Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another player thought 'solution' to Oberon

SquireAngel

So, love the Fae king and all, but he's too reaction based, where as other frames are more initiative based. Even Frosty boy in his big bubble can house up in it and take the offensive. To that end, I think a unique synergy to Oberon would make him very enjoyable, and able to take the initiative, rather than reactionary. So, let's get down to business, shall we? My thoughts are small adaptations in response to synergy, keeping his abilities at heart untouched, simply adding bits specifically for synergy, that allow his kit to perform much better, but still being a great all arounder. To make things easier, I chose Hallowed ground to be the lynch pin for his synergy, and it will show as I explain.

First we have Smite. If an enemy is struck with smite while on a hallowed ground tile, twice the orbs are generated and move at increased speed, making them much better at generating reliable CC. Hallowed Ground sees little more than a much needed range buff, increasing the ground the tile covers. It's too small, even with range, to cover enough ground. Next is Renewal. Small tweak of restoring shields if health is filled, and within hallowed ground, either boosts power or makes the effect instant for those on the tiles. Reckoning sees the smallest in adaptations. A simple buff in the base blind mechanic would greatly benefit him, seeing as how the damage falls off quickly in higher levels of enemies. This is kept in mind that Hallowed Reckoning exists. With this, Oberon dramatically extend the grasp of his control, without becoming overpowered. 

These adaptations keep the core of Oberon's kit almost untouched, but allow him to perform at a level fairly equal with other great frames, while still feeling unique to the Fae King. 

So, what are your thoughts?

We can think of band aid solutions all day, but Oberon needs a rework still. None of his abilities have synergy nor fulfill his fantasy. I would not even call him reaction based, he just doesn't do a whole lot in general. As far as decent band aid solutions, his hollowed ground and reckoning could just use range buffs desperately. 

1 minute ago, SilvaDreams said:

I think all these Oberon threads need to stop popping up on a daily basis, Mag is getting her rework so she is useful across the board, Volt might get one and that means Oberon is in line for some serious TLC too.

People are getting excited about his fairly amazing Premium skin coming out, do you not know about The Hype Train?

Hallowed Reckoning is sorta terrible, though it had uses when the augment didn't require you to kill to get the tiny Hallowed square. Honestly, While I think Oberon is one of the more balanced warframes; I do think it might be more useful to have Hallowed Ground be a toggle on aura with a decent reach instead. This would promote more dynamic gameplay which seems to be a big focus for both the devteam and some players while giving Oberon and his team a better way of benefiting from extra armor, status resist, and low radiation damage to nearby enemies. The current Hallowed Carpet could be made into an augment or made part of Hallowed Eruption.

The main problem one might have with Oberon is that in a game of endless enemy scaling, anything that doesn't excel or focus at a particular role gets left by the wayside. Oberon is a paladin, a holy warrior type good at both fighting and healing but an expert at neither. That said, Oberon brings crowd control, healing, and damage into a cool Deer Fairy King package.

2 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Oh  I know about the skin and love it, I even used Oberon in the Thousand Cuts event.

It was even funnier to see some get salty when the Oberon kept picking them up.

Personally, I have no love for Oberon besides looks, but I also have no hate for him. I still have him, and would love a reason to dust him off and run him in more challenging content. I like higher EHP frames, and he's one of them, but I also have all the other frames, so he kinda sits at the bottom when I have 28 other choices >_>

Just now, SquireAngel said:

Personally, I have no love for Oberon besides looks, but I also have no hate for him. I still have him, and would love a reason to dust him off and run him in more challenging content. I like higher EHP frames, and he's one of them, but I also have all the other frames, so he kinda sits at the bottom when I have 28 other choices >_>

Yes unfortunately after about lvl 45 or so his powers fall off like a rock in terms of damage and that is with focused building. Some powers long before that.

1 minute ago, SilvaDreams said:

Yes unfortunately after about lvl 45 or so his powers fall off like a rock in terms of damage and that is with focused building. Some powers long before that.

This is exactly why threads are popping up. We want to love Oberon, and until his rework, we don't have jack squat to go on.

4 minutes ago, SquireAngel said:

This is exactly why threads are popping up. We want to love Oberon, and until his rework, we don't have jack squat to go on.

Well the damage falls off, utility wise people look over him. That fuzzy carpet of doom (Hallowed Ground) never falls off for use,  it increases armor and makes anyone in it immune to all status procs so he is good in the radiation hazard sorties.

Edited by SilvaDreams
Blasted auto correct

53 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

I think all these Oberon threads need to stop popping up on a daily basis, Mag is getting her rework so she is useful across the board, Volt might get one and that means Oberon is in line for some serious TLC too.

So your solution is... don't give any ideas for changes? 10/10

What is the actual issue with Oberon?

The way I see it, he is trying to fit too many themes, he looks like a druid, is named after a faery and was designed as a paladin, and his abilities fit that jumble.

The way you fix this is that you double down on what you actually want him to be.

Typically in other games a Paladin acts as an off tank, who deals single target damage and has the ability to heal and shield allies

How do you fit this to Oberon? 

Smite is bad, it feels so janky, and has limited utility, I would change it to a single target ability with a similar cast time, which brings a bolt of energy down onto a target, dealing damage with additional finisher damage based on the enemies current HP. Add in a blind somewhere and boom you have an ability that excels at dealing with priority targets

Fuse Renewal and Hallowed ground into an AOE centred on Oberon rather than as a bit of magic carpet

Add in some sort of shielding ability and a couple of improvements to reckoning and you have something that feels far better

12 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

So your solution is... don't give any ideas for changes? 10/10

No I've given them in the past many times, but people don't need to make a new thread every other day generally saying the same thing.

Everyone knows Oberon needs a rework, he has no scaling due to when he was introduced at least not to our current levels so instead of making yet another thread use the search function or put it in the feedback section.

10 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

No I've given them in the past many times, but people don't need to make a new thread every other day generally saying the same thing.

But you're saying people need to stop making threads giving ideas. You know, like this one is. They're not all just saying "he needs changes" and nothing else.

8 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

But you're saying people need to stop making threads giving ideas. You know, like this one is. They're not all just saying "he needs changes" and nothing else.

Read again, I said new threads. There is no reason to make thread after thread just because you can when you can simply add your  input to an already existing one.

7 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Read again, I said new threads. There is no reason to make thread after thread just because you can when you can simply add your  input to an already existing one.

Except these threads have different ideas. That's why people make new ones. Sorry your precious internet forum isn't all compressed into four megathreads.