The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to wukong?

TyrannosauRayz

I think wukong is one the frame representative of DE's inability to balance mechanic and numbers. I think a coherent and fun kit with interesting mechanics should always comes first  and then nerf the numbers if it's "too strong". A fun frame will always find a public even if there are other better alternatives.

My suggestion for wukong would be

-iron jab:have size and range scale with melee counter

-defy: make it draw aggro

-cloud walker:give it a speed boost

-primal fury:give it a massive range increase even if it comes at the cost of damage

3 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

WHY

I totally understand selling items to make room for other items, but why on earth did you not wait until he was level 30 to do it?!

I don't even play him anymore at level 28 plus I'm more excited for my next Warframe than him

I can't see any usage out of him, if anything only his 1 I can see bring a very tiny bit of utilities to the table, other than that....I sold him.

There is like 30 frames so the chances of seeing every frame at a high rate is probably lower than you think. Outside of a few frames that are played to death, most frames probably don't get as much play time when compared to others. 

As for myself I still use Wukong from time to time for PVE missions that require me to grind and can reach a substantially high level. I think his defy ability makes him a worthy tank. But I don't really enjoy any of his other abilities.

PVP wise I do have a loadout built around him but it's probably my least played loadout simply because he just feels slow in PVP.

28 minutes ago, Valteria. said:

I can't see any usage out of him, if anything only his 1 I can see bring a very tiny bit of utilities to the table, other than that....I sold him.

You don't think his 2 (defy) brings utility? It's his best ability by far. You can youtube tons of videos of people tanking endlessly with him. At least they could. I haven't played him much myself for awhile so don't really know how it stacks up now. But if I had to pick an ability for him it would definitely not be his 1 lolol.

If you check my posts on this forum, you'll be quick to realize how much of a diehard Wukong fanboy I am. I think he is fun, immensely strong and I actually enjoy his looks (coloring him and seeing how others color him is one of the favorite activities of mine in the game).

The fact that he doesn't bring a lot of utility to the group doesn't bother me much, since he was never meant to be a utility frame. He's a tank frame. But I can say this: after your regular Loki, Excalibur and Trinity are all dead on the floor in the Sortie and you are the only one left still standing and are able to revive them without giving two sh*ts about enemy fire...... it's kinda hard to say he is in any way useless (He's also a very good candidate for the Decaying Dragon Key in Vault Runs).

As to the original point of this thread, well, I don't mind that he is underrated at all. I'm more than happy to main a less commonly used frame. It means I relate to other fellow fans a lot more than if I were to main Loki or Ash or any other frame whose fanbase is so all over the place and without personality (like GoT's fanbase), and it keeps him under the nerf radar.

(Besides, he's not the only minority out there. When do I ever actually see a Mesa, an Atlas, a Booben, an Equinox, or many others in my game? Hardly ever. It's what happens when you add a new frame every other month for three years straight.)

Before I used him, I was quite disappointed about his abilities as they look quite boring.

After using him for some times, I would say I like his Cloud walker the most.

The main usage I found from it, is to dodge dangerous attack / projectiles from the enemy. I remember there was a recent tactical alert where we have to fight an enhanced Corpus giant robot (forgot the name) by hacking the bursa that spawned and stunned it before we can damage it.

The robot fires tons of missiles from time to time which can potentially 1-shot us. And I dodged them with Cloud Walker every time.

I know Defy is actually more reliable and easy to use in this aspect, but using Cloud walker in this way is more fun, and I think maybe that's how all the other durable abilities should have been : you choose the right moment to cast the ability to benefit the most, rather than turning an ability on the just leave it there, like Iron Skin, Warding Halo, Hysteria. You actually feel like it's a real tactical combat rather than a god mode slaughter.

Right now I use him from time to time, but not often, The reason behind is that he basically can't die even if you want to if you turn on defy and it makes the game too easy, although it is already more tactical than hysteria with the interaction between toggling and energy consumption.

But with more and more new frames coming in, It will eventually happen to more frames as there will always be some more popular than the others. I found that there are even less Nova and Nyx to be seen right now, yet they are considered pretty potent and perhaps a bit op than the others already.

11 hours ago, MrAnderson19 said:

Well there is Wukong who can get invincible with his second ability and has a melee weapon in his fourth ability ...... (the other stuff isnt rly considerable)

and then there is Valkyr... wich can get invincible and has a melee weapon in her fourth ability... 

The Problem is that Valkyr is way easier to use and mod .... so why take Wukong when there is Valkyr? :D

9 hours ago, ViS4GE said:

He is like a Valkyr, but not as good. Sure he can be decent, but why bother ?

MrAnderson19 you are 100% correct but the reason why you should take Wukong is because when you build him correctly he is better than Valkyr, because while defy and primal fury is on he can have infinite energy due to taking damage with the rage mod, so much energy infact you can boost your damage further with channeling. With his additional range its also much easier to deal with nullifier bubbles. As for other nul units having two abilities means you can use defy when primal fury is jammed.

Well, about every dozen missions I play (not counting solo plays, obviously), I see a Wukong about 3 of those 12 missions. So about 25% of the time... not completely non-existent. 

Also, seeing as you have to get his BP from the dojo... I suppose alot of those players not playing Wukong have that particular hurdle to deal with. Myself? I just have so many warframes to use first...

Edited by Schregger
spelling

If you are finding Wukong lacking.  Maybe you should slow down a bit, aka no berserk.  Wukong is about utilizing his combos, and in the end he will be doing great damage.  Or you can just E,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e and wonder why people are out preforming.  I will say this again.  I went up against a Exalted Excal, and won with Wukong on multiple occasions.  While Excaliber at the start has way more range, if a wukong with max Primed Reach and decent power range gets at least 9-20 kills  You WILL be able to dominate your section of the map through smartly using your combos.  Seriously, I think more people SHOULD play him if they want a good melee experience because he actually rewards you for doing more then just spamming E.  More attack range, and more Damage.

1 hour ago, achromos said:

If you are finding Wukong lacking.  Maybe you should slow down a bit, aka no berserk.  Wukong is about utilizing his combos, and in the end he will be doing great damage.  Or you can just E,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e,e and wonder why people are out preforming.  I will say this again.  I went up against a Exalted Excal, and won with Wukong on multiple occasions.  While Excaliber at the start has way more range, if a wukong with max Primed Reach and decent power range gets at least 9-20 kills  You WILL be able to dominate your section of the map through smartly using your combos.  Seriously, I think more people SHOULD play him if they want a good melee experience because he actually rewards you for doing more then just spamming E.  More attack range, and more Damage.

lol his damage does not come from combos. Its much more effective to spam e like so: E,E,E pause, E,E,E pause, E,E,E pause, whilst sliding.

18 hours ago, g4yb4ll said:

the problem is he has an identity crisis and is really ant man who thinks he's the fabled monkey god that he is not

This. All of this.

Wukongs inspiration is Sun Wukong, the legendary Monkey King. But somehow the artists over at DE decided to scrap that and create the worst representation of Wukong, and honestly designed frame in game imo. 

Seriously, how do you go from Monkey King to freaking creepy looking ant face thing with some Chinese inspired clothing? The only things that hint towards Sun Wukong on Wukong are his abilities and name. It's honestly sad.

2 hours ago, Ellthan said:

Well, see, everyone was hyped when they saw wukong gifs of his staff being 80m wide and when his nerfed version came in this build everyone was incredibly dissapointed.

Ha, please. All you need to do is spam duration and you can stay afk in the middle of 20 level 99999 bombards without dying for more than an entire minute.

Lol until you realize that you've raised his duration so high that you're getting no power back from rage because you're not taking damage in your invulnerable state.......and promptly run out of energy and die.  :p

6 minutes ago, Ellthan said:

No, not really.

Once the invincibility ends, they re-"kill" you and you gain all the energy back from the lost health.

I got 10-12 seconds my my defy and I can still die about 15 or so times without any input before running out of energy.

You can easily reactivate defy and then it refreshes and sets your hp high again after taking lethal damage.