Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Tennogen require Steam Warframe?

magusat999

I play on the PC client, but I do have Steam installed. I'd like to use Tennogen, but I need to know if I can use it without installing the Steam version of Warframe. I was told you can "link your account" - does that mean "link my PC Client account to Tennogen" (thereby not having to create a Steam Warframe game account) OR does that mean I would have to link my PC Client to STeam, and make it a Steam Warframe account AND install Tennogen? Can I use Tennogen without a Stream Warframe account, and just use my existing PC account credentials??? I am not asking if I have to use Steam - I have Steam - I'm asking if i have to use a Steam Warframe account or can I just "link" my PC account to Tennogen (not Steam)???

I don't believe you need to have Steam Warframe installed if you're going make something with the Tennogen toolset (actually I think you have to have it installed to install the toolset)... but if you mean buying Tennogen items you need to have Steam Warframe installed and open, as they can only be purchased with Steam Wallet money at the moment.

Edited by AXCrusnik

Warframe accounts are Warframe accounts, the Steam version of Warframe is just the same old launcher, just distributed through Steam. The non-Steam version is the very same Launcher, just distributed by Digital Extremes themselves through their Website.

I'm pretty sure that Link your Account prompt you receive sometimes is trying to sync your Warframe login data with Steam, so you can access things you buy for Warframe through Steam (DLC packs and Platinum using the Steam Wallet as payment method). As for buying things goes... I'm fairly certain you can only purchase TennoGen items through your Steam Wallet, so any other methods are going to be unavailable at the moment.

So... Steam-bound Warframe is needed (and some Wallet money of course) to purchase items from the TennoGen community.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

2 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Warframe accounts are Warframe accounts, the Steam version of Warframe is just the same old launcher, just distributed through Steam. The non-Steam version is the very same Launcher, just distributed by Digital Extremes themselves through their Website.

I'm pretty sure that Link your Account prompt you receive sometimes is trying to sync your Warframe Data with Steam, so you can access the Steam Items in-game. As for buying things goes... I'm fairly certain you can only purchase TennoGen items through your Steam Wallet, so any other methods are going to be unavailable at the moment.

So... Steam-bound Warframe is needed (and some Wallet money of course) to purchase items from the TennoGen community.

5 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

I don't believe you need to have Steam Warframe installed if you're going make something with the Tennogen toolset... but if you mean buying Tennogen items you need to have Steam Warframe installed and open, as they can only be purchased with Steam Wallet money at the moment.

Okay, just to clarify, I'm looking to create content - with credit to my PC Client account if possible. Not interested in buying items.

Just now, magusat999 said:

Okay, just to clarify, I'm looking to create content - with credit to my PC Client account if possible. Not interested in buying items.

You won't be able to receive credit for any items you create if your Account isn't bound to Steam.

All payments you will receive for purchases of a TennoGen item you create, will be credited to your Steam Wallet.

Platinum can not be used to offer compensation, since these items are paid for with actual dollars atm.

You still nbeed a steam account to be operating through steam for making tennogen, you get credited cash via steam for your creations. not platiunum.

Just now, Gelkor said:

You still nbeed a steam account to be operating through steam for making tennogen, you get credited cash via steam for your creations. not platiunum.

I'm pretty sure the cash is steam-wallet only, too. So you can effectively only use the profit on Steam. Not 100% sure about that.

1 minute ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Thanks for reiterating my previous statement! ^-^

We basically posted at the same time, your post wasn't up when I hit quote and submit, happens all the time on forums.

Edited by Gelkor

Come on guys - I appreciate the help, but you keep answering about having Steam. I said I already have Steam! Im not asking if I need Steam, I'm asking if I need to have the Steam version of Warframe Is Tennogen tied to the STEAM version of Warframe - of course I need to use Steam, that isn't the question...

Come on guys - I appreciate the help, but you keep answering about having Steam. I said I already have Steam! Im not asking if I need Steam, I'm asking if I need to have the Steam version of Warframe Is Tennogen tied to the STEAM version of Warframe - of course I need to use Steam, that isn't the question...

You don't use Warframe at all for content creation, you use the tool provided by DE and upload as directed. So no, you  don't need it. And the money just comes in as money, not platinum, so no, you don't need Steam Warframe launcher.

4 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

You won't be able to receive credit for any items you create if your Account isn't bound to Steam.

All payments you will receive for purchases of a TennoGen item you create, will be credited to your Steam Wallet.

Platinum can not be used to offer compensation, since these items are paid for with actual dollars atm.

All that is fine, and thanks. But the question remains - do I need to install and use the Steam Version of Warframe or not? Someone said I can link my PC client account. Does that mean I do not have to install the Steam Version of Warframe?

1 minute ago, Gelkor said:

You don't use Warframe at all for content creation, you use the tool provided by DE and upload as directed. So no, you  don't need it. And the money just comes in as money, not platinum, so no, you don't need Steam Warframe launcher.

Thank you...that was what I was looking for.