The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Newb] Ash/ashprime Useless?

Littlecowardgaming

Question

Hello again.. I'll keep tagging my titles as [newb] as thats what they are.. Idiotic questions for a scrub/idiot. Please excuse the clickbait of a title.

I know most of the people in this game will say : ''Then dont play him, play someone else'' if you complain at a frame being bad. But I just know that cannot be the case.... Im currently using Ash prime, and I feel like im forcing myself to play him because I dont want to believe I made a bad investment in the game, yes sorry... I paid to get him, im sorry. 

First of all, what's my problem with him? Mostly its his useless skills.. Yes, I know they have their uses, but they are just so far outweighted by other frames abilities... Even with a full power strength build. Bladestorm is unable to kill any 30-40 mobs and overall maybe kills 1-2 mobs. I must be doing something wrong. 

Shuriken is 100% useless, unless I manage to get the armor lowering mod, but even then thats its only use. Smoke screen is a joke compared to other frames and even while trying to maintain a good balanced power duration, It lasts around 5-8 seconds (sorry for not having an exact number). His teleport I havent used very much, since I keep being teleported infront of them, and thus he just does a regular melee attack instead of a finisher. And the bladestorm I've already covered, unable to kill anything in lvl 30-40 range even with alot of strength mods. 

I love his looks, but his skills just feels completely bland to me, and I was HOPING, you people could shed some light on what im doing wrong. 

My biggest problem is that while im playing ash now, im heavily reliant on my soma prime, which though does alot of damage, often gets ammo hungry. While if I play my equally geared excalibur (honestly havent spent much time on him) with a rather not upgraded exalted blade build. I can run almost any mission, even t4 survival and one shot almost anything. 

Maybe excalibur is just overpowered? But I dont want to leave ash because im an idiot who probably is doing something terribly wrong.... What is good about ash? His skills seems so EXTREMELY weak, but I dont want to abandon him! 

Please help me out here... Im running a rather simple build like :

Continuity, streamline, flow, vitality. intensify. fleeting expertise, steel charge (cant remember name) and another random one or two.

Please give me some help on what I can do to make this frame seem better.

14 answers to this question

Add Stretch and, depending on your preference, overextended.  Bladestorm is his signature skill for good reason and he is the top damaging frame with it.  The mechanic, however, for a new player is counterintuitive when compared with other frames.  Bladestorm targets based off the target you are aiming at when you cast it and the AoE is based off the same, rather than your frame the way it is with Rhino stomp or Prime etc.  With Stretch and overextended, though, you can basically hit the entirety of the map on Draco, allowing for more bladestorm targets.

Depending on where you are in the game, basically whether or not you've done Second dream story quest, you'll want to get the Zenurik passive to really make him shine as the energy regen basically negates the cost of casting Bladestorm, meaning you can keep it up indefinitely.

Edited by (PS4)horridhal

I keep clicking on your freaking post to offer insight lol. i've had enough of you. 

but seriously keep em coming. while i don't agree with all of your points, I do see a need for threads from many players about frames. the more ideas and builds we get for frames the better it will be for the community. 

You are correct, you're doing something wrong. Bladestorm ignores armour so that means it scales far better than most attacks in the game, it will tear apart lvl 40 mobs with ease. A lot of it comes down to what mods you use and the damage for Bladestorm is affected by your melee weapon as well. I'm going to assume that you simply don't have the mods and weaponry to make him into a deadly assassin yet. What are you using? Normal Ash will require a few forma to make a good build, Prime doesn't require it.

I keep clicking on your freaking post to offer insight lol. i've had enough of you. 

but seriously keep em coming. while i don't agree with all of your points, I do see a need for threads from many players about frames. the more ideas and builds we get for frames the better it will be for the community. 

Its a forum mate. If you cant handle it. Dont go to it. Perhaps not to the players helping player section either, lol. First of all, as the post says, I am aware that what I believe of the frame is most likely wrong, and thus asking for more experienced players to point out what the strenghts of the class is. 

But hey, you're just making yourself look stupid if you come into a helping section of a forum going : ''had enough of you''. Guess what mate. Perhaps you're not good at helping people? Have a good day

Edited by Littlecowardgaming

Well first off I would suggest you read the wiki on Ash before saying he is useless. 

Shuriken deals 500 damage base which isn't terrible. More importantly it has a 100% status chance proc. That bleed proc bypasses armor and shields. Not an OMG OP amazeballs skill but far from useless. 

Smoke screen does not have the duration of Loki's or Ivara this is true,but it staggers enemies and can save you if you are in trouble. Loki and Ivara are also as squishy as soft fluffy bunnies where as Ash is far more durable. 

Teleport staggers enemies too and you get the stealth multiplier for the duration of the stagger plus being open to finishers. So yeah it's awesome.

Blade storm does enormous damage and ignores armor and shields too with a 100% bleed proc. Probably one of the most powerful Ult's in the game. 

That was just a quick rundown, like I said read the wiki, do some research online. Ash is an amazing frame. 

You are correct, you're doing something wrong. Bladestorm ignores armour so that means it scales far better than most attacks in the game, it will tear apart lvl 40 mobs with ease. A lot of it comes down to what mods you use and the damage for Bladestorm is affected by your melee weapon as well. I'm going to assume that you simply don't have the mods and weaponry to make him into a deadly assassin yet. What are you using? Normal Ash will require a few forma to make a good build, Prime doesn't require it.

I did try and breefly look into the blade storm on the wiki, I failed to see that it shares damage with your melee weapon.... 

That -might- be part of the reason its failing for me. Im using a nikana with these mods : 

truesteel, organ shatter, fury, shocking touch, north wind, spoiled strike, berserker, pressure point.

Not sure what else I could check.

with ease. A lot of it comes down to what mods you use and the damage for Bladestorm is affected by your melee weapon as well

I did try and breefly look into the blade storm on the wiki, I failed to see that it shares damage with your melee weapon.... 

That -might- be part of the reason its failing for me. Im using a nikana with these mods : 

truesteel, organ shatter, fury, shocking touch, north wind, spoiled strike, berserker, pressure point.

Not sure what else I could check.

I am fairly positive Blade Storm is not affected by melee mods. The only mods not directly associated with the frame's main 8 slots that affect Blade Storm are Steel Charge, and any speed melee mod (Fury, Berserker when activated).

Ash performs well as a Close Range, Melee Warframe.

one with higher mobility than Valkyr has.

Smokebomb is convenient to get hit less, but Teleport is really one of the best tools you have - to be able to cross maps instantly, and perform Finishers constantly on big targets.

if you're in an emergency and need to use Bladestorm, Teleport can help positioning of use, as Bladestorm puts you back where you were when you activated, you can plan for how Combat will be in the near future and move yourself to a convenient location once most of the Enemies are dead.

keep in mind Bladestorm targets further Enemies from the location of the Enemy you originally Targeted - but only inside the same Tile.

Shuriken is alright to inexpensively Kill one or two Enemies with the Slash Status.

duly note that Steel Charge is really not as amazing as it sounds. unless you're AFKFarming with Bladestorm (which then i'm done here), it's really not that impressive.

the Enemies you'll really be hurting for Damage for, are Armored Enemies... and Corrosive Projection benefits your Guns, your friends' Guns, and everything and everyone period - which is a lot more useful in the long run. you'll deal more Damage with everything OTHER than Bladestorm with Corrosive Projection - making it an easy better choice.

and note that the only Melee Mods that Bladestorm takes into account is Attack Speed (realistically just Fury and the Speed negative of Spoiled Strike, i wouldn't recommend using Quickening personally). also uses the Melee Counter (Article suggests Body Count applies to it, and i'll take it's word for it. other Mods like Blood Rush won't apply).

I am fairly positive Blade Storm is not affected by melee mods. The only mods not directly associated with the frame's main 8 slots that affect Blade Storm are Steel Charge, and any speed melee mod (Fury, Berserker when activated).

I never said the mods, I said the weapon, as in the base stats of your Melee and of course by Steel Charge aura. That being said mods like Body Count seem to affect Bladestorm as well. I'm assuming his melee base damage is holding him back as well as most likely his Warframe mods.

Edited by Zilchy

This build allowed me to kill 12 - lvl.105 Bombards in 1 cast of Bladestorm.

I'm just saying that 185% Power STR was enough to murder them in the simulacrum.

I won't discuss the use of his other skills Taiiat already did.

Ignore the Lightning Dash, my Ash was polarized before the drift mods ever came into existence.

I would probably replace it with Power Drift or Sure Footed.

rorWFgS.jpg

Do take note that you can't expect it to work "that" well in the void.

Just 1 Corrupted Ancient Healer will mess up your damage unless maybe* you were able to build-up enough combo multiplier.

Edited by Oranji

This build allowed me to kill 12 - lvl.105 Bombards in 1 cast of Bladestorm.

I'm just saying that 185% Power STR was enough to murder them in the simulacrum.

I won't discuss the use of his other skills Taiiat already did.

Ignore the Lightning Dash, my Ash was polarized before the drift mods ever came into existence.

I would probably replace it with Power Drift or Sure Footed.

rorWFgS.jpg

Do take note that you can't expect it to work "that" well in the void.

Just 1 Corrupted Ancient Healer will mess up your damage unless maybe* you were able to build-up enough combo multiplier.

That is rather amazing actually... Mind I ask what type of melee weapon you use (does it matter?). Or does bladestorm not take into account what melee weapon you're using at all? Only the speed mods? If so, I guess my undermodded nikana can still be useful on him.

That is rather amazing actually... Mind I ask what type of melee weapon you use (does it matter?). Or does bladestorm not take into account what melee weapon you're using at all? Only the speed mods? If so, I guess my undermodded nikana can still be useful on him.

It doesn't matter what melee weapon you use as the only thing that counts are whether you have Fury (increases your attack speed) or Spoiled Strike (decreases your attack speed).  Your Nikana will be fine.