The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help To Decide Primary

(PSN)NickThePersianWa

Question

So im currently rank 4, quite new to warframe if Im to say so myself. But ive been running with the boltor (not prime) for a while now and i just dont feel it. My normal boar and strun shotguns are maxed out in lvlv/rank but they dont seem to cut it either when i for example go for a run in void. What i need to decide is what primary i want, that is good being up close and personal with high damage and spread i guess, togheter with the galatine mele weapon and gammacor...(i need a new secondary to i know XD) suggestions are appreciated.  Im playing as rhino so being up close and personal is kind of his thing.  And also my thing,,i dont want the boar prime though, It consumes way to much ammo for me.

A shotgun that is a bit of both when it comes to crowd control and single target.  

There are many good weapons in this game, and one of the main part of game (and MR leveling) is getting more and more weapons, see what you like and build upon it. 

Saying that easiest recommendation to new playes is to go for hek +scattered justice syndicate mod (buy it for 10p, just sell better corrupted mod for 15p...) this weapon is overall strong, has no noticeable downsides and can take you right to endgame.  

EDIT, you should try other shotguns too, they have their perks and quirks and can be and fun and powerful. But let's be honest, hek is ... well it's just the best. 

Edited by ThorienKELL

it is a Shotgun, but it's full-auto, and starts firing about 3 or 4 shells at once when it's going at full pelt. still takes a while to drain your ammo though.

I would personally Recommend the Tigris, or the Hek once you can get it. Kohm doesn't do as much damage as those two. I will however mention the Soma. not sure if you like LMGs (I do) but that's basically what the Soma is. get close with that and you can tear whole groups apart, and the Prime is even better! I'd recommend that if you get bored of Shotguns at any point.

it is a Shotgun, but it's full-auto, and starts firing about 3 or 4 shells at once when it's going at full pelt. still takes a while to drain your ammo though.

I would personally Recommend the Tigris, or the Hek once you can get it. Kohm doesn't do as much damage as those two. I will however mention the Soma. not sure if you like LMGs (I do) but that's basically what the Soma is. get close with that and you can tear whole groups apart, and the Prime is even better! I'd recommend that if you get bored of Shotguns at any point.

Could get both a soma and the hex in that case, thx for the tip, hex seems promising for now, but il wait a bit to see more replies to be able to decide from what the majority thinks

Edited by (PS4)NickThePersianWa

Try getting the Vaykor Hek (because of the AOE burst every 6/7 shots) from someone, it's a syndicate primary, and pump it up with about 4 or 5 forma's. 
Then get the Twin Grakatas, pump these up with about 6 formas (vvvv --) and you're set for life with your Rhino. You will be the beast you always dreamed of...

Don't recommend vaykor hek to MR4 plse. Vaykor hek requires serious resources, few primed mods and several formas to outshine normal hek. In a sense of how easy it's to get and requirements needed, nothing, nothing beats hek. Possibly the tonkor but tonkor is not ideal for every target or every mission, hek pretty much - is. 

Oh one more thing for OP, for secondary weapon get atomos +ruinous extension mod. It's earliest acquirable secondary in game that fits in "best 5 secondaries in warframe" group. 

I like the sobek.  

It does less damage that some of the others, yes.   It also has a 20 round un-modded mag and with spaz can put out over 5 rounds / sec, or 20 rounds into a boss in 4 seconds.   In that same time, you fired sancti tigris twice if you have mag increase mods and then reloaded it.  When you compare damage that way, sobek looks a bit better.   Hek is a nice balance between the low capacity guns and sobek.   But..

sobek has a massive spread that, combined with punch through, can  drop a 3 deep and 3 wide enemy group at range on maps up to a pretty high level.  It remains an excellent weapon and capable all the way to even sortie levels, though it is starting to drop off a little at that point.  Most of the rest don't spread as well at range.    Spread is less up close, but at that range you are assured one shot kills for anything under at least level 50.     

For anything below sorties, it can be extremely powerful.  It does need several forma to reach endgame potentials, though.   But its easy to level a gun that kills 5+ guys per shot ...

I won't try to argue that its the best, or most endgame capable, but of the shotguns,  I like it the best, followed by hek.  The rest of them I don't care for much at all.   I do like the pistol shotguns.  Sobek is obtainable, its MR 4 and here I am using it in sorties and endgame stuff, a good buy at your MR.

And don't forget phage, which is a totally different style gun but extremely powerful.

Edited by jonnin

I like the sobek.  

It does less damage that some of the others, yes.   It also has a 20 round un-modded mag and with spaz can put out over 5 rounds / sec, or 20 rounds into a boss in 4 seconds.   In that same time, you fired sancti tigris twice if you have mag increase mods and then reloaded it.  When you compare damage that way, sobek looks a bit better.   Hek is a nice balance between the low capacity guns and sobek.   But..

sobek has a massive spread that, combined with punch through, can  drop a 3 deep and 3 wide enemy group at range on maps up to a pretty high level.  It remains an excellent weapon and capable all the way to even sortie levels, though it is starting to drop off a little at that point.  Most of the rest don't spread as well at range.    Spread is less up close, but at that range you are assured one shot kills for anything under at least level 50.     

For anything below sorties, it can be extremely powerful.  It does need several forma to reach endgame potentials, though.   But its easy to level a gun that kills 5+ guys per shot ...

I won't try to argue that its the best, or most endgame capable, but of the shotguns,  I like it the best, followed by hek.  The rest of them I don't care for much at all.   I do like the pistol shotguns.  Sobek is obtainable, its MR 4 and here I am using it in sorties and endgame stuff, a good buy at your MR.

And don't forget phage, which is a totally different style gun but extremely powerful.

Seems the sobek and hex are almost equals when it comes to combat and gameplay. Based on what you said with the sobek, I think I might have some thinking to do. Il get both the hex and sobek to test them out and to see which one suits me the best, thx for the advice man.

Edited by (PS4)NickThePersianWa

I wanna say Opticor. It is generally ignored, but it is an amazing weapon, that, with no more than a catalyst, can take you into Level 3 Sorties. Lemme list the dis/advantages:

Pros:

High Damage (highest base damage of all weapon in game excluding Velocitus (an Arch-Gun))

Most ammo-efficient weapon in the game (has 540 rounds in reserve, and runs on rifle ammo)

Accurate (Pinpoint)

Low charge time if modded, and can be released prematurely for a less powerful blast

Silent

Has a small AoE at the PoI which can be useful for taking out light enemies

Cons:

Build requirements can be steep for someone of your level

Charge time is slow if not modded for, and if you do, can lead to compromise in terms of damage

Charge mechanic is tricky to use (You can't hold the charge. The weapon fires once it reaches full charge (though you can release it earlier)

All in all, get the Opticor if you can. It is clan-tech, but don't let that stop you.

Edit: Not highest damage, Tigris and Sancti Tigris have higher. But their mechanics means it doesn't matter too much. 

Also this was suggested by another person.

Edited by PrVonTuckIII

Tigris with Seeking Fury mod, adds punch through to the pellets, Hell's Chamber mod, adds more pellets and a bit of spread too I think, side effect of the added pellets. Easily clear hallways in one shot. Still a fun shotgun if you don't have those mods though. And when you get to MR 12 you can upgrade to the Sancti Tigris.

Also, try the Redeemer gunblade. It's a melee weapon and shotgun, and you can fire it while reloading the Tigris.

Lol no problem ComCray, but yea the normal hex and the atomos as secondary, and also the twin gratakas when i can get my hands on it, seems cool with two atomatic guns as secondary. Thx for the tips guys

the twin grakatas, modded for crit and fire rate, can clean a hallway full of lvl80 in mere seconds. They are like a soma-prime-sidearm. Bonus points for being able to load the primed crit chance and crit damage mods. Though the aksomati give comparable results, and an insane reload to boot, these take some resources to build. But the Grakatas fit Rhino like a glove, IMHO the only frame where they do not look ridiculously out of place.. :D

But with everything I offered, they need work. 6 formas at least to make them really viable (I think I did 7 to add the primed mods). And this is true for most end-game-weapons. They need work and forma. (which translates to endless runs on Draco and t2survs...).

The Hek(s) would be your goal with leveling steel meridian being your overall goal. To get your MR up to get it, I'd try the other weapon types to bolster your Arsenal. Sorties require just weapon type, ATM just bows so far, to do certain missions. Also trying different frames as well. Rhino may be your go to frame now, but it doesn't hurt to try something new.