Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Feedback - So Bad It Made Me Quit The Game The First Time!

Tatersail

I always assumed starting frames where GASH on purpose in order to suck cash out of you, but After playing Loki and just recently Excalibur.... Which are both hideously strong in there own ways,  I can't understand why they would have mag as a starting frame, I found out the abilitys where pointless, gunned it through Mercury and quit. "Warframe sucks!"

I don't understand how this frame is supposed to... inspire you to play more?

I was talked into trying again 2 weeks later, spent 29.99 on the steam starter deal and got Ember and Nxy, and had frost BPs drop

I recently leveled Mag, Loki and Excalibur with lots of cards and guns...  and I was shocked at how strong Excalibur and Loki are.

I just don't understand why Mag is  ... So bad...

just like to compare the starting frame ability's...

25 energy

Pull for Mag.... pulls a mob towards you with terrible short range mostly pointless, can be used on 1 mob in the game to remove its shield, or you could spend that time using your Mk 1 braton to kill the mob???  (sure you can pull downed friends into walls into unrevivable places to kill them but this gets old)  perhaps make this only cost 10? and.. stun for 5 seconds?

Slash Dash for Excalibur Wrecks... EVERYTHING in a massive line.. 500-1500  this comes pretty close to some of the other frames Ultimate's...  (Can be used while jumping, sliding, forward flipping, wall running or clinging to a wall.icing on the cake)   just like to point out the mob that Mag used pull on to remove it shield... DIED with his shield

Decoy for Loki - makes all mobs attack his decoy - pretty decent surv tool, nice on boss's good for crits!

50 energy

Shield Polarize for mag, again seems Pointless, at the start of the game the Braton actually deals more shield damage than the casting time, even later on in the game the same time it takes to use 5 Kunai .... use on an ally???

this needs to be AOE or Conal or.. meh.. anything

Radial Blind aoe stun - not or hmm 2x slash dash

Invisibility - Loki's core ability, makes him go Invis, which kinda means immune since nothing shoot him, and he can Mash 3-7k charged attacks crits and rape pretty much everything

75 energy

Bullet Attractor mag puts a bubble on a single mob for only 15 seconds (with really low casting range) and... inaccurate team members do a little more damage if they can hit the bubble??? I mean even and extra shotgun round hitting..... this is 75 energy... for....  I tryed using it on quite a few boss's and it just empty's my energy, using your Ulti is better!   why why .....   and at the start of the game 75 energy is....  all of it!   this would work if it was somthing like, Any shot fired from any mob anywhere hits... and/or..  lasted for 30 seconds

Super Jump for Excalibur only cost 10 energy, /shrug ... he has slash dash crazy town he should have at least so-so 1 utility

Switch Teleport another good utility for loki, combined with decoy and invis and only 25 energy

Ultimate ability!!

Crush only reason to play mag it seems, 1000 damage affected by enemy armor, 12 range at max, only works on mobs inside its aoe, stuns your toon for a few seconds.

Seems a bit weak compared to most other frames AOE ultimate;

-Frost does 1000 + double to shields and lets more mobs in

-Saryn kills everything while your still casting with more damage and armor ignore only 2 less range.

-Banshee has 18 range lets mobs in and does a little more

-Vortex kills

-World on fire... 400 every 0.75 for 12seconds (6400dmg) with 18 range and you can move!

-ash has 20m range same 1000 dmg

-Rhino does 1000 at 10 for only 75 energy.

Radial Javelin for Excalibur deals 1000 WITH armor ignore and has a 25 meter range!! only hits 15 targets but... 15 is alot

Radial Disarm for loki - i guess its a touch weak considering its not doing any damage, but when you consider that loki moves 60% faster than other frames and can run away from melee

on a side note slash dash does seem a touch too strong for 25 energy?

25 energy

Ember - 75 damage to 1

Frost - 75 damage to 1

Volt - ??  70ish damage? to 1-10%more

Banshee - aoe knockdown and 40 damage

mag - pulls for like 2 damage....

Nxy - 50 energy for bolts 125 dmg

saryn - a dot

rhino - knockdown ok damage!

Vauban - 135/3 * 40!!

ash - 500 to 1!!!

Excalibur - 500 damage AOE to "UNLIMITED" mobs.. in a huge line 1500 on infested

TLDR - I like mag shutup n00b!

Pull - can save an ally if he's surrounded by toxics and you can't go in to revive

Shield Polarize- can be used on allies and to restore shields on reactors and pods in defense missions

Bullet Attractor - it also attracts the bullets of the mob/boss , so eh can't shoot you. Also try combining this with Excalibur's ulti on bosses

Crush - great against trash mobs, can be used as CC on high lvl mobs

TLDR - Mag doesn't suck

i think the reason she's a starter is because she's ok, but not great. crush is powerful enough with good mods. pull is for melee, and her other two are support... mostly useful when fighting bosses. so it kind of prepares you for other things i guess...

I always assumed starting frames where GASH on purpose in order to suck cash out of you, but After playing Loki and just recently Excalibur.... Which are both hideously strong in there own ways,  I can't understand why they would have mag as a starting frame, I found out the abilitys where pointless, gunned it through Mercury and quit. "Warframe sucks!"

I don't understand how this frame is supposed to... inspire you to play more?

I was talked into trying again 2 weeks later, spent 29.99 on the steam starter deal and got Ember and Nxy, and had frost BPs drop

I recently leveled Mag, Loki and Excalibur with lots of cards and guns...  and I was shocked at how strong Excalibur and Loki are.

I just don't understand why Mag is  ... So bad...

just like to compare the starting frame ability's...

25 energy

Pull for Mag.... pulls a mob towards you with terrible short range mostly pointless, can be used on 1 mob in the game to remove its shield, or you could spend that time using your Mk 1 braton to kill the mob???  (sure you can pull downed friends into walls into unrevivable places to kill them but this gets old)  perhaps make this only cost 10? and.. stun for 5 seconds?

Slash Dash for Excalibur Wrecks... EVERYTHING in a massive line.. 500-1500  this comes pretty close to some of the other frames Ultimate's...  (Can be used while jumping, sliding, forward flipping, wall running or clinging to a wall.icing on the cake)   just like to point out the mob that Mag used pull on to remove it shield... DIED with his shield

Decoy for Loki - makes all mobs attack his decoy - pretty decent surv tool, nice on boss's good for crits!

50 energy

Shield Polarize for mag, again seems Pointless, at the start of the game the Braton actually deals more shield damage than the casting time, even later on in the game the same time it takes to use 5 Kunai .... use on an ally???

this needs to be AOE or Conal or.. meh.. anything

Radial Blind aoe stun - not or hmm 2x slash dash

Invisibility - Loki's core ability, makes him go Invis, which kinda means immune since nothing shoot him, and he can Mash 3-7k charged attacks crits and rape pretty much everything

75 energy

Bullet Attractor mag puts a bubble on a single mob for only 15 seconds (with really low casting range) and... inaccurate team members do a little more damage if they can hit the bubble??? I mean even and extra shotgun round hitting..... this is 75 energy... for....  I tryed using it on quite a few boss's and it just empty's my energy, using your Ulti is better!   why why .....   and at the start of the game 75 energy is....  all of it!   this would work if it was somthing like, Any shot fired from any mob anywhere hits... and/or..  lasted for 30 seconds

Super Jump for Excalibur only cost 10 energy, /shrug ... he has slash dash crazy town he should have at least so-so 1 utility

Switch Teleport another good utility for loki, combined with decoy and invis and only 25 energy

Ultimate ability!!

Crush only reason to play mag it seems, 1000 damage affected by enemy armor, 12 range at max, only works on mobs inside its aoe, stuns your toon for a few seconds.

Seems a bit weak compared to most other frames AOE ultimate;

-Frost does 1000 + double to shields and lets more mobs in

-Saryn kills everything while your still casting with more damage and armor ignore only 2 less range.

-Banshee has 18 range lets mobs in and does a little more

-Vortex kills

-World on fire... 400 every 0.75 for 12seconds (6400dmg) with 18 range and you can move!

-ash has 20m range same 1000 dmg

-Rhino does 1000 at 10 for only 75 energy.

Radial Javelin for Excalibur deals 1000 WITH armor ignore and has a 25 meter range!! only hits 15 targets but... 15 is alot

Radial Disarm for loki - i guess its a touch weak considering its not doing any damage, but when you consider that loki moves 60% faster than other frames and can run away from melee

on a side note slash dash does seem a touch too strong for 25 energy?

25 energy

Ember - 75 damage to 1

Frost - 75 damage to 1

Volt - ??  70ish damage? to 1-10%more

Banshee - aoe knockdown and 40 damage

mag - pulls for like 2 damage....

Nxy - 50 energy for bolts 125 dmg

saryn - a dot

rhino - knockdown ok damage!

Vauban - 135/3 * 40!!

ash - 500 to 1!!!

Excalibur - 500 damage AOE to "UNLIMITED" mobs.. in a huge line 1500 on infested

TLDR - I like mag shutup n00b!

You understand that Mag has NO MAX limit to how many enemies she can crush right? If there is 50 guys she can crush 50 guys. Yea that 15 guys sounds really awesome, but I will stick with crushing ALL enemies in my range :)

mag is the support of the starter frames, so dont expect too much damage from her skill(besides crush). now bullet attractor is great if you have people using gorgons and shotguns like hek or boar on bosses because that boss will melt.

btw vortex kills and has great CC: any mob that is within its pull range ragdolls into the vortex and becomes and easy target. vortex + glave= rapeage

She is definitely the weakest frame on the roster and I really regret picking her as my starter once I tried Loki. They should move pull to her third skill and make it cost 10 energy and give her a first skill that puts her on par with Slash Dash and Decoy in terms of general usefulness.

I took Mag as a starter frame, and... barely use her abilities. I have crush installed and that's it. Pull is useless. In all the time I played, it may have come useful maybe three times. And that's because I have a friend who's levelling an ember and die like five times per mission. Shield polarize simply do not do enough damage/heal. People's shield regenerate too fast for it to be useful. I could consider taking it if I could use it on myself... Bullet attractor slightly increase DPS on bosses, otherwise its only use is bolstering Excalibur ulti. I don't think it is a bad thing to have this kind of interaction, but in itself it is very limited. If it worked with more ultimates, or had a bigger bubble, it would be better. Crush is simply the ever-so-common "Nuke-a-room-button", but sub-par.

Yeah, it needs a boost.

Remember that Excalibur is good unmodded, it's true. Slash dash is the must-mod in early missions, Radial javelin is usefull against heavy units and Ancients BUT, Excalibur Skills can be used just with Focus (for damage), Continuity for Slash dash and Streach for Radial blind. FULL STOP. No way to make better your skills, NO WAY.

Radial javelin does 1300 damage to 15 enemies withing 25 meters from the Frame. Slash dash reach 700 and 2000 circa with longer area of effect, but no more. It's awesome against lower and mid enemies, but in the last part of the game they're quite useless.

Mag, instead, has 3 of her 4 skills affected by Streach. Pull, Bullet attractor and Crush, with longer ranges (that means to stay alive when you can hit target from 60 circa meters....). No matter how many shields or health you have: camper and use your skills and weapons.

Bullet attractor is affected by Continuity. The shield will be active for 20 seconds circa.

Crush is affected (as all Skills) by Focus. That means 1300 damage to unlimited enemies into the area of effect...

Mag is a good Warframe. ALL ones are good, people just need to learn how to use them. If the caster one isn't your role in game, just don't chose Mag (that is a CASTER, a support Frame). If you want to deal damage instead of support others, chose an Excalibur...

Mag was my starter and I had a real blast with her... until Crush started failing to kill trash mobs on higher levels. Then I built a Saryn and saw how Miasma absolutely destroys everything and doesn't have that much lower of a range... so yeah.

I actually think Mag is a good starting frame because a lot of her abilities are centered around making up for other players' mistakes. Pull has saved many a player from having to spend a revive, Shield Polarize can save the pod in Defense, or the Hostage in Rescue missions...

The problem is, you shouldn't really need either of those when you're with a good (or even alright) team. And tactical single target abilities become sort of obsolete once you have powerful weapons and start running Defense (which seems to be the source of like 90% of everything these days).

Now Bullet Attractor is something that I'd actually like to try out more now that I have a maxed out Stretch mod. Because from what I understand, it essentially functions as a mobile Snow Globe that is centered around a single enemy. It could actually make me go back to Mag... if Crush wasn't so lackluster in high levels.

I think Crush should deal low damage initially but get stronger as the enemy armor increases - because as many people have pointed out, a heavy suit of metal armor is the last thing you'd like to be wearing when you fall into a massive electromagnet. This would ensure that the ability would stay useful later on while preventing it from becoming too overpowered in the early levels.

I also think Mag should have more energy, perhaps at the cost of some shields, so that her support abilities become more spammable.

Mag

Tweaks.

Pull

25 energy

Turns into a force choke that yanks the targets towards you.

Doing some damage and a long stun. Allies aren't hurt.

200/300/400/500 damage

Stun = 5 seconds throughout 

Range = Fixed 50 metres.

Shield Polarize

50 Energy

A buff that constantly regenerates ally shields for 30 seconds.

When hit on an enemy, it debuffs their shields and cause the shield to explode, making his shields unable to recharge

Shield Regeneration buff : 50/75/100/150 per second

Buff duration: 30 seconds at all levels.

Shield overload debuff: 100% at all levels.

Debuff duration: 10/15/25/30

Explosion damage is dealt equal to shield hit points.

Cast range : 50m

Bullet Attractor

75 Energy

Cast range: 50

Causes all bullets to head for enemies critical spots.

Enemies attacks deflect back to themselves.

Duration: 5/8/10/15

Crush

100 Energy.

Range: 7/10/12/15

Damage: 1000

Armor Ignore.

Enemy that survives Crush will have their movement and attack speed slowed by 75% due to broken bones.

That is all.

To sum things up: Mag is a lackluster frame with a limited utility set, and a single all purpose room clearer, which also is her ONLY saving grace. You can argue all you want about the rest of her abilities being situationally useful... but really?

Some other frames considered supports have more utility cramped into a single skill than her 1-3 together. Not to mention that those skills are actually useful, and you dont have to go look for excuses to use them, and only find one every 30 missions or so.

Mag

Tweaks.

Pull

25 energy

Turns into a force choke that yanks the targets towards you.

Doing some damage and a long stun. Allies aren't hurt.

200/300/400/500 damage

Stun = 5 seconds throughout 

Range = Fixed 50 metres.

Shield Polarize

50 Energy

A buff that constantly regenerates ally shields for 30 seconds.

When hit on an enemy, it debuffs their shields and cause the shield to explode, making his shields unable to recharge

Shield Regeneration buff : 50/75/100/150 per second

Buff duration: 30 seconds at all levels.

Shield overload debuff: 100% at all levels.

Debuff duration: 10/15/25/30

Explosion damage is dealt equal to shield hit points.

Cast range : 50m

Bullet Attractor

75 Energy

Cast range: 50

Causes all bullets to head for enemies critical spots.

Enemies attacks deflect back to themselves.

Duration: 5/8/10/15

Crush

100 Energy.

Range: 7/10/12/15

Damage: 1000

Armor Ignore.

Enemy that survives Crush will have their movement and attack speed slowed by 75% due to broken bones.

That is all.

YES! YES YES YES and YES again! Also agree that Crush should do most damage to heavy armor types - we have Ember who does her best against lightly armored targets, the inverse could be true for Mag's Pull and Crush to promote more variation between Frames. If Pull were to add a decent amount of "crushing" (new damage type that does bonus dmg to heavier armor?) damage to a single enemy that is pulled it might make it a more popular (and RELEVANT) choice to slot in as a mod. Have her pull the enemy in, as usual. Enemy falls on face at Mag's feet, who has her open fingered hand still extended and aimed at the enemy. She then quickly clenches her hand into a fist, and the enemy's limbs and torso are twisted and bent at odd angles, applying the same "broken bones" effect that fatpig84 mentioned. Still works as a utility skill for players targeted.

Edited by psyanide

Mag is essentially the starter support class with Loki as the starter stealth and Excalibur as the general/basic tank. Mag is best played with plenty of others players who communicate. Try to play with a more support angle in mind, or you shouldn't have gone the magic-y class.

How funny...MAG one of the worst Warframes in this game and she is getting a Prime version before the other females...

Wasn't that stated as a helmet and not the prime variant?

Either way, a re-work is needed. I quite like pull because I can tug enemies up to silly spots on defense missions, it can knock-down. The worst abilities are her 2 and 3, they're pretty much useless. Polarize doesn't do enough to be worth the cost, and bullet attractor has no damage bonus. When we have something like Sonar, it's even more useless. But that's because she hasn't been re-worked after these frames came out.

I find crush fine as it is for everything but very high levels. Armor ignoring would be nice for scalability since I think as it is, a lot of Warframes do not scale well when we're thinking bigger, badder than the enemies currently are (or just higher waves of defense).

I thought bullet attractor could be re-worked as a target-able defensive shield, bullet repeller, with a chance to ignore shots. Could use it on the Cryopod too.  It's sort of like a probability based chance to ignore damage as opposed to a % damage reduction. Would work nicely on top of Rhino's current Iron Skin or an Overheat Ember etc. The idea of re-working it to aim at weak spots is good too, but I'm not sure how that would work for enemies like Jackal / Lech Kril with changing spots. You could be smart and not use it when those spots have to be hit, but I've had many a mag place a bullet attractor over my sonar as it is.

Shield Polarize should be re-worked, shield regen would be nice, everyone also seems to agree with an area effect on Polarize too. This would be great for corpus shield drones and the Cryopod. Not many heavies that have shields other than the drones/heavy Grineer though.

Something I think we should have in the game regardless is self-targeting. I don't believe we currently do? It should just be like, modifier key + ability key to self-cast or something. Maybe block + cast? I don't know if DE would go that far though. Polarizing yourself would be neat.