The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn - How Best To Use Her Since Recent Rework?

(XBOX)VehementCrusher

Question

Hello fellow Tenno,

Please let me just start by saying that I have logged many hours into this game and will likely log many more.  I use a variety of frames, and can even provide insight on builds for most of them.  I'll be honest, Saryn was a run around, use #4 and shoot some stuff, rinse and repeat type of frame for me.  I never put too much effort into doing anything different since I didn't like/use her that much.

In light of Saryn becoming the next prime and honestly wanting to give her another look since her rework, I was hoping that some of our fellow forum tenno might heip.

Bottom Line - What's the best way to utilize Saryn since her rework, maybe there's a way to make her more fun, or whatever you think might be relevant.

Thank you in advance.

16 answers to this question

Simplest way to cast molt, then spores on it, allow enemies to attack it, when molt explodes,, use miasma then. 

Just asking: if you do cast spores onto an enemy instead and then kill him with a Toxic status weapon will the effect be the same, meaning spreading both Toxic and Viral effects?

Edited by siralextraffo

Just asking: if you do cast spores onto an enemy instead and then kill him with a Toxic status weapon will the effect be the same, meaning spreading both Toxic and Viral effects?

Dunno about toxic weapons, but melee affected by Toxic Lash pops the spores. Need to test that with Acrid or something

Dunno about toxic weapons, but melee affected by Toxic Lash pops the spores. Need to test that with Acrid or something

I'm just wondering what's the best way to use Saryn while using a status weapon too, which should save some energy; I'm not sure of the sync between weapon(primaries and secondaries) and powers though.

Option A:

According to this thread here you set her up with a Trinity to supply endless energy, an Equinox to add Power Strength, a Banshee to spam enemies full of vulnerable points and THEN you deal "enormous damage" with her.

Option B: You use a less gimmicky frame and put Saryn on the Mastery Fodder shelf to wait (possibly forever) for another rework. 

What I do with her is try and spread her Spores around as much as possible. Hit a target with the Spores, then slash them with melee using Venomous Lash which will pop their spores guaranteed and spread the spores around to crowds. Move from enemy to enemy popping spores to hit the whole group, then you can do what you want to them. The Spores will drain away the entire assembled crowd while you're fighting (or retreating) and within no time they'll be dealt with. Throwing down a Miasma on top of this will often wipe the board clean as most enemies will be weakened by the Spores already. Molt makes a great escape tool by drawing fire, as well as healing you if you have Regenerative Molt.

If you really want to try and relive her old boring days then the Molt Bomb (Molt -> Spores on Molt -> Miasma) route is your best bet. It's effective, but incredibly energy intensive since it takes three ability casts to set up and execute. I personally don't use it anymore unless I need the crowd thinned out right now (an ally is downed or the Defense object is under fire) because if that's all you do you're gonna be out of energy constantly. She's sturdier now and makes for a better close-quarters fighter, but as long as you can pop the Spores you'll find her effective at dealing with the masses.

Personally I think she's way better now than she used to be. I've described it before as if she were a car: She used to have high acceleration and top speed, but she couldn't corner to save her life and her general handling was low. Now she's lost some of her high-end speed but she gained better steering, better brakes and an overall improved feel. She's a worse dragster, but a better car in general. If all you want is to go from one end of the straightaway to the other in as short a time as possible, then she's probably not the frame for you anymore. She's way more interesting to take on the full track though.

Edited by BlaineKodos

Energy intensive is an understatement if you want to utilize all abilities for maximum synergy.

You'll want Primed Flow for sure, and, as mentioned above, a way to resupply energy - Zenurik passive, Energy Restores, Energy Siphon and/or a Trinity. 

I like the melee-oriented build.

Stacks up on Strenght with neutral Duration and some Range, then go full melee with 90% DR from blocking and a constant resupply of energy from Spores+Toxic Lash.

I personally went:

Corrosive Projection

Exilus Handspring

- Transient Fortitude

- Intensify

- Stretch

- Streamline

- Primed Continuity

- Rage

- Vitality

- Regenerative Molt

Pair it with a crit weapon, i feel like Mios is the best because of range but i've been using Tipedo with great success as well. Don't forget your Life Strike. Done.

Spore here and there then proceed to wreck maximum melee devastation. Miasma works as a quick stun for hairy situations, and Molt if you need to close the distance under fire.

With regenative molt life strike is pretty redundant. I usually keep my PS at around 200% and it heals me insanely fast. As for the question I think everyone touched on it already, just spreed spores all over the place. Putting on a molt is great and cuts down spore's over all cost.

Edited by S0V3REiGN

With regenative molt life strike is pretty redundant. I usually keep my PS at around 200% and it heals me insanely fast. As for the question I think everyone touched on it already, just spreed spores all over the place. Putting on a molt is great and cuts down spore's over all cost.

That works like this: Molt+Spores+Molt again, right?

I use it as a double safety, have considered going either RegenMolt alone or just Life Strike+QT, for now i prefer this one.

They have two different roles, Regen Molt is for surviving the fire during the time in which you reach your target, life strike is for the actual healing. I guess playstyle plays a big part in the choice.

If i were to forego LS, i'd personally slap in Primed Reach though. More range is always welcome.

Few ways to play her, one is melee, one is quick ranged, one is slow ranged.

Melee is easy. Get weapons with good reach like Orthos Prime or Mios or just use Redeemer. Build for duration if you don't want to cash lash over and over again. 

Quick ranged uses fast AoE weapons like Hikou prime with concealed explosive or Ignis to spread spores.

Slow ranged is using Torid to spread spores.

Regenative molt is not nessessary for melee build. You might want rage and get life strike instead. But it's a must for ranged build.

Use a djinn too. It will get the dudes to hold still and you can spore the snot out of them.

When I use a toxic lash build the Scoliac with a primed reach is a nice melee.

But she was always my favorite to use a rage build with life strike dual Ichors. You can skip the regen molt and build heavy for armor and duration. Too bad she is a little slow. But with the arcane hemlock helmet and the armoured agility she is good to go.