Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excavation - why are you running off???

magusat999

A couple of issues I have with PUGs and Excavation - one is people in high level Excavations (like Hieracon, Pluto Dark Sector Excavations) who run to every new "Discovery site" before the current excavation is finished. By the time you qualify for Pluto, you should know better, unless you are in a squad that has agreed to play that way - which in this case not. Your working on this Excavator, and suddenly you notice you are alone. For some this is a bother because they need a team. For others, like myself, it bothers me because I don't want to spend time reviving people, I want to spend time working on the Excavators...

Today I had an experience that was really silly. i was Trinity, there was a good Frost, the other two were like an Excalibur and something else I don't recall. Frost and I were constantly being left alone as these two .... kept running off every time Lotus said there was a new discovery.  Frost is providing Excavator protection, and I am keeping them invincible - but the choose to run away and die every 2 minutes. To add insult to injury one of them decides to extract all of a sudden before the C rotation reward - which really infuriated the Frost. He just stood there in front of the Extraction point fussing at them - and he was right. Its not Mercury - this is Pluto - if you have to leave that early you don't need to be there in the first place.

Yes, I've encountered this way more often than I care to talk about and it always goes really wrong, really fast. If you're on Triton or Hiericon, you definitely shouldn't be triggering drills alone after a certain point no matter how well you think you can solo it, as those enemies, especially the Bursa and Ancients can 1-2 hit those drills. 

What usually happens to me is some guy feels the need to hop his butt over to the next site as fast as he can while I'm defending the current drill, and by the time I reach the other point he's trying to get at, a new location pops up from behind, I trigger it, and now there's 2 drills going that need to be watched and protected, with usually only 1 Frost in the group. Stuff like this has made me do key and core farms solo or with my clan. Now, not all PUGS are like that, I played with several good PUG groups today that didn't give me much trouble.

I usually play that way. I usually run Frost so when the excavator hits the 20 seconds mark I just go to the next excavator and with Globe and CC (also Tonkor) I am able to fend off against Infested (I only play Dark Sector Excavations) until my team arrives. What I find really infuriating it's when other people do it, unless they got a Vauban or a CC frame, because they have no way of protecting the excavator and they leave me, Frost, defending the previous one so I can't put a globe on the new one. 

I played with this Excalibur the other day (I don't know why but it seems that Excal players are the worst ones in average), and he kept doing this, even after 1200 cryotic that's when I usually stop rushing. But what is worse, he just went to the next excavator when the one we were defending was at 50 seconds at least. Needless to say we got a lot of excavators destroyed.

Yeah, as stated above, during the first 100 - 1,000 with the right team, you can do this. Usually the Frost casts a fresh bubble to make sure the team/excavator is covered for the last 10-20 seconds and heads to the new one. But after a certain point, the team really needs to stick together as the excavators become too easily destroyed as someone else above mentioned. I play as Frost on these sometimes and that's how I do it. If it's an area where the excavators are close, I'll even pre-bubble them before they become marked, but even this gets risky as the levels rise. Bottom line, if you can't CC AND protect the excavator, you shouldn't be starting them.

1 hour ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Why are you playing those missions if you can defend the excavator yourself for a few seconds? It is far more efficient to keep multiple ones going at once.

Its not about defending it myself for a few seconds. Its about not having to babysit someone who cannot survive, who keeps opening up new sites he cannot defend, and just generally running around like their pants are on fire - in a higher leveled Excavation. if I am Trinity, and you stay with the current Excavator, I don't have to worry about you because you are getting Blessing from me. If you start running across the map, then that's a problem. If you start dying all over the place. The mission is to collect resources, not revive somebody over and over again because they choose to run off as if they are playing solo. Also the squad need you, especially when it starts getting tough, to be around so you can help - not halfway across the continent.

But if that person can handle themselves and not burden the squad, more power to you. Its when you cannot that's an affront to me.

15 minutes ago, magusat999 said:

Its not about defending it myself for a few seconds. Its about not having to babysit someone who cannot survive, who keeps opening up new sites he cannot defend, and just generally running around like their pants are on fire - in a higher leveled Excavation. if I am Trinity, and you stay with the current Excavator, I don't have to worry about you because you are getting Blessing from me. If you start running across the map, then that's a problem. If you start dying all over the place. The mission is to collect resources, not revive somebody over and over again because they choose to run off as if they are playing solo. Also the squad need you, especially when it starts getting tough, to be around so you can help - not halfway across the continent.

But if that person can handle themselves and not burden the squad, more power to you. Its when you cannot that's an affront to me.

Tbh, if i have that kind of player in my team i normaly try to tell them to stay with somebody so that they dont burden the team to much but if they think they still need to activate each excavator, die and it gets destroyed or other stuff i just start ignoring them and defend the excavators, after 1 or 2 times after they had to use their revives they should notice " oh hey, seems like i #*($%%@ up and if i dont stop i will permanently die here and wont be able to revive "

8 minutes ago, Fischadler said:

Tbh, if i have that kind of player in my team i normaly try to tell them to stay with somebody so that they dont burden the team to much but if they think they still need to activate each excavator, die and it gets destroyed or other stuff i just start ignoring them and defend the excavators, after 1 or 2 times after they had to use their revives they should notice " oh hey, seems like i #*($%%@ up and if i dont stop i will permanently die here and wont be able to revive "

Completely agree - only problem is some of them have a bright idea - "If my revives are about to run out, I'll just run to extraction and screw up everyone's game..." Yeah, its like that...

Just now, magusat999 said:

Completely agree - only problem is some of them have a bright idea - "If my revives are about to run out, I'll just run to extraction and screw up everyone's game..." Yeah, its like that...

If you are in a team of 4 and one of them thinks he needs to run to extraction then he cant finish the mission, it needs at least 2 people that want to extract, otherwise that is really a problem.

1 hour ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Why are you playing those missions if you can defend the excavator yourself for a few seconds? It is far more efficient to keep multiple ones going at once.

This is what I usually have in mind. Playing in a group should have an advantage over playing solo, and in excavation, this means powering up more than one excavator at the same time.

Here's how I do it efficiently: I usually run off ahead of everyone else as long as the cryotic count is still below 2k. As soon as a new excavator pops up, I immediately rush to it with a power cell on hand. Once It is activated, I hold it and, if lucky on spawns, power it up with freshly dropped cells. If no cells drop, I hold the excavator excavator until my teammates arrive with 3 more cells (enough to power it up till the last cryotic drop). Once they arrive and the excav's all powered up, I rush to the next one, rinse and repeat.

Of course, before doing any of this, I tell my squad that I'll be doing that sort of thing, and 3 people are more than enough in defending the excavator that I left behind.

Oh, one thing though, some frames may have a disadvantage solo-holding excavators, but I normally use Nyx, Excal, Frost, or Nova, which are frames that are very capable of defending the excavs against infested.

Powering excavators one by one is slow, and there's no point in grouping if the whole squad is going to do it that way.

I used to just solo 2k runs on the map with Ember before the map became popular and focus gains where not nerfed to a fraction of what was a good alternative to carry 3 other people that are afk/levelling all there stuff at once on drako.

If it is a new player ask them why they do it. If they don't realize what they do, ask them how many rewards they actually get from what they do. Most actually see your point, especially after going down at other points of the map a few times while you not move more then 20m away from your excavator for a revive.

If it is a older player just ask why they doing it. Some will see that rushing does not produce faster results, the opposite actually if they lose the excavators one by one. Then you also have the rest, that can not be reasoned with(even in sorti excavations you run into that people) that just bag her head against a wall and wonder why they end up with a bloody nose instead of a reward. It is probably a mix out of being overconfident in her own abilities, not listening to other players and not willing to play as a team. I for myself just leave the mission in that case, because it makes no sense to play with them.

7 minutes ago, Fischadler said:

If you are in a team of 4 and one of them thinks he needs to run to extraction then he cant finish the mission, it needs at least 2 people that want to extract, otherwise that is really a problem.

Whatever is the least requirement is not an excuse for bad behavior. Does not excuse the player in the least even if I can hold down twelve extractors all by myself.

Just now, Green_Alien said:

This is what I usually have in mind. Playing in a group should have an advantage over playing solo, and in excavation, this means powering up more than one excavator at the same time.

Here's how I do it efficiently: I usually run off ahead of everyone else as long as the cryotic count is still below 2k. As soon as a new excavator pops up, I immediately rush to it with a power cell on hand. Once It is activated, I hold it and, if lucky on spawns, power it up with freshly dropped cells. If no cells drop, I hold the excavator excavator until my teammates arrive with 3 more cells (enough to power it up till the last cryotic drop). Once they arrive and the excav's all powered up, I rush to the next one, rinse and repeat.

Of course, before doing any of this, I tell my squad that I'll be doing that sort of thing, and 3 people are more than enough in defending the excavator that I left behind.

Oh, one thing though, some frames may have a disadvantage solo-holding excavators, but I normally use Nyx, Excal, Frost, or Nova, which are frames that are very capable of defending the excavs against infested.

Powering excavators one by one is slow, and there's no point in grouping if the whole squad is going to do it that way.

What i usually do too, with a tonkor in hand.

It was never my intention to say that there are any excuses for bad behavior, i just wanted to state it out that with 1 player that hasn't gotten behind of how the game works or even worse, a troll, you can at least continue the mission, as i mentioned, sometimes i see that kind of player and after seeing that they dont want to listen and just do what they want i keep on going and looking forward to my next mission.

Unfortunately, high lvl stuff and long runs in endless missions are just nothing for PuGs :/ There's even nothing really, DE could do about it, cause it's clearly a problem with players and not with the game mechanics. You have to find somewhat competent people or solo those missions.

52 minutes ago, magusat999 said:

And that is where the rest of the squad should say, "yeah, no; we're staying, if you die you die."

Had to do that a few times on things like survivals. 

1 minute ago, DakotaStorm said:

And that is where the rest of the squad should say, "yeah, no; we're staying, if you die you die."

Had to do that a few times on things like survivals. 

Oh I  see you there... Don't get me started in Survivals. if you come with me to high level Survival I have NO MERCY. You step on that extraction area and you can hold it down until I'm ready to go. In low levels, I will accommodate - but higher levels... why is that person there in the first place!?!? I didn't come to Egaria or T4 Survival for 5 minutes - and now you can either get to work or hold extraction down until I get there. I think this is why you get attacked at extraction, to prevent this kind of behavior, wasting other people'es time. I'll respect it if you go 15 minutes, or your doing so badly you cannot go on - but when you just "decide" to extract at 5 or 10 minutes... No way... no way.

2 hours ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Not if they're getting destroyed right and left--and it sure doesn't get easier as time goes on.

Again, it's the rushtard/special snowflake mentality and an inability to stay focused on the objective. If there's any possibility of the excavator going down, stay put. Period. There's no time limit and no excuse for leaving exposed excavators.

1 hour ago, magusat999 said:

So don't. Blessing has no range limits. You can protect them no matter where they are, and you should be able to give the 99% DR too. At least until you get to the 2k mark, you should be able to protect the extractor alone and heal your team too.

My main is Trinity, BTW.