Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Interception 2.0

ObviousLee

Ok folks, here's my idea.

What if interception was of the following concept: Tenno begin the mission fighting enemies past choke points that have to be hacked, while a large scale mobile fortress is enroute to a designated game over zone. this mobile fortress launches enemies in the general vicinity of the operatives for them to fight as they make their way towards the objective. once within visual range the fortress begins engaging weaponized combat against the operatives. 

fortress has long medium and short range weapons, as well as onboard crew actively engaging the operatives.

the goal is to systematically perform hit and run maneuvers to bring the fortress to halt and disable the onboard weapons. once disabled, the operatives must steal the data which will take time to extract, and make it to extraction before the fortress either self destructs(depending on how disabled) or some other possible negative situation arising.

The idea here is to step away from endless walls of power increased attrition, and substitute for mechanics based gameplay. 

So lets say you and 3 friends spawn into the mission and begin the operation. you and your team move to the first choke point and hack it to reveal the second choke point, all while fighting faction enemies enroute to, and from choke point as more units are launched into the combat zone from the fortress. Once you've made it past the 3rd choke point, and collected the last batch of intel, the location of the fortress as well as it's designated path are revealed on the minimap. So you and your team make for the mobile fortress(MF) and once it comes within visual range, the actual fun begins.

An idea i'm bouncing around with my brother is that the long and medium range weapons track active void energy, i.e. zephyr's turblance or excalibur's exalted blade. in this manner one to two of your team mates can provide a distraction for the main heavy weapons while your team mates climb aboard and begin to section by section shut down the MF. 

Methods of shutdown: triton battery overload(grineer), collected tenno void energy capsules(corpus), overload coolant, or power core removal. 

MF weapon station count: 8 long range, 6 medium range, and 4 close range. each station will be manned and guarded by elite units. 

once you disable the weapon systems, next will be crippling the MF as to prevent it reaching a game over zone/state. how this would be accomplished would be removingg the the central core or void energy overcharge (stand next to it till it goes boom), THEN the information you and your team came to collect becomes available to hack.

After the hack, the data becomes collected, and then it's off to the finish line before negative environmental issue from MF disabling occurs.

please feel free to make any additional suggestions or alterations to the op.

Edited by ObviousLee
sober and logical.

This sounds pretty good, it'd make the mode a lot of fun probably and fix the issues interception has.

I have my own ideas I need to get around to typing up into a 20 page essay for forums some day, but one of my biggest concerns over my own personal ideas is that it's similar to defense. I like how yours totally changes the idea as a whole.

i could see this as being archwing interception like a reverse of what the original archwing quest is...

but there really isnt any terrestrial vehicles so i think wed have to explore that first before a land based version of the idea could happen

sounds fun thats for sure

1440310337581.jpg

It sucks, I hate it, and you're terrible.

just kidding.

That honestly sounds like a more in depth sabotage similar the new ones in corpus ship tiles. Nifty idea, but honestly I actually like the idea of multi point "domination" type gamemodes, I just think they need a bit of polish. As a completely new gamemode though? Sure why not. I have little input at this point.

Could agree with DrMeownix on that one. Just some polish. Here's my idea:

To make things simple so it doesn't become a topic, 

1.Spawn in mission

2.Kill heavy units (guards) in Interception room. Level scales with number of people in squad

3. Intercept. Each wave/ rotation completed release a data mass, if you guys remember the old Deception.

4.If you chose to extract / extract by force, you need to survive the strong enemies and make your way to extraction with the data mass.

5.Data mass can be picked up by enemy, so make sure it doesn't get taken away. Similar to Capture missions (the ideology).

Ba bam boom. Now this is challenging.

2 hours ago, absolutecondzero said:

1.Spawn in mission

2.Kill heavy units (guards) in Interception room. Level scales with number of people in squad

3. Intercept. Each wave/ rotation completed release a data mass, if you guys remember the old Deception.

4.If you chose to extract / extract by force, you need to survive the strong enemies and make your way to extraction with the data mass.

5.Data mass can be picked up by enemy, so make sure it doesn't get taken away. Similar to Capture missions (the ideology).

op updated

I like it, I've always disliked the way Interception usually works. I think that this should actually be for the higher end areas however (since it seems like it'd overwhelm new players and low ranked frames). Perhaps the goal is to keep it from reaching a certain Solar Rail? Maybe if you really want to punch people in the face, there's random environmental hazards if you don't make it to a safe room as it passes through other Solar Rails to the 'end zone'. So you'd need to choose between losing precious seconds or ending up splatter on the wall and need to revive yourself. Or maybe that's a bit too much!

Oops, forgot to post my thoughts.

While I do really like the idea, I don't know if replacing Interception with it would be a good idea. Interception could definitely use some changes, but this seems like a radically different gamemode with little in common. With that in mind, I'd recommend instead shifting it to an idea for either a new mission type altogether on higher leveled zones (such as Pluto and Ceres) or even, if it were scaled up even more (maybe some Defense/Survival portions), a potential Trial. If not a Trial, then it could just be an advanced new type of mission (an elevated finite mission just below a Trial)--sort of like eliminating Grineer/Corpus strongholds on a planet. Anyways, you get the point.

Now that that is out of the way, I really do like this idea! It sounds like it could be a lot of fun if pulled off well, and, depending on design choices, it could actually require some coordination. I think it could also be a good place to add in those special enemies we've seen during Tactical Alerts and such--Bailiffs, Nightwatch Corps, Artificers, Datalysts, Hyenas, etc. They could provide some backup for the more common units, but they'd also be fitting elite squads for important rooms.

One thing I'd also like to touch on is your idea of tracking Void energy. Specifically targeting Tenno with active abilities or who use many could be a good way to prevent just severely cheesing it all, especially if at least one weapon also fired some sort of nullifying beam (or created nullification fields). I know people hate the idea of those, but we won't ever have something remotely challenging if we can be functionally invincible or untargetable pretty much endlessly, and I like the idea of having to work around them.

I've been wanting missions like this to become a thing for a while now, so absolutely +1.

On 3/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, absolutecondzero said:

1.Spawn in mission

how does adding more bullet sponges improve a game mode that suffers from the same issues as other game modes: bullet sponges. 

14 hours ago, Vyrndragon said:

One thing I'd also like to touch on is your idea of tracking Void energy. Specifically targeting Tenno with active abilities or who use many could be a good way to prevent just severely cheesing it all, especially if at least one weapon also fired some sort of nullifying beam (or created nullification fields). I know people hate the idea of those, but we won't ever have something remotely challenging if we can be functionally invincible or untargetable pretty much endlessly, and I like the idea of having to work around them.

a nully beam would be fantastic as a close range weapon for the fortress because the pressure should be ramping up the closer you get to the fortress, so yea i'm completely onboard with that idea