The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There are no southerners in Warframe

Chef_Lu_Bu

22 minutes ago, Xardis said:

Why does any community has to get infected with this crap? Why does warframe has to have characters with all actents we know? What, you dont feel represented? Why do you have to be represented as you are in a VIDEO GAME? Its a work of art, its functional but still art, the world of this game is fictional. Deal with it, there is no need to change the game to suit your representation standard just as noone will change Mona Lisa to look like you for you to be represented. You have a problem dear sir, not with teh game but with your unrealistic needs.

Fiction is not reality, thus there is not need to change it to look more like reality since it fiction.

Uhm.  If you had said this to anyone that wasn't a white male (as per the picture provided) you'd have a riot on your hands.  This is incredibly rude, degrading and toxic. 

6 hours ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

Buck teeth are large front teeth with a gap. Because of that, I smile like this

ae-vkuDP.jpg

Dear God, you could be a Canadian with facial fur like that. You also seem to be wearing a lumberjack shirt ..........

[DE}Scott cries himself to sleep at night over wanting a beard like that.

19 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Uhm.  If you had said this to anyone that wasn't a white male (as per the picture provided) you'd have a riot on your hands.  This is incredibly rude, degrading and toxic. 

What does race and gender have to with this subject? Representation in and subject by individuals with your race and gender is degrading, it assumes that all individuals with those traits have the same views. I want to be represented by someone I agree with not with someone who only looks similar to me.

I will restate my question: if you could would you change Mona Lisa or any masterpiece for that matter to you so you could be direcly represented by it? Why do you have to be direcly represented in a ficion? I can feel represented by anyone or anything as long as it agrees with my views, at the end those and my actions matter more than my race and gender. Ask yourself it you can do that too, if not think why is that.

Edited by Xardis

22 hours ago, Xardis said:

Why does any community has to get infected with this crap? Why does warframe has to have characters with all actents we know? What, you dont feel represented? Why do you have to be represented as you are in a VIDEO GAME? Its a work of art, its functional but still art, the world of this game is fictional. Deal with it, there is no need to change the game to suit your representation standard just as noone will change Mona Lisa to look like you for you to be represented. You have a problem dear sir, not with teh game but with your unrealistic needs.

Fiction is not reality, thus there is not need to change it to look more like reality since it fiction.

I think you should chill out.

17 hours ago, Keltik0ne said:

Dear God, you could be a Canadian with facial fur like that. You also seem to be wearing a lumberjack shirt ..........

[DE}Scott cries himself to sleep at night over wanting a beard like that.

I make a mean poutine as well.

9 hours ago, Xardis said:

What does race and gender have to with this subject? Representation in and subject by individuals with your race and gender is degrading, it assumes that all individuals with those traits have the same views. I want to be represented by someone I agree with not with someone who only looks similar to me.

I will restate my question: if you could would you change Mona Lisa or any masterpiece for that matter to you so you could be direcly represented by it? Why do you have to be direcly represented in a ficion? I can feel represented by anyone or anything as long as it agrees with my views, at the end those and my actions matter more than my race and gender. Ask yourself it you can do that too, if not think why is that.

Your example of the Mona Lisa is flawed; it is a historical portrait of an as yet unidentified person, and not a work of fiction.  Inclusiveness has nothing to do with that particular item, at all.

As to gender/race; if you had told a person of color that they shouldn't feel the need to be represented in something as simple a a video game, you'd be labeled a racist.  If you had told someone of a religious "minority" that they should not be represented in a video game, you would be labeled a bigot. If you told someone of an oppressed gender (not sex) that they should not be represented in a video game, you would be labeled as a hateful, Xphobic person. 

If you can't say the same thing to every person of ethnicity/religion/orientation, then you shouldn't be using that as a blanket argument to make someone shut up.  There is no good reason to not include something as simple as race/origin/speech/religion/orientation to a video game.  It adds positive diversity and appeals to a wider base of players.  

19 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Your example of the Mona Lisa is flawed; it is a historical portrait of an as yet unidentified person, and not a work of fiction.  Inclusiveness has nothing to do with that particular item, at all.

As to gender/race; if you had told a person of color that they shouldn't feel the need to be represented in something as simple a a video game, you'd be labeled a racist.  If you had told someone of a religious "minority" that they should not be represented in a video game, you would be labeled a bigot. If you told someone of an oppressed gender (not sex) that they should not be represented in a video game, you would be labeled as a hateful, Xphobic person. 

If you can't say the same thing to every person of ethnicity/religion/orientation, then you shouldn't be using that as a blanket argument to make someone shut up.  There is no good reason to not include something as simple as race/origin/speech/religion/orientation to a video game.  It adds positive diversity and appeals to a wider base of players.  

Some of them really don't have a place in game sometimes, this may be a case but, until we know what happened before all of this, we can't decide if the 'Southern' accent got phased out earlier in the Warframe history.

Just now, Basdiow said:

Some of them really don't have a place in game sometimes, this may be a case but, until we know what happened before all of this, we can't decide if the 'Southern' accent got phased out earlier in the Warframe history.

I'm not arguing against that, I'm arguing against the idea that people have no right to ask for inclusiveness in a video game.

I agree with the idea that most accents will have disappeared due to constant inter-planetary communication though.  Per, I think? Sixty5's topic about Warframes current in gate date, this is all taking place at least 5,000 years from today.  So yeah, good chance almost all accents present today are gone. 

For some reason I feel like the North American, South American, Asian, African, and Oceanian accents would of been phased out with the European accents being dominant.

Or maybe I just want to hear a bunch of French people, I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

For some reason I feel like the North American, South American, Asian, African, and Oceanian accents would of been phased out with the European accents being dominant.

As a German, I can not tolerate your liking for my Erbfeind.

2 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

In that respect, it would truly be best to assume all the current world's actual identity of accent or whatever have long been phased out with the rise of the Orokin if not before that, as you say. The Canadian style would simply be a by-product of where the makers of the game come from.

It wouldn´t be "wrong" to include certain parts that "resemble" current-day accents, but neither is actually "necessary". There´s no actual need for DE to go out and specifically bring in people so that they can include specific ones. Honestly, asking for representation of almost the entire Earth's lingual stances would be an unreasonably large demand, especially backed by the destruction of much of what exists today. The Orokin themselves, specifically those referred to as "golden emperors" or whatever, are probably the ones represented in the speech of the present-day Warframe's standard-shape human beings, not the Canadians themselves. 

Are we even sure how many non-Canadian accents are in the game? I can´t tell. Is Teshin speaking it? Is Maroo speaking it? Regardless, with the way the voices are altered via technological means to bring them into the game maybe one should just disregard that the Canadian influence exists. 

6 minutes ago, Basdiow said:

Let's admit it. China is supreme ruler even now.

As for how the character(or ourselves should look like in the future) shouldn't it be like the basic genetics eye example? Brown eyes are stronger genes so why are our operators allowed blue eyes? Or why would there be redheads since even today it is said they will phase out in the next few decades?

Honestly I am glad I am what I am. Everyone in the future is going to look like me, badass.

1 minute ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

As for how the character(or ourselves should look like in the future) shouldn't it be like the basic genetics eye example? Brown eyes are stronger genes so why are our operators allowed blue eyes? Or why would there be redheads since even today it is said they will phase out in the next few decades?

Honestly I am glad I am what I am. Everyone in the future is going to look like me, badass.

Besides, brunettes make better psychos. ;)

1 hour ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

Yes my genes are either good or slowly dying....

1 hour ago, Noamuth said:

Diversity is not a good thing inherently, its only beneficial if it adds something besides itself it the dialoge. There is no good reason to put every race/origin/speech/religion/orientation into the game if it doesnt add anything. If anything those aditions can be hurtfull at times, why is there a black man if there are no other black people at all. If you cast added that without a reason it hurts narrative. Just like that - why should you be represented in religious form in a game where the only religion is Void as per Nef Anyo. In any case like that, there must be a good reason to add traits, if you just slap it in there it could hurt the game, not help build it.

We all have a set of predetermined traits, we dont have thoe control over them, they define us, but they do not make us uniqe, there are loads of people with similar traits. What differs us from each other are what we do and think - and this should be represented. As a white male (a worst kind of human by feminism 3.0 standards) I think that things like gender/race/origin/orientation/speech/religion(but it can be changed, its rather a form of indoctrination, not a trait IMHO) shouldnt primarly determine who anyone is. What should matter is what you do and think. And this can be only represented by yourself.

If you have to see a character identical to your own in a game to feel represented, thats sad IMHO. You cant look upon yourself from other perspective, thats egocentric. And this is limiting. You play games that make things, that would be in reality impossible, possible. Why not go a step further and change yourself in this changed world? You dont have to make Geralt black/asian/woman to enjoy Wither games. And it still appealed to a large audience, making him a fully customisable character would harm the game, not benefit.

Making every option possible in a game that doesnt justify doing it is a bad decision. Making main character of Life is Strage a black boy would destroy a game. Make a valid point why should someting be implemented into the game, not just coz you want to be represented. You are represented despite that, by chat and by your choices.

Edited by Xardis

1 minute ago, Xardis said:

Diversity is not a good thing inherently, its only beneficial if it adds something besides itself it the dialoge. There is no good reason to put every race/origin/speech/religion/orientation into the game if it doesnt add anything. If anything those aditions can be hurtfull at times, why is there a black man if there are no other black people at all. If you cast added that without a reason it hurts narrative. Just like that - why should you be represented in religious form in a game where the only religion is Void as per Nef Anyo. In any case like that, there must be a good reason to add traits, if you just slap it in there it could hurt the game, not help build it.

We all have a set of predetermined traits, we dont have thoe control over them, they define us, but they do not make us uniqe, there are loads of people with similar traits. What differs us from each other are what we do and think - and this should be represented. As a white male (a worst kind of human by feminism 3.0 standards) I think that things like gender/race/origin/orientation/speech/religion(but it can be changed, its rather a form of indoctrination, not a trait IMHO) shouldnt primarly determine who anyone is. What should matter is what you do and think. And this can be only represented by yourself.

If you have to see a character identical to your own in a game to feel represented, thats sad IMHO. You cant look upon yourself from other perspective, thats egocentric. And this is limiting. You play games that make things, that would be in reality impossible, possible. Why not go a step further and change yourself in this changed world? You dont have to make Geralt black/asian/woman to enjoy Wither games. And it still appealed to a large audience, making him a fully customisable character would harm the game, not benefit.

Making every option possible in a game that doesnt justify doing it is a bad decision. Making main character of Life is Strage a black boy would destroy a game. Make a valid point why should someting be implemented into the game, not just coz you want to be represented. You are represented despite that, by chat and by your choices.

You´ve just summarized what I´ve been trying to get the many self-righteous and naive people in my surroundings to consider(there´s still resistance). Impressive seeing so much of the train of thought put into one post.

Not really sure what I can add to it, but I know I can add an approval point, so that´ll have to do.

8 hours ago, Basdiow said:

****, ****, ******, *****, ********. There, perfect French (English humor).

On the topic of accents it's mostly from your environment. You can see this with people that spend a long time overseas. Their accent will sound different and even their speech pattern might change. It's a way for the human body to fit in with others. In other words everyone would probably sound like a mix of the largest populaces to begin with. It would start to waver as we travel further and create pocket communities in space.

Though the interesting thing is that in some communities they have no accent at all. In Australia we have something called the Canberran accent. Those that are raised and live in Canberra tend not to have an accent at all. Which surprising considering the people that originally lived in Canberra and those that live just outside Canberra have/had a rich Australian accent. An accent can cover a person's pitch/tone and is identifiable. However in this community there is no sweeping accent that can be used to identify them, everyone just speaks plainly with their own pitch and tone.