Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Searching for best "usefull" companion

ViSo36

Question

I want an usefull companion, I think that damage dealers dont do enought damage at endgame to be considered, and Im searching for an usefull one.

- First we have Sentinels, Death cube machine, Djinn and Diriga are all damage focused, I think they are not usefull. Helios is damage focused too, but he have the "Detect vulnerability", I do not tried Helios, is that usefull?. Shade makes you invisible, but acording to other players the Kubrow Huras do better job at this task. And Carrier, is my actual companion, we all know why.

- And then we have Kubrows, (I love them), but I need an usefull companion, and I dont know if kubrows are worth it, they are? Chesa and Raksa seems to not be worth it, both jobs can be done by Carrier at the same time. And Sunika is a damage dealer. What about Huras/Sahasa?

As I said my main is Carrier, but I want to try something different, focusing on being usefull and not a killer.

Thank you in advice.

21 answers to this question

I personally use the diriga (I think that's how it's spelled) for my sentinel and a raska or sahasa for my kubrow. The diriga has some really good cc for close range if that's something you'd like to try since it can pretty much stun lock multiple enemies with electric damage long enough for you to kill them or run away. It's saved me a bunch of times by stun locking enemies behind me that I can't necessarily see or those heavy hitting units that get too close. I just give it whatever sentinel weapon I feel like as I've actually never used it for anything damage related since I think it fits a better mini cc role.

I use raskas a lot mostly for the instant shield regen but largely for the terrify roar they do. Helps out when there's too many enemies ganging up and whatnot. Sahasa is pretty nice as mine tends to dig up a good chunk of ammo and 75-100 energy at a time. I normally pick kubrows over sentinels since they can be revived infinitely while the latter explodes. Not saying sentinels are bad but I personally enjoy the prolonged life of dogs. Huras is also a good choice as it can turn you invisible almost indefinitely while shade needs you to be around enemies for full invis effect. I usually stand idle for a few seconds before my huras activates stealth and keeps it that way for a long time. If you have the credits and resources to support kubrows, they're definitely a viable choice.

I'm pretty biased as I threw out my carrier a long time ago but the best way to find what you like is to try them out. I didn't think diriga was any good till I slapped on all its cc mods. I hoped this helped a bit.

Carrier's probably going to be your best bet in terms of pure utility, try a Carrier Prime if you want something mildly different.

Sunika Kubrow can wrestle with certain more powerful or important enemies such as capture targets or bosses, giving you a few seconds to blow them away without fear of being murdered.

Wyrm/Wyrm Prime both have good CC abilities that work on groups of enemies, they're also fairly decent at doing a bit of damage too.

The Shade sentinel can give you temporary invisibility when you're near enemies, it's broken when you attack or perform any actions but can be useful for catching a breath so long as you don't engage anyone for a moment or two.

if you love kubrows, go for sahasa, digging up stuff can be great. I sometimes join a squad with someone who has a sahasa, and right after we start, the dog starts to dig up energy orbs, that give 50/75 (I think?) energy, which is very useful at the start of a mission, I always wanted one but my luck with eggs and kubrows isn't that good >.> 

I love my Raksa kubrow all companions are mod dependent but have never thought screw this companion like I have about other ones. But different kubrow serve different purposes. Modded correctly. It can be more powerfuln then yourself. I also love the helios eith deconstructor I am really hoping for a prime version of it but until then. All companions are gonna be forma heavy. 

Never tried helios with this simaris mod, could be useful but I don't know.

However, huras are very powerful regarding damage and utility. They can spam invisibility and their charge, which knockdown many enemies (if they survive)

Otherwise I would recommend raksa which spam shield reload and howl which is like nekros' second ability (terify)

To me these 2 kubrows are the best companions, and if you're tanky, they're unkillable (unlike sentinels)

Right now i'm hesitating building a diriga, for the CC it provides and its great damage.

1 hour ago, Souldend78 said:

Djinn is very underrated, but that mesmerize + corrosive proc comes in handy from time to time.

Totally agree.

As for Detect Vulnerability, it's marks a single enemy chosen by Helios. It's an nice extra damage just don't expected it to always marks the enemy you want.

I almost exclusively use Helios, but I also have a full codex and have the simaris scanner with recharging scans + detect vulnerability. This means I get bonus damage on all targets, similar to a banshee using sonar. The fact that is sentinel weapon is silent is also a nice plus.

This forum is interesting, when you read it, you have the impression of diversity and choice.

While in game, alas, everybody and their mother uses carriers and carriers only. They are like 90% prevalent form of companion. Rest are kubrows because ppl love dogs. 

And yes, other companions can be cool and beneficial in some form, sheer usefulness of vacuum is just far to good to be traded, and in some builds it makes whole approach possible. Try to play desecrate nekros without carrier. 

Imo exilus mod of 40% of carrier efficiency for frame would improve companion diversity in hits game dramatically. 

Personally i don't like sentinels, i preffer a kubrow Huras or Chesa, i have 7 formas in both and i don't regret anything (maybe a little of the chesa), and the Huras Kubrow do a better job making you invisible, oh and i almost forgot the most important thing kubrows deals 2200 of slash damage

I mostly use Raksa because they probably have the best CC out of companions. Raksa Howl is similar to terrify, although it also slows them down a bit, so they are quite easy to shoot while running away. And Raksas also restore your shields and there are good and bad sides if you compare it to Sentinel shield restore. The good side is unlike sentinel's restore you don't need to have 0 shield for them to even consider restoring your shield. Raksa will restore it even if you miss like 100-200. The downside however is that it's not as massive restore, so you don't get instant max shield from Raksas. And I think Raksa also need to be close to you to restore shield.

Djinn is pretty decent as well, but his CC is not as stable as Raksa's.

Don't dismiss Raksa.

Protect is different to a sentinel's shield restore, it does not have to wait until you are at 0 shields, it works all the time.

Howl scares enemies away, they move slower and the crowd control is more important than the damage later on.

I exclusively use my Sahasa. Placed a 6th forma to it a couple of weeks back. The utility of not needing ammo restores and an instant energy fill up at the start of a mission is great. And dem creds! Mo'money mo problems!

As for sentinels I switch between the Prisma Shade, Dijin and the Diriga.

Seems that I underrated Raksa, I had it 1 year ago, just leveled up and left it. I personally like "Guardian" on Sentinels, I think its a "must have", many times it save´s me. Raksa have it but dont have Vacum (for that reason I chosen Carrier over Raksa), I should re consider my decision ... However I would make a new Raksa, since my Raksa its a pretty common, I want a Lotus one :) (Like my Huras)

Like Thorien said, like 90% of ingame people uses Carrier (however Im now seeing more Kubrows than 1 year ago), but here many people dont use Carrier, its just an interesting thing. And I agree 100%, a 40% vacum effectivity on players without Carrier should help on diversity for companions.

The only bad side for me is that I already have all Sentinels mods maxed, and I have to max all Kubrow mods now xD

Edited by ViSo36

Sunika and Sahasa Kubrows will actually do both of these things. Damage, and utility.

Though the Sahasa is far better in those fields IMO. Using Bite and Maul, my doge is more than  happy to completely one-shot level 70 heavies with Finisher dmg and ridiculous crits. It also has the added benefit if constantly digging up wealths of energy, health, and ammo.

Besides Carrier, my most used sentinel is Helios.  I have completely the bulk of the scans so Detect Vulnerability mod comes in very handy, and it also scans enemies whose codex entry isn't completed which is also nice.

As for Kubrow, I usually combine Limbo with Huras when I do spy missions.  I rarely use other Kubrows but I take them out occasionally because they're cute.