Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crit melee w good range?

(PSN)CoolD2108

Question

Hey guys, as the title says, i'm looking for decent crit centered melee weapons with a good base/stance range.

I wanna play it on my banshee so the overall damage is less important then

*Speed

*Range

*and the ability to crit 

(The possibility to gain slash status wouldn't hurt eather. I fancy this status for corpus)

Any recommendations?

11 answers to this question

Looks like Atterax will you good for you.  It has everything that you're looking for...  It's fast, has high crit chance, and has long reach.  It also has high slash damage compared to other physical damages.  It's a great weapon to use Berserker if you want even higher attack speed.  

I'm probably gonna be the oddball here and say that the Mios should count.

Even without body count + blood rush, it can crit fairly reliably from what I've seen.

Add in the forced slash procs in the combo with pause, and the headshot in the last part of that combo.

Mios has exceptional Range, is Slash weighted (with solid amount of the other IPS Types to help Damage a bit), has solid Status, and has pretty respectable Crits considering it's exceptional Range.

Orthos Prime may turn into a Gun (an Assault Rifle) with Primed Reach, but Mios has even more Range than that, on some of it's swings. probably applies to Whipswords in general, but Mios is the preferable one IMO. the impressive Status performance of Lacera is great, but i like the exact speed gotten from the base Multiplier on Mios + Berserker.
Whipswords also have a very, very above average set of Animation strings.

Atterax fits the bill as well, though Whip Animations are... not very good/useful to put it nicely.

I feel like you're looking for a Shadow Step buddy for Banshee.  I'd strongly recommend an Orthos Prime with Maiming Strike and Primed Reach.  It may technically have a bit less range than Atterax, but the hitboxes on Atterax are, at least for me, pretty annoying, and Atterax is slow and clunky until it gets Berserker stacks going.  Contrastingly, again, at least for me, the speed on Orthos Prime is just about perfect.  A gimpy (Volcanic Edge and a R7 Primed Reach) version of this with my laughably bad pre-forma Banshee has been knocking my socks off for the past few days.  Works really nicely with maxed Naramon passives - sortie 3 a couple days ago I was routinely hitting for over a million, did 70% of the damage (survival, Infested), and took literally zero damage between guaranteed invisibility on slide melee, and Silence's stun.  Fun times.

2 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Looks like Atterax will you good for you.  It has everything that you're looking for...  It's fast

Atterax is a lot of things, but fast isn't one of them. Orthos Prime can pull off nearly twice as many hits per second from regular combos, which is pretty important if you want slash procs to play any role whatsoever in your gameplay.

But yeah, Atterax is easily one of the best melee weapons out there (if you don't mind spamming slide attacks rather than combos, since whip combos are really nothing special). Slap on a Maiming Strike + Blood Rush + Body Count and enjoy red-critting several times over with every attack.

Most melee weapons can turn into slide attack monsters using this combo (since most of the red-critting-several-times-over comes from Maiming Strike rather than the weapon's base crit rate), but what makes Atterax special here is its base Critical Multiplier (3x) and its absolutely gigantic range (larger than Orthos Prime's). Dealing 100k damage to every enemy in a small room with a single slide attack is just plain glorious.

EDIT:

I just did some testing, and it's worth noting that the Orthos Prime can still compete with Atterax using slide attack builds since it has a much larger base Slide Attack damage (144 vs 96) that makes up for the its weakness in Critical Multipliers (2.0x vs 3.0x). The OrthosP will still do noticeably less damage due to the way multiple-red-crits stack (weapons with higher Crit Multipliers, like Atterax, are favoured), but it's still going to hit very, very hard.

Use the OrthosP over the Atterax if you want better combos, air melee, slam radius, and hitbox reliability; at the cost of slide attack range (both horizontal and vertical) and a bit of damage.

Edited by SortaRandom

8 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Atterax is a lot of things, but fast isn't one of them. Orthos Prime can pull off nearly twice as many hits per second from regular combos, which is pretty important if you want slash procs to play any role whatsoever in your gameplay.

Yes, base attack speed is slow, but that's why you would put a Beserker on it to compensate.  If you combine Beserker with Maiming Strike, it should proc even more regularly.  I agree with you that you don't bother with whip's combo because they're not great.  Sliding attack + Maiming Strike + maxed Prime Reach + Beserker +  Blood Rush + Body Count (add the usual damage/crit mods too if he wants) is where it's at.  Yes, it is glorious seeing red crits and huge damage on tons of enemies at once, and this is why I love my Atterax. :D

19 minutes ago, xiaodenden said:

Yes, base attack speed is slow, but that's why you would put a Beserker on it to compensate.

Oh, I know. I meant that even with Berserker it's still rather slow. XD

But yeah, Atterax is glorious. Scoring ~500k red crits on trash mobs while invisible is always a fun time.