Shield Gates For Players

EmptyDevil

5 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

check today's devstream..........

4 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Scott said yes they are working on it.

"Something we should look at and try"

Good job community.

Just saw the devstream and they will be working on it next week apparently. I'm excited and hope they go through with it!

3 hours ago, Twilight053 said:

>INB4 DE MAKES BANDAID MOD FOR THIS

Dear God, no. I don't think they will do that though.

This is pure Orokin gold magnificence. Hopeful DE implements this as well as that type of movement system they discussed in Devstream 79. I have read so many posts about changes to the game but this would make gameplay much different and make shields viable. It doesn't trivialize gameplay, is balanced very well, and givesyou time to react making gameplay more interactive. DE mentioned they wanted to change the system when it was questioned. Sadly I can only up vote you once. 

I don't understand why this seems necessary? I've done stupidly high level stuff on the squishiest of frames. Enemy accuracy while parkouring is a literal joke. I only ever get one shot if I've been stupid, and have stood in plain sight instead of bullet jumping about to aim glide shots.... Which I would view as an acceptable punishment for being silly?

Edited by (XB1)BOBIWAN86

1 hour ago, (XB1)BOBIWAN86 said:

I don't understand why this seems necessary?

Because there should be a point to splitting survivability between health and shields. Also, as someone pointed out on Reddit, when damage currently bleeds through your shields into your health (i.e. a shot does more damage than your shields can take and the remaining damage is applied to your health), it does not factor in damage reduction through armor. That's right, you get one-shot by enemies because they completely ignore your armor.

Also, just because shooting enemies while bouncing all over the place works for you, doesn't mean it does for everyone else. PC players have no auto-targeting like consoles.

I don't understand why this seems necessary? I've done stupidly high level stuff on the squishiest of frames. Enemy accuracy while parkouring is a literal joke. I only ever get one shot if I've been stupid, and have stood in plain sight instead of bullet jumping about to aim glide shots.... Which I would view as an acceptable punishment for being silly?

because whats the point of shields? really they dont scale off armor they are just a wimpyer hp bar that heals after a while sorry i would rather buff hp atlest it gets side benifits from armor they need somthing to make it more diffrent than a weak version of the hp bar 

oh and late game most enemies have procs that ignore them

Edited by hazerddex

42 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Because there should be a point to splitting survivability between health and shields. Also, as someone pointed out on Reddit, when damage currently bleeds through your shields into your health (i.e. a shot does more damage than your shields can take and the remaining damage is applied to your health), it does not factor in damage reduction through armor. That's right, you get one-shot by enemies because they completely ignore your armor.

Also, just because shooting enemies while bouncing all over the place works for you, doesn't mean it does for everyone else. PC players have no auto-targeting like consoles.

Thanks for assuming and insulting. Auto-targeting is useless when enabled, that is long disabled, I manually aim. If you are getting hit, you are standing there being silly. No frame actually *needs* hp or shield mods. Parkour is the only way to stay alive. Our HP bars and shields will always remain a joke in comparison to parkour for survivability. Frankly, I'm stating, don't get hit. Even Inaros will get wrecked if you just stand there.

Edited by (XB1)BOBIWAN86

9 hours ago, Zarozian said:

Congratulations. @EmptyDevil So your idea finally got pushed forward and mentioned on Devstream and now it will be worked on starting next week~ Shouldn't be hard to add in at all right?

Thanks! I'm sure DE could implement and improve it pretty quickly. Looking forward to shields being a lot more useful.

8 hours ago, (PS4)salovel1991 said:

This is pure Orokin gold magnificence. Hopeful DE implements this as well as that type of movement system they discussed in Devstream 79. I have read so many posts about changes to the game but this would make gameplay much different and make shields viable. It doesn't trivialize gameplay, is balanced very well, and givesyou time to react making gameplay more interactive. DE mentioned they wanted to change the system when it was questioned. Sadly I can only up vote you once. 

Thanks, i'm looking forward to these changes as well. We'll finally have a reason to rely less on heavy CC and etc

59 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

Thanks! I'm sure DE could implement and improve it pretty quickly. Looking forward to shields being a lot more useful.

Thanks, i'm looking forward to these changes as well. We'll finally have a reason to rely less on heavy CC and etc

Honestly with DE, I'm not expecting them to implement the changes exactly like this.. I've been let down in the past.. But this is exactly how they should be implemented. It makes redirection highly viable for end game content and even fast deflection. It certainly helps with chroma though. While he has good survivability his mechanics could be flawed a lot because of the build up on vex armor and having a moderate shield amount. I'm hoping we don't get something that looks like the derelict. Lol I'll remain hopeful though. 

Thanks for assuming and insulting. Auto-targeting is useless when enabled, that is long disabled, I manually aim. If you are getting hit, you are standing there being silly. No frame actually *needs* hp or shield mods. Parkour is the only way to stay alive. Our HP bars and shields will always remain a joke in comparison to parkour for survivability. Frankly, I'm stating, don't get hit. Even Inaros will get wrecked if you just stand there.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right about movement being superior. I've been for stupid runs with my clan and it's always movement, the only thing you need is enough health that a bleed proc can't tick you down immediately. However, this will never change the fact that shields at the moment have literally less use than un-armoured health.

There's no reason to have them at high level, because if you happen to get hit, even by accident, even by the edge of radial damage, @Bibliothekar is right, it currently doesn't apply any mitigation of damage to you, the damage actually ignores your armour too if it's more than your shields can take. You are currently more at risk of getting one-shot at mid-to-high level with a shield, than without it.

So this entire thread has been ideas about how to make a shield actually relevant again. It's a mechanic that DE have put into the game to add more flexibility to warframes and builds for them. But the current way the game is played means that, unless you're building to trigger an Arcane, there's no point. We either change the game to make this not the case, or change shields to make this not the case.

Gating is actually the most easy to implement and mechanically tweak-able function for DE to add and to test internally/patch in the future. That's most likely why they've brought it up as a possibility on the devstream.

@EmptyDevil It only took 6 months for my question to finally get answerd :tongue: I really  liked the idea so I kept asking for any sort-of change to shields and now it's finally happening! now squishy shielded frames won't suffer as much as they have!

Volt feels more happy

nyx prime feels more happy 

Zephr will be more happy 

Mag will be more happy

Rhino will be more happy 

Wukong will be more happy 

Frost will be more happy

and ember prime will be more happy! 

(Listed all shielded frames :tongue: )

Edited by Wolfnrun

Here is my thought in shield gating:

- If at full, if you get hit by ANYTHING, it can do a maximum percentage of your shield. This prevents one shot kills etc. Once your shields are not at max, they take damage normally.

- Health has armor, shields could use some sort of attribute that make them stronger. In this regard it would be cool to see two new duel stat mods. One is health + armor, the other shield + whatever makes shields stronger.

- Look at the Halo model for shields. They can recharge, but almost act like health. IE bleed procs, toxin damage would affect shield before health, but take damage faster on average than health does

2 hours ago, RacerDelux said:

- Look at the Halo model for shields. They can recharge, but almost act like health. IE bleed procs, toxin damage would affect shield before health, but take damage faster on average than health does

That would be flipping useful. Nothing worse than running around like a headless chicken, desperately searching for health orbs, because you got a slash proc that's going to kill you despite full shields. Well, except Ash in radiation sortie. That's definitely worse.

1 hour ago, DxAdder said:

Interesting Idea But where is the downside ?

If you ignore shield, then you have to rely on health orbs and heals to keep you alive.

Is this a mod or ability for all frames ?

All frames - modding is too tight as it is, with augments and all.

What about Inaros?

That guy can have like what, 3k health? I think he will do just fine. Besides, even if he dies, he can try to revive himself. I have not heard of people having issues surviving with him. If they do add shield gating, maybe they need to give him an invisible 1 shield to prevent one shots. But this can be thought about more. It would not negatively impact him, that's for sure.

Will enemies get the same ability ?

It makes sense. It also will make magnetic damage make more since. Takes those shields off fast! I would think toxin at that point would have less effect until shields are gone, then it will work on the health. Things like viral proc will just half health, even if the unit still has shields. ------ EDIT:  He could have a special case where if at full health, he can't be 1 hit with a small cool-down between triggers.

Edited by RacerDelux