Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk About Ambulas

CyberneticPegasus

Ambulas. Pluto's poor little boss. What's there to say about him? Well, he's essentially a recolored MOA with a few warframe abilities, and ramped up HP. 

That's it. 

Just a somewhat upgraded MOA. They didn't even bother to change the fact you are able to stunlock him, that is, provided you don't kill him instantly with one shot. Even his abilities are worthless, since it isn't hard at all to get far enough away from him to completely avoid them, as well as his gunfire.

This is the reward you get for making it all the way to Pluto, one of the farthest and highest level planets in the game. He doesn't even have any worthwhile mod drops. The only real reason you'd bother with him would be to get Excalibur. Or some easy affinity.

Ask my opinion, the little one is in dire need of a rework. Some have suggested outright replacing him with something else like the Lynx. Both he and Nef Anyo- oh, excuse me, The Sergeant, are the highest on the list of bosses in need of reworks. In my opinion. Sadly enough though, I haven't heard much from DE about the whole thing. I don't recall them even mentioning Ambulas before.

Just in case anyone other than me actually knows that Ambulas exists, what would your take on this be? What do you believe should be done with him? If anything?

Obviously Ambulas is a placeholder for John Prodman.

What I'm intrested in is what is Raptor place holder for?

Probably a Sapping Osprey Boss.

Come now, we all know John will never be a boss.

He'll just whoop us out of existence.

As for the Raptor, Update 19: Raptor has been replaced by the Rex, 10x bigger Sapping Osprey that drops nuclear laser sappers.

A rework would be nice, as Ambulas is one of the last few vestige bosses of Warframe's earlier years. That said, I think Kela de Thaym and Nef Anyo are (rightfully, I think) coming up first. After that...we'll see.

Probably Kela first imo.

She has been mentioned for a rework since forever.

They want to make meaningful reworks to bosses as time allows them - no point in making a rework that a few months later requires another rework.

Ambulas will most likely remain a MOA-type enemy, but get a new model and actual boss mechanics - similar to Vor, Sargas, or, god forbid, Tyl Regor and Vay Hek.

If you were around long enough to experience those bosses in their ORIGINAL state (I am looking at you, Vay "I-recover-all-my-shields-before-you-finish-reloading" Hek), you know how those reworks affected them.

Hell, Tyl Regor was just a Grineer Flameblade, then they changed his model and gave him (iirc) Slash Dash as extra ability. Look at him now.

when is DE gonna realize that Pluto is not a planet anymore. ask Neil Degrasse Tyson

Thank you! Although, Sedna, Phobos, and Ceres are not "planets" either. So, welcome to the far future where all the celestial bodies are Earthlike.(due to terraforming?)

As for the boss. I hope there is something in the works. Kela and Nef will be exciting to see. If they turn out well, then I won't worry about how Ambulas will turn out.

Edited by AutoPhox

I was running hyena pack last night to get regular Loki for mastery. Same thing OP describes, was able to kill two of them in under ten seconds. However, noticed one of the runs, I pubbed straight into the boss room and a MR 5 and MR? >3 were both dead from the hyenas. I rezzed them both and then killed the bosses.

The point? Sometimes we forget what the game is like without maxed mods, forma'd weapons, many frames to choose from and parkour skills. I think they do the boss thing right, with half of them easy to middling, and the remainder harder with the "stages" to slow things down. So IMO no changes to bosses are necessary. Some should be easy, some harder. 

I was running hyena pack last night to get regular Loki for mastery. Same thing OP describes, was able to kill two of them in under ten seconds. However, noticed one of the runs, I pubbed straight into the boss room and a MR 5 and MR? >3 were both dead from the hyenas. I rezzed them both and then killed the bosses.

The point? Sometimes we forget what the game is like without maxed mods, forma'd weapons, many frames to choose from and parkour skills. I think they do the boss thing right, with half of them easy to middling, and the remainder harder with the "stages" to slow things down. So IMO no changes to bosses are necessary. Some should be easy, some harder.

I agree about diversity of difficulty. Its good that you bring up different player experiences.

The other side of the coin is engagement. Bosses can be easier or harder and still have active engagement, like jakels legs. I think that's what is important to boss makeovers.