The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The current state of bipedal movement

Chef_Lu_Bu

Would you be excited about a quadrupedal or millipedal style of legs/movement for a future warframe? Perhaps something more naga-esque or a centaur? Should all frames have 2 arms and 2 legs and one head or is there room in the future space ninja golem genre for something with a bit more in the body part department.

1 minute ago, reptillicus said:

Considering how much work it would take to animate, model, and code in the interactions with the environment; the chances of  something like that to be a thing are essentially zero.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the designers at DE, but Hi-Rez games does it with Smite with obviously less environment interaction but no less diversity of character.

Just now, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not the designers at DE, but Hi-Rez games does it with Smite with obviously less environment interaction but no less diversity of character.

Yes, but in smite do the characters do backflips, climb up walls, dodge and glide in the air, and most importantly do they perform highly acrobatic melee attacks? For example how in the world would a centaur or naga do the scythe, glaive and other floaty stances? 

There are just to many problems with this concept for it to be a thing in a game as acrobatic as Warframe.

3 minutes ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

The thing is, there are a lot shared animations, like dropping from the liset at the beginning of a mission, kneeling at the various sitting spots, playing with a kubrow, parkour, etc. They would have to kinda remake all of those.

1 minute ago, Catacomb said:

The thing is, there are a lot shared animations, like dropping from the liset at the beginning of a mission, kneeling at the various sitting spots, playing with a kubrow, parkour, etc. They would have to kinda remake all of those.

True true, a fair point.

2 minutes ago, reptillicus said:

Yes, but in smite do the characters do backflips, climb up walls, dodge and glide in the air, and most importantly do they perform highly acrobatic melee attacks? For example how in the world would a centaur or naga do the scythe, glaive and other floaty stances? 

There are just to many problems with this concept for it to be a thing in a game as acrobatic as Warframe.

True, unfortunate. :[

I just thought about this, what about extra limbs that are not always there, like either they fold on his back (or anywhere), his existing limbs split into more, or are materialized only when needed (similar to Ivara's bow), that way the warframe can do most of the shared animations, and pop his extra arms or legs only during missions(combat,running and for his skills). Kind of a compromise?

Well there could be a warframe that could work similarly to Equinox except one of the two forms is non-humanoid and has different ranged and melee attacks to make up for it's inability to use weapons normally as well as only being able to hack and do other similar actions while in "human" form.

1 minute ago, Neo3602 said:

Well there could be a warframe that could work similarly to Equinox except one of the two forms is non-humanoid and has different ranged and melee attacks to make up for it's inability to use weapons normally as well as only being able to hack and do other similar actions while in "human" form.

Would remind me of Odin from FF13, actually. That could work really well.

2 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

even better idea than mine T_T

45 minutes ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

Would you be excited about a quadrupedal or millipedal style of legs/movement for a future warframe? Perhaps something more naga-esque or a centaur? Should all frames have 2 arms and 2 legs and one head or is there room in the future space ninja golem genre for something with a bit more in the body part department.

Though this would be amazing, it would bring up many problems such as:

When extracting from a mission

Weapon usage

It would need it's very own animations just to move, jump, wall dash, slide, bullet jumping and how would it use other animations, such as limbo agile.

Archwing

just to name a few

53 minutes ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

I would love to see a Naga Esque or millipede style of frame.  As for the back flips and other parkour movement issues.  A frame with a millipede wouldn't at least need near as much movement like that.  Instead it could have altered wall stick and climb, where it could not only hang onto walls or ceilings but move with out the risk of falling off.  

37 minutes ago, Neo3602 said:

This would also be fantastic to see.

Just now, reptillicus said:

Well, it can be some sort of Hysteria-like mode. Something like "werewolf-frame" with ultimate to turn into quadruped creature with unique moveset and melee combos.

I'd actually like to see Archwings go from wings that we wear to animalistic and space ship mecha designs independent of the Warframe. Archwings feel like their own game just waiting to happen instead of being a throw away experience for too many. 

Also...

I hope they can get better animation on are stealth crawl. I feel like we should be gliding across the ground like mongooses, instead of the comical toilet bowl crawl we have now. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I hope they can get better animation on are stealth crawl. I feel like we should be gliding across the ground like mongooses, instead of the comical toilet bowl crawl we have now.

I agree, the stealth crawl is not what I expect from a ninja. Perhaps waframes should be able to resort to all fours for certain moves while crouched.

13 minutes ago, Tzolkat said:

A naga frame jumping from the landing craft or a grate in the ceiling at mission start.. I don't know why but the mental image of this makes me laugh.

If you've played XCOM 2, the way the snake folk in that move is exactly what I would imagine.