Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Replacement Mouse

Zoracraft

Question

Hello.

I've been using a Razer Orochi for the past year or so, and have been pretty pleased with its performance. However, recently the side buttons have been flaking out, which has made me have to rebind those actions to the keyboard, which defeats the purpose of the gaming mouse. When I use the orochi, my palm is usually on the desk, but I have considered getting a bigger mouse so I can put my palm on the mouse to be more accurate in CS:GO, TF2, Warframe, and Tennogen editing. I use a laptop, so whatever mouse I use has to be compatible with it, and be able to be portable.

Here are some criteria:

- At least 2 side buttons

- Durable, I want this thing to last a few years. Will be transported in a laptop bag, so should be able to withstand the pressures that brings.

- Gaming mouse sensitivity and precision- Has to be usable on a variety of surfaces, as I use my laptop on the go.

- Wireless mice preferred, but I had to wire my orochi since my laptop doesn't have built-in Bluetooth capabilities (Logitech doggles do work on it though)

- Roughly the size of the Orochi (small). If changing anything, slightly longer and maybe wider, but I don't want it to become cumbersome or heavy.

Thanks to anyone that helps :D

Zoracraft

EDIT: I would prefer if the mouse was under $100 as well

Edited by Zoracraft
Price addition

20 answers to this question

I would say go with the Razer Naga, they have a wired and wireless verson (Rechargeable). It has a total of 12 buttons on the side, 1-4 interact with each of your abilities, and you can set the rest to interact with your gear slots, or other things. I have had mine for 2 years now, it it has not ever failed on me, it is light, and the only drawback would probably be the size, since its a big-ish mouse.

EDIT: The Razer Naga Epic is what has the wireless version. But the same things I said above apply.

EDIT 2: It also has Razer Synpase as you know, which is great for everything from Surface Calibration, to setting macros.

Edited by PoisonHD

Personally I use the Logitech G502. Which I do much love. Has a nice thumb rest and a total of 5 programmable buttons, a good amount but not overkill. It comes with weights, so you can tune how heavy you want the mouse.

- It has two side buttons

- It is pretty durable, i dropped it opening it up and it still works fine.

- Logitech has a control panel so you are able to adjust sensitivity and calibrate the mouse on different surfaces.

- It does only come in a wired version as far as i know

- It does seem to be a bit longer, but it is less wide.

I use an old Logitech mx518 (I think).

It never failed me in the past 6 or seven years.

recently the mouse wheel has had some problems, but those were fixed by disassembling the mouse, removing all the dirt that has been trapped in there and reassembling it.

+1 for the Logitech Proteus Core G502. I previously owned a Razer and it failed me after a couple years. The Logitech I own now is great, It has enough buttons for almost any game. It has 11 programmable buttons (a previous post said 5 but it is 11) and they are all conveniently located. The software is much better than razer's, it is easier to use and more reliable. The G900 would be a good wireless mouse. It has a different design then the G502 but its optical sensor seems better and has a few more upgrades.

Edited by RideaTear

17 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

I use an old Logitech mx518 (I think).

It never failed me in the past 6 or seven years.

recently the mouse wheel has had some problems, but those were fixed by disassembling the mouse, removing all the dirt that has been trapped in there and reassembling it.

I also use an MX518. It's a great mouse but sadly they don't make them anymore.

1 hour ago, PoisonHD said:

I would say go with the Razer Naga, they have a wired and wireless verson (Rechargeable). It has a total of 12 buttons on the side, 1-4 interact with each of your abilities, and you can set the rest to interact with your gear slots, or other things. I have had mine for 2 years now, it it has not ever failed on me, it is light, and the only drawback would probably be the size, since its a big-ish mouse.

EDIT: The Razer Naga Epic is what has the wireless version. But the same things I said above apply.

EDIT 2: It also has Razer Synpase as you know, which is great for everything from Surface Calibration, to setting macros.

This is my mouse of choice. From the feel to the software there's a lot to like. The battery life isn't anything to write home about, but it has a long cord.

39 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

I've looked at the naga, but I'm afraid I would accidentally hit the extra buttons. The two on the orochi do fine for me (One for reload, one for interact), though I guess more options can't hurt

Has anyone had experience with a Razer Taipan? It looks like it would be cool, and it's only an inch longer than the orochi with two more buttons than it (in addition to the sensitivity adjusting buttons)

25 minutes ago, Zoracraft said:

I've looked at the naga, but I'm afraid I would accidentally hit the extra buttons. The two on the orochi do fine for me (One for reload, one for interact), though I guess more options can't hurt

Has anyone had experience with a Razer Taipan? It looks like it would be cool, and it's only an inch longer than the orochi with two more buttons than it (in addition to the sensitivity adjusting buttons)

I haven't tried the taipan, but on the issue of hitting the buttons on the side by mistake. That's not much of an issue, since the buttons are very hard to hit accidentally, since they require actual pressure to hit them, just enough so that you don't accidentally hit them.

Sorry if that made no sense.

OP it seems you value precision accuracy as highly as I do. Having played FPS games seriously for many years with my trusty optical sensor driven Logitech MX300, it finally broke and being discontinued I had to find something new. After going through both a Razer Deathadder and Mamba, I came to the conclusion that laser miice just aren't as precise for FPS and went searching for a good Optical mouse.

The Steel Series Rival has the best sensor on the market so I took a chance on it and have been blown away by it's performance. It has 2 extra buttons for the thumb on the side and is incredibly accurate. Give it a shot if you want a proper FPS shooter mouse, you won't regret it. It's also held up fine for wear compared to the flimsy Razer mice that seem to break far too easily. Paired with a cheap Steel Series Qck cloth pad it's the best mouse I've used in years, I even bought a second for when it eventually dies incase it gets discontinued.

Edited by Zilchy

1 hour ago, Zilchy said:

OP it seems you value precision accuracy as highly as I do. Having played FPS games seriously for many years with my trusty optical sensor driven Logitech MX300, it finally broke and being discontinued I had to find something new. After going through both a Razer Deathadder and Mamba, I came to the conclusion that laser miice just aren't as precise for FPS and went searching for a good Optical mouse.

The Steel Series Rival has the best sensor on the market so I took a chance on it and have been blown away by it's performance. It has 2 extra buttons for the thumb on the side and is incredibly accurate. Give it a shot if you want a proper FPS shooter mouse, you won't regret it. It's also held up fine for wear compared to the flimsy Razer mice that seem to break far too easily. Paired with a cheap Steel Series Qck cloth pad it's the best mouse I've used in years, I even bought a second for when it eventually dies incase it gets discontinued.

I don't think my aiming problem is the mouse's fault as much as that I can't put my palm on it (and I'm not the best at quick reactions :/) However, I will definitely consider the rival

2 hours ago, Zoracraft said:

I don't think my aiming problem is the mouse's fault as much as that I can't put my palm on it (and I'm not the best at quick reactions :/) However, I will definitely consider the rival

Fair enough, I was a serious Counter Strike player for years so a mouse that doesn't skip at all was desired. The build quality of the Rival alone puts it ahead of the Razer mice if you want something solid and reliable. It's not a small mousr either so you'd be able to rest your palm on it.

UtechSmart Pluto 8200 DPI

I just got this mice recently and it's very nice.  It has the 2 side buttons that you were looking for but its not wireless.  Medium-sized i'd say but it fights you palm comfortably and it has adjustable weight.  Price is less than $40.   You can check out reviews on it on youtube and see if it's the right fit for you.

As others here have said, I recommend the Razer Naga. Large enough to rest your palm on, fingers rest comfortably in the curved mouse buttons, good weight, long removable cord (no experience with Synapse here, it's not compatible with Win 8.1), the 12 side buttons are a godsend imo, they can't be accidentially hit and there's enough of them that the only keyboard usage I have ingame besides typing is WASD and Shift, movement and sprint/roll. The only thing I can think of that could qualify as a downside is it's $60 USD price tag, but it's worth every cent.

That Corsair looks nice, and the precision button sounds pretty nice to use. The Titan and death adder also look good, each with the nice amount of buttons, but a naga or naga hex could be good as well.

If anyone still has recommendations, feel free to post, I haven't made a decision yet

Razer Imperator is my advice...i have it for 4-5 years and since i work on the ship i travel a lot (with plane) and this thing is indestructible. can't tell for everybody but it's perfect for my hand (i have rly big hands). And it's exclusive for right handed players so if you are lefty,forget about it.

What surfaces do optical mice have trouble tracking on? I don't use a mousepad, so the range of materials could be from wood to cardboard or paper to plastic. I hear optical mice are more precise, but laser mice are more adjustable. I am wondering which I should pick.

Also, my orochi only weighs ~60 grams, so any mouse of these will be an increase. The death adder is closest, at ~100 grams, while the Titan is ~130 to ~150 depending on edition. I couldn't get a weight on the corsair, and the nagas weigh as much as the titans. Any suggestions on these factors?