Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Raven Helmet [Wip]

-snip-

G-G-G-G-Gatchamaaaaaaaan~

This made me laugh a little harder than it should have, probably because it is similar.

@OP, Keep trying! It's better than anything I could do. The concept looks kinda neato, and maybe once you start defining it, you'll warm up to it a bit.

I like this concept overall. I totally get that this is at the super rough stage, but I have a few suggestions. The fin things should totally mimic the shape of the spines on her neck, perhaps with more details, given their larger size. Overall, the helmet should not at all be smooth, but have lots of grooves and patterns to fit Zephyr overall, although I do like the idea of this super metallic visor jutting out of this organic mass. Perhaps you could get rid of the border between the helmet proper and the visor, and make it appear like the organic portion is growing over the visor, or maybe replace it with a more skin-like fold so it looks a bit more like a beak growing out from beneath the skin. Zephyr is just too organic and detailed for something super futuristic and sleek, but definitely keep the shiny visor. It looks great, and the contrast between robotic and organic is very Warframe. You just have to be sure to get that organic part in right.

Also, a suggested name: Valravn. It's Danish for "raven of the slain" and it appears in a lot of folktales. Naturally, there's a huge amount of variance between tales, but the most common description is that they're ravens that have eaten the heart of a king, gaining supernatural abilities, like transforming into a knight. I feel like it would fit your design really well.

Edited by (PS4)eximago

-Gatchaman-

@OP, Keep trying! It's better than anything I could do. The concept looks kinda neato, and maybe once you start defining it, you'll warm up to it a bit.

I couldn't help but think of Gatchaman when I saw it as well.

I think there's an interesting idea here, but its current (and unfinished, as you had said) state definitely evokes imagery of some Tatsunoko-like anime heroes.

Since you're planning to make adjustments to the helmet all around, I think it's a bit early to pass judgement on it, since I'd like to see how you end up fleshing it out.

Anyway, best of luck on it.

This made me laugh a little harder than it should have, probably because it is similar.

gif__hajime_transforms__bird_go___by_aza

GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

gif__hajime_transforms__bird_go___by_aza

GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Muahaha. When I watched that show, I started colouring frames like the Gatchaman forms. Led to some interesting.. and overall terrible colour schemes on my part XD Loved the visual designs of them though.

I like this concept overall. I totally get that this is at the super rough stage, but I have a few suggestions. The fin things should totally mimic the shape of the spines on her neck, perhaps with more details, given their larger size. Overall, the helmet should not at all be smooth, but have lots of grooves and patterns to fit Zephyr overall, although I do like the idea of this super metallic visor jutting out of this organic mass. Perhaps you could get rid of the border between the helmet proper and the visor, and make it appear like the organic portion is growing over the visor, or maybe replace it with a more skin-like fold so it looks a bit more like a beak growing out from beneath the skin. Zephyr is just too organic and detailed for something super futuristic and sleek, but definitely keep the shiny visor. It looks great, and the contrast between robotic and organic is very Warframe. You just have to be sure to get that organic part in right.

Also, a suggested name: Valravn. It's Danish for "raven of the slain" and it appears in a lot of folktales. Naturally, there's a huge amount of variance between tales, but the most common description is that they're ravens that have eaten the heart of a king, gaining supernatural abilities, like transforming into a knight. I feel like it would fit your design really well.

Thank you! This was the kind of suggestion I needed to help me get over the block I was having with this helmet. I couldn't figure out a way to make the visor fuse with the fleshy part.

I've edited the main post with new pictures and a new name for the helmet.

eba2068f44.jpg

fbb9beb805.jpg

Right now, though, I have no idea what I'm doing with the back of the helmet or the smaller details. I'm kinda just trying out random stuff as I go along.

Needless to say I'm working pretty slow on this. I'm still a bit of a novice with 3D sculpting and texturing.

Edited by CollinSprites

I really like what you're going for, but I'm going to hold off on yea or nay until you're further along. Interested to see how this turns out. You picked the toughest frame to design for; the helm will need a lot of detail else it will clash with the skin.

I agree with this. But you can allso do a normalmap for the body that is more sleek and less busy - to fit the helnet you are working on here.

I agree with this. But you can allso do a normalmap for the body that is more sleek and less busy - to fit the helnet you are working on here.

Agreed. I think that's Zephyr's biggest issue. The frame is so detailed that helmets aren't going to fit along with the body unless they're just as detailed. We'll definitely need some less complex skins if we want some of these helmets to blend.

I'm sorry to announce that I probably won't be finishing this helmet for this round (or ever, quite possibly).

I jumped into this way too fast without learning a lot of the stuff that I should have. Hopefully I can learn what I need to know and have some neat stuff to submit for the next round of Tennogen.

Sorry to anyone who may have been anticipating this helmet :/

Edited by CollinSprites

I'm sorry to announce that I probably won't be finishing this helmet for this round (or ever, quite possibly).

I jumped into this way too fast without learning a lot of the stuff that I should have. Hopefully I can learn what I need to know and have some neat stuff to submit for the next round of Tennogen.

Sorry to anyone who may have been anticipating this helmet :/

Take your time man. I'm sure we'd rather wait for an amazing helmet than a rushed product.