Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Share your ideas to make mastery rank more useful

-Spyro

Make mastery rank tests much harder on higher MR. Maybe higher leveled enemies due to how the game works which has artificial difficulty. I was thinking on lvl50+ on MR10 and above, so that to complete the test they ought to have maxed gear and some strategy, which is needed on high level missions such as sorties.

6 minutes ago, KuroShiranui said:

Make mastery rank tests much harder on higher MR. Maybe higher leveled enemies due to how the game works which has artificial difficulty. I was thinking on lvl50+ on MR10 and above, so that to complete the test they ought to have maxed gear and some strategy, which is needed on high level missions such as sorties.

But where's the incentive to do that?  For most, there is none. 

3 hours ago, Noamuth said:
3 hours ago, S0V3REiGN said:

I would be happy with some cosmetics per each rank. The whole progression system seems stale, no real reward for going to the next level. You just get more trades and an extra loadout slot. A lot of players see no insentive to level up.

Wait, earned ones or unlocking payed ones, hopefully ones that you earn to show your mastery

1 hour ago, KuroShiranui said:

What do you mean?

If we make the MR tests harder, to show some form of mastery and put more value behind that number, we need a reason to go past MR12 (that's the highest MR cap in the game right now)

If we aren't getting anything worth the effort of doing the harder tests, why do them if we don't have to?

1 hour ago, valiantheart5055 said:

Do you mean slots? Since there's an infinite number, why does it matter?

Edited by Noamuth
Auto correct is ebil

From a similar thread:

On 3/7/2016 at 11:53 PM, AM-Bunny said:

I saw one idea a long time ago that I liked. 

Basically, when you Forma an item, instead of resetting to Unranked, it will reset to a level matching your MR.

So theoretically, if someone ever acquired MR 30, putting a Forma on an item would keep it at maximum rank.

This would only apply to Forma though - you'd still start unranked with a fresh weapon. 

I really like this idea because it would be a solid convenience for players of high MR, while not give them a game-breaking advantage that penalises low MR players.

2 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

From a similar thread:

I really like this idea because it would be a solid convenience for players of high MR, while not give them a game-breaking advantage that penalises low MR players.

I love this idea. Not too much yet not too little. And when the fabled MR 30 is finally achievable, they have earned not to use up time re-re-leveling. 

7 hours ago, -Spyro said:

how can it will make more toxic :/

Example 1

7 hours ago, DrBorris said:

What we need is a completely separate and new ranking system to go alongside Mastery Rank that better represents how much you have progressed in the game. 

Example 2

6 hours ago, DuskLegendary said:

If you really want to see MR get some use, I suggest putting an MR lock on Sorties, as I think it's a bit absurd for new players to have access to end game content right off the bat, when they most likely won't be able to handle it without being carried.  Also, maybe it would be a good idea to put an MR lock on relays

5 hours ago, Noamuth said:

weapon (and warframe) slot every 5 ranks would be amazing.

Now this on the other hand. Doesn't affect direct gameplay, doesn't overcompensate, and it's fair to any player regardless of account creation date, skill, pocket size.

Edited by Souldend78

1 hour ago, Noamuth said:

If we make the MR tests harder, to show some form of mastery and put more value behind that number, we need a reason to go past MR12 (that's the highest MR cap in the game right now)

If we aren't getting anything worth the effort of doing the harder tests, why do them if we don't have to?

Do you mean slots? Since there's an infinite number, why does it matter?

No, I mean, we get something like a golden shoulder ornament for ranking up

Most people quit between Mastery Rank 1-3

Mastery rank 1 - 3 should be used as tutorial. Where players get xp, and learn about the game. Because lets face it Warframe tutorial is one of the worst out there.

Currently at the start, Players are forced to pick a Warframe (a lot of new players will say things like they wished they picked the other one) so

Mastery rank 1= players try out the 3 options they have learn there play style, No modding or rank can be acquired, BUT they player will have access to all the talents.

(for those that are past mastery rank 1 it will be given a +1 mastery item. where it will take you to the next mastery level when used)

Mastery rank 2 = modding, When they reach this rank players will given mods and be shown the basis of modding. 

(players that are currently or above rank 2 will get random mods from the entire warframe mods pool)

(for those that are past mastery rank 2 will be given a +1 mastery item. where it will take you to the next mastery level when used)

Mastery rank 3 = players will be given (x plat) to buy warframe slots and weapon slots when completed players will be able to trade and buy warframe from the market place as well as trade with other players.

(players should have 3 Warframe slots and X weapon slots when they finish this task. Players that are currently at rank 3 or above will get a warframe slot added to there account. 

(for those that are past mastery rank 3 will be given a +1 mastery iteam. where it will take you to the next mastery level when used)

Mastery rank 4 = players will unlock a terminal in there spaceship where they can try out other warframes. (with all there ability) but they wont get any xp from it. Its also a place to try out weapons (no mods)

*note players will rank up to rank 4 in a matter of hours. preferably 1-2h of game time (please change if its too fast)

The concept is to bring in new stable player base. Where they will keep playing because they understand the game. 

i know i am supporting new players vs veterans, but lets face it the currently system is horrible. people quit even before they learn to enjoy this game. 

I know more needs to be added to this but its a start.

More powerful weapon at higher mastery so i will have a reason to rank up.  They shouldn't get best weapons at low mastery like nikana prime or broken war. They need to deserve it to get , they should feel the pain of the farming the great. 

Gifted some weapon slot or warframe slot each time we reach a new mastery instead of everytime I passed a mastery test and expect something new or a reward for leveling stuff and it is only 1000 syndicate rep. 

Seriously all I got from mastery rank is vanity for being higher level or more "skill" than other people and emptiness for realizing it actually does nothing with mastery level.

13 hours ago, Noamuth said:

It's meant as prestige, showing that you have proficiency over higher-leveled enemies. Once that is implemented, maybe DE can sort out sorties to a higher MR requirement, and also trials perhaps.
With this, MR isn't just how many gear you have leveled, but how good you're using it. Would make a good skill indicator for one.

Edited by KuroShiranui

22 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Mastery Rank is perfect as it is, it is a number that represents how much stuff we have mastered. 

lol, please stop... you're cracking me up :))))

i assume you're being ironic.  MR is a rather trivial method of game Dev encouraging players to buy/craft as much stuff as possible, (most of it pretty usless).    The idea that a player masters stuff because they buy/craft it and then level it up once is pretty silly.

you were being ironic, yes?

Just now, -Spyro said:

we need something better than sigils or slots ^^

"we" you mean by late game players. 

but I think "we" is too broad.

Mastery level should reflect the type of players playing it.

1-4 New players So everything should be aimed towards what they want.

5-10 players who have played the game for some time. these players I think would like a free weapon slot or frame slot per rank

11-15 i think a instant payout at 15 one time use of getting any 1 prime bundle 

16 - 21 visual upgrade depending on the year you hit that level.

(i really don't know what players 11-21 want :( i am not that high.

3 hours ago, Rapiddragon said:

More powerful weapon at higher mastery so i will have a reason to rank up.  They shouldn't get best weapons at low mastery like nikana prime or broken war. They need to deserve it to get , they should feel the pain of the farming the great. 

No! any method of limiting content to players is bad.  if you want to level MR up, that's your choice, but other players may just want to play casually but have access to good content. 

21 hours ago, Noamuth said:

But, ultimately, we need the game to have more mission diversity, more lore, repeatable quests and better scaling before we start MR locking things.  With the way Warframe is set up now, forcing people to gain MR will just push them into Draco or they'll leave - not to mention the toxicity it may bring into the community. 

Oh, and how Forma works needs to be changed.  Forcing us to re-rank items at most 7 times is unreasonable at this point; we simply have too many weapons/Warframes/Companions to make this system feasible.  When we had half of the rankable content, I can see this system being bearable but now...

Either lower the point cost on mods, increase the versitility of Forma or let us premake our builds and then as we use it, it unlocks the pre-installed mods, much like Dark Sector Conflict system.

this is a good and thoughtful analysis ^ thx

imho, MR is a rather transparent method by game Dev to encourage players to buy/craft as much junk as possible and level it up once (which is understandable as they are trying to make money).  

MR as a metric/measure of game mastery is laughable. 

In order for MR to represent game mastery, the MR tests and qualifying criteria would have to be changed dramatically. 

MR locks that exclude players from game content?  NO!! restricting game content because a player is unwilling to buy/craft junk and level it once is just wrong. 

5 minutes ago, DeadlyPeanutt said:

No! any method of limiting content to players is bad.  if you want to level MR up, that's your choice, but other players may just want to play casually but have access to good content. 

You have to level up in pretty much every game in order to obtain higher leveled weapons, stop talking nonsense. 

The only thing I'm actually against Mr locking is content like sorties, even though I'm starting to waver on that position as well. 

4 minutes ago, DakotaStorm said:

You have to level up in pretty much every game in order to obtain higher leveled weapons, stop talking nonsense. 

? this is not true. 

a player with two or three frames that gets to MR 5 or 6 can open most of the functional weapons in game.  That same player would have access to the void and mid level games and could stay at MR6 forever, if they don't want to level up useless junk.   MR has nothing to do with the mastery of frames and weapons. a player who truly masters three frames can be excluded artificially from gaining MR rank. 

to paraphrase bruce lee, 'fear not the man who practices a thousand kicks, fear the man who practices one kick a thousand times.'

Edited by DeadlyPeanutt

14 minutes ago, DeadlyPeanutt said:

? this is not true. 

a player with two or three frames that gets to MR 5 or 6 can open most of the functional weapons in game.  That same player would have access to the void and mid level games and could stay at MR6 forever, if they don't want to level up useless junk.   MR has nothing to do with the mastery of frames and weapons. a player who truly masters three frames can be excluded artificially from gaining MR rank. 

to paraphrase bruce lee, 'fear not the man who practices a thousand kicks, fear the man who practices one kick a thousand times.'

We already have weapons that are Mr locked at 12 presumably because are among the best weapons in the game. Sancti Tigris anyone?

Why not add something even more powerful at higher Mr levels?

Fair enough the way mastery and power leveling works now it would be a moot point, but if they ever rework mastery, then yes, that should tie higher leveled weapons in with it. 

5 hours ago, DeadlyPeanutt said:

lol, please stop... you're cracking me up :))))

i assume you're being ironic.  MR is a rather trivial method of game Dev encouraging players to buy/craft as much stuff as possible, (most of it pretty usless).    The idea that a player masters stuff because they buy/craft it and then level it up once is pretty silly.

you were being ironic, yes?

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't think you caught my drift. I DON'T think MR should be the main rank in the game, but rather a completely separate one. MR does have a place in a game about getting as much equipment as possible. However, MR should be there ONLY to ensure that players try out new stuff, not to lock core content. 

We need a NEW rank that has nothing to do with MR, something that takes its affinity from achievements, quest completion, etcetera. This would be the rack that you care about, it would (hopefully) be made so that it somewhat represented how experienced someone is in Warframe. 

Edited by DrBorris