of the affinity/focus you gain by killing with them, the other half will go to the frame.

This means that if you put a lens on Loki and a lens on melee weapon you'll double the affinity you would get by putting a lens on the weapon only; that's actually the most efficent way to farm focus.

Though, you have to kill to gain affinity, meaning that if you put a lens on melee weapon and a lens on your primary and you kill with melee only you'll gain affinity just with the melee weapon.

I still don't get the pool thing. I've unlocked two nodes on my Naramon tree. I thought the pool was about increasing the daily focus gain cap?

Nope, it only provides you more abilitiy slots, allowing you to have more than 5 activated abilities (both passive and active) at once.

Each ability once unlocked takes a slot and so do upgrades; to use, let's say, 4 passive and 2 active abilities you need to have rooms for 6, which will need the pool to be increased by 1.

Edited by siralextraffo

Nope, it only provides you more abilitiy slots, allowing you to have more than 5 activated abilities (both passive and active) at once.

Each ability once unlocked takes a slot and so do upgrades; to use, let's say, 4 passive and 2 active abilities you need to have rooms for 6, which will need the pool to be increased by 1.

Now, I get it! Thanks.

Weird, sounds like a bug but a screen would help indeed.

here you go Sir first icon what i am see and on top you can see the 150000 points to spend and top right

Phoenix Gaze Mastery unlocked but still black color

Hseg47B.jpg

second icon if  i transfer some points you can see under the  abilitie name the number

1 change to number 2 (red) but still the cyrcle remain black at the time the other polygon (Blaze Fury) is red

C2Ij80I.jpg

i will gather the daily points and i will wait for more instructions

before starting upgrades

Also another thing to note. Not all passives / ability augments only cost 1 to equip. For Madurai the passives that increase damage types cost a whopping 3 at level one (i'm almost positive) to equip. Each subsequent level afterwards increases the cost just like a mod.

It will eventually be possible to have all abilities and passives unlocked and equipped for a single tree. This will be very expensive focus wise, cost alot of points to equip them all, and push your timer, even with the reduction skills, absurdly high. I have all of the Madurai augments to the right unlocked and 2 passives, plus the timer reduction unlocked with a few skills at level 2...and my timer is already over 700 sec. The timer reduction skill only reduces it a very small amount, we aren't talking 100s per rank here.

I think in the end it'll be worth it to fully max every skill / tree, but it'll be just like any build where you will want to balance it out to actually be able to utilize it. Otherwise it'll take 20 rounds of defense or more before you can even activate it the first time!