Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Do You Believe Happens After Death?

AnOldAlias

23 minutes ago, MidgetsTossingPractice said:

We press the revive button and a grineer commander teleports us in front of a butcher who then murders us again.

So that you may know what it is to be the judge, the jury, and the executioner.

The Egg by Andy Weir

Spoiler

You were on your way home when you died.

It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.

And that’s when you met me.

“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”

“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.

“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”

“Yup,” I said.

“I… I died?”

“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”

“More or less,” I said.

“Are you god?” You asked.

“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”

“My kids… my wife,” you said.

“What about them?”

“Will they be all right?”

“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”

You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”

“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”

“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”

“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”

“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”

You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”

“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”

“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”

“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.

“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”

“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”

“Oh lots. Lots and lots. An in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”

“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”

“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”

“Where you come from?” You said.

“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”

“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”

“So what’s the point of it all?”

“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”

“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.

I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”

“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”

“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”

“Just me? What about everyone else?”

“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”

You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”

“All you. Different incarnations of you.”

“Wait. I’m everyone!?”

“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.

“I’m every human being who ever lived?”

“Or who will ever live, yes.”

“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”

“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.

“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.

“And you’re the millions he killed.”

“I’m Jesus?”

“And you’re everyone who followed him.”

You fell silent.

“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”

You thought for a long time.

“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”

“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”

“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”

“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”

“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”

“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”

And I sent you on your way.

3 hours ago, Postal_pat said:

So that you may know what it is to be the judge, the jury, and the executioner.

The Egg by Andy Weir

Hide contents

You were on your way home when you died.

It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.

And that’s when you met me.

“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”

“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.

“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”

“Yup,” I said.

“I… I died?”

“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”

“More or less,” I said.

“Are you god?” You asked.

“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”

“My kids… my wife,” you said.

“What about them?”

“Will they be all right?”

“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”

You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”

“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”

“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”

“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”

“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”

You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”

“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”

“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”

“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.

“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”

“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”

“Oh lots. Lots and lots. An in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”

“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”

“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”

“Where you come from?” You said.

“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”

“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”

“So what’s the point of it all?”

“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”

“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.

I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”

“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”

“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”

“Just me? What about everyone else?”

“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”

You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”

“All you. Different incarnations of you.”

“Wait. I’m everyone!?”

“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.

“I’m every human being who ever lived?”

“Or who will ever live, yes.”

“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”

“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.

“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.

“And you’re the millions he killed.”

“I’m Jesus?”

“And you’re everyone who followed him.”

You fell silent.

“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”

You thought for a long time.

“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”

“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”

“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”

“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”

“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”

“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”

And I sent you on your way.

Very very very close....but no cigar. Jesus was different and we are all different yet the same btu never the less im impressed with how accurate this is.

5 hours ago, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

I believe after death I go to a place where there are no longer sickness, sorrow or pain. No war but only peace and no hate but only love. I will be reunited with my dead loved ones and will walk with them on streets of gold and wonderful lush gardens. I would live in a beautiful home which would be unlike any home you see here on earth.

I like this Lord of the rings quote.

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. 

Pippin: What? Gandalf? See what?

Gandalf: White shores, and beyond, a far green countryunder a swift sunrise.

Pippin: Well, that isn't bad.

Gandalf: No. No, it isn't.

You wont be dissapointed.

11 hours ago, Ghost333 said:

I believe that once the brain dies, it is simple non-existence. No afterlife, no dreams, no thoughts, no hopes. And once it rots enough, there is no hope to bring that brain back to life. After that, it's just nothingness where you have no consciousness, so you don't care about it.

The mere thought terrifies me enough to hope that there is an afterlife, or we invent or concoct something that allows a human brain to come back from death.
I don't care if I am immobilized for eternity, I just don't want to die.

What do you think make cells do what they do, what do you think makes matter do what it does. Its you and god. When your cells can longer function you can no longer stay with them so you leave.

13 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

I believe you rot in the ground, but that's just me. Doesn't matter if I accept or refuse it, it's inevitable. 

Depends on what you consider to be you, like i just consider my body as a tool to interact with this world in a way that is natural to this world. It isn't any more of me than an exo suit or....a warframe. 

4 hours ago, Skycook3y said:

Meh, I just find something like heaven or even nonexistence much more appealing than living another life, with the possibility existing that you are born into a really S#&$ty one where you can't even better your current situation because there are no options

That theory is correct. Energy can not be created or destroyed and if i had to describe us we are intelligent energy.

7 hours ago, Sartactics said:

I maybe the only one but here's what I think: I think we're just going to live again. Now hold on to your seats, just hear me out. Instead of actually going to Heaven or Hell because they don't actually exist but you go to a Limbo only to relive again in a new body with no memories of the past. It's like we're living in a circle that can't be broken and we're just gonna proceed as this for eternity. We can't truly die, only to be brought back as another person.

Only if you choose so...

10 minutes ago, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

Very very very close....but no cigar. Jesus was different and we are all different yet the same btu never the less im impressed with how accurate this is.

Now here is where things get a bit awful. When you get someone that puts so much belief in one theory that they start talking down other theories. Although it is understandable that you have found a theory to your liking but trying to put a theory about death above another theory, is about as bad as putting one religion over the other. This is because it is all about beliefs and how much faith people put into them.  If try to dampen what someone believes in, it only leads to retaliation as they go to defend their beliefs.......then we start a crusade :D

However in between this you get the fence sitters, those that are not affiliated with either belief. There are those that blatantly point out everything we can observe, trying to crush belief with logic. Then you have those that are willing to discuss every theory from This is a virtual world - Leviticus' heaven and hell.

After my death specifically - My corpse either slowly decomposes or gets incinerated. It might get cut up by some med students. It might get separated into pieces and used to save someone's life. I don't know. Don't really care. Death is inevitable, there's no point in worrying about it.

55 minutes ago, Postal_pat said:

Now here is where things get a bit awful. When you get someone that puts so much belief in one theory that they start talking down other theories. Although it is understandable that you have found a theory to your liking but trying to put a theory about death above another theory, is about as bad as putting one religion over the other. This is because it is all about beliefs and how much faith people put into them.  If try to dampen what someone believes in, it only leads to retaliation as they go to defend their beliefs.......then we start a crusade :D

However in between this you get the fence sitters, those that are not affiliated with either belief. There are those that blatantly point out everything we can observe, trying to crush belief with logic. Then you have those that are willing to discuss every theory from This is a virtual world - Leviticus' heaven and hell.

People should not worry. Though what I know was not a theory I had proof of it so i know its true. What i know isnt a theory but what actually happens(most likely). Its like saying gravity is a theory. Though technically gravity can one day change for no reason and no longer exist, so can what i know...in theory. I do not put my faith in man made "ideas" that are likely all wrong always have been. I only believe in what I have seen.

59 minutes ago, fishworshipper said:

After my death specifically - My corpse either slowly decomposes or gets incinerated. It might get cut up by some med students. It might get separated into pieces and used to save someone's life. I don't know. Don't really care. Death is inevitable, there's no point in worrying about it.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Postal_pat said:

Crusades are just ughhh.... Killing not only is painful for someone but is a big setback for them.

No I do not accept death.

I do have a belief that when we die our energy, mind, soul thing, specifically the electrical impulses that run through our body is carried out through the magnetic field of the world. Once the sun goes off we will ride the explosion since energy can never truly be dissipated. 

Also. Not sure where I heard it but I heard it again recently from not a clue...my memory sucks... There is more but no less of what has ever existed, and we are all extreme anomalies from the remains of stars and will continue. I just care and worry about my consciousness since it  is me

The success of Internet and capitalism and data from WW2 has dramatically changed and is still changing the pace of researches. If there isnt a truck runs us over, there is a chance that we may achieve human immortallity before we are dead. However that is still just a possibility. 

But if you seek what I think after death, I will tell you it I look at it as my brain and body can no longer respond. Just like Erebus said, a sleep without dreams without waking up. 

Death is also a fear. Fear that if I dont do something that is worth being put into a history book, I will be someone that will be forgotten forever. No one will ever remember my name, no one ever know who am I, nothing prove that I exisisted, it will all boils down to a conclusion that I was never needed. And there is nothing  I can do about it.

Death is also a motivation for me that I must do something to mark my name in history. Contribute something to mankind so there will always be people remember me. 

I believe that i can't believe anything about death.

The main reason why people fear it so much is because they have no idea what is it and how it feels.

Why? Because no one ever returned to share the experience.

From scientific point of view death is... I think it's a process that ends other processes. Your heart stops beating, your blood stops fueling your brain, your brain stops working... And You, Your personality turns off with it. That last part is what people think of as death. That You, as a person, is gone.

I remember i and a friend of mine had a discussion... In which he stated that sleep is basically a mini-death. You, as a personality, literally stop existing for a short period of time, leaving your body behind. Then, in the morning, the New You is born from boot-up of your brain. Why you can tell that this New You is You? Because you remember all the things that Yesterday You remembered. Memory is what unites the person that went to sleep and the one that woke up.

So, yeah... I guess (again - don't believe, just guess) death is like going to sleep, just with no dreams and no waking up part. I mean, it's only rational...

I think Lord Erebus said the same thing in like first 10 posts of this thread.

Edited by Artek94

I just figure you have a 50/50 chance on something or nothing.

But nothing part isn't so bad as you think. Though this thought nags at me on the whole you cease to be.

If that's the case then the moment you die none of this happened. You shouldn't be aware of reading this post. It doesn't matter if you die tomorrow, or in sixty years, that eventual event should wipe out everything that happening now. Much like how you had no knowledge of life before your birth. You're going to be dead a really really long time. But it doesn't matter being dead 100,000,000 years. It's the first millisecond of absolute brain death that everything should be wiped. Yet, here we are reading, typing, and aware of our present. Memory holding steady, the self is chugging along. 

So what I'm saying it's not enough to say hey we are here and aware and when I die that's it. That doesn't matter, death cleans that slate instantly. Well it should. Like a Mortorcyclist waking up in a hospital after an accident. He went to bed the night before. Then suddenly he wakes up in hospital with sixteen hours missing, due to getting clobbered at an intersection. On death we should enter that null state of the sixteen hours missing and no reawakening. But that would be your entire life. You wouldn't know had actually existed. Yet we are aware even with the pending death that will happen in the future...that should have wiped your "now" right out of existence. 

So I lean more towards the Something...like life it will probably be nothing what you expected  on day one.