The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Viral damage question

darklit

Question

I read that viral damage halfs health through shields and armour for 6 seconds. 

So so does this mean I only need a little bit of viral damage? Just to get that 50% off health and buff my regular slash and puncture and impact mods to make sure I finish them off in 6 seconds?

bassically, should I just leave my viral mods unranked just so that I can get the viral half off proc? To make room to max the classic damage types?

9 answers to this question

The Viral status effect cuts health in half.  So your weapon has a status chance, and that status has to trigger and it has to choose viral damage instead of one of the other damage types.  The easiest Viral procs on a weapon are a weapon that has few other damage types and high status chance.

From what I understand(and I could be wrong)

When you hit an enemy, you roll a chance to proc. Then If you proc, you roll again to see what type of damage it proc. Amount of damage you have will affect this 2nd roll. and I believe Physical Damage have like "chance multiplier" on them. 

But, yes. If you want to rely on status proc. The higher proc chance you can get the better.

Will recheck again to be sure.

Edit

Okay. So let say you have 50% status chance and your damage ratio is 50:50 = Physical:Viral. Physical damage are 4 times as likely to proc.(according to Wiki) So It's become 200:50 = 80:20. So 80% of the time that you proc, you'll get a Physical proc.

Edited by AhLiu338

The chance for each bullet/projectile to proc anything is determined by status chance.  If it procs, the type of proc is based off of the percentages of the damage types on your weapon.  However, like Ranui said, impact,puncture, and slash get a x4 multiplier when it roles for what effect is proced.

So let's say your gun has a 20% status chance and 50% of the damage is viral while the rest is impact, puncture, and slash.  Each bullet would have a 20% chance to proc either viral, impact puncture, or slash (only one).  20% of that time, you would proc viral because of the damage spread.  So (if my math is right) each bullet would have a 4% chance to proc viral.

Hope this helped!

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect

Edited by PikeOrShield
Incorrect information on my part

8 minutes ago, PikeOrShield said:

So let's say your gun has a 20% status chance and 50% of the damage is viral while the rest is impact, puncture, and slash.  Each bullet would have a 20% chance to proc either viral, impact puncture, or slash (only one).  50% of that time, you would proc viral because of the damage spread.  So (if my math is right) each bullet would have a 10% chance to proc viral.

That's not entirely the case. If a weapon has base physical damage then each physical damage present counts as if there was 4x more than there actually is. If you want to proc given elemental status more often than physical status(es) then you want to build 4 times your physical dmg of given elemental damage.

No such issues on weapons with base elemental damage. 

The Viral status effect cuts health in half.  So your weapon has a status chance, and that status has to trigger and it has to choose viral damage instead of one of the other damage types.  The easiest Viral procs on a weapon are a weapon that has few other damage types and high status chance.

to build on:

note that if your Weapon has Physical Damage Types, 50% of your Status Effects will be Physical (IPS). the remaining 50% is divided between your Elemental Types - note that Elemental Types that have more Damage and therefore deal more Damage are more likely to occur than ones with lower Damage values.

Edited by taiiat