The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's high time we got a new lever action rifle

AdunSaveMe

Just now, ArchangelusAlpharius said:

Doesn't it also create the problem of lever actions being almost completely phased out?

No. Why would it? You'd still have them for long range marksmanship or a sort of lighter faster thing, with the option of a slower, higher caliber deathtube. Kinda like having a beretta and a desert eagle.

2 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

No. Why would it? You'd still have them for long range marksmanship or a sort of lighter faster thing, with the option of a slower, higher caliber deathtube. Kinda like having a beretta and a desert eagle.

The thing about lever actions is they tend to use more parts, necessitate more cleaning, and are less reliable than a standard bolt. Plus it's hard to chamber if prone(you can angle the gun to the side though.)

Edited by ArchangelusAlpharius

The thing about lever actions is they tend to use more parts, necessitate more cleaning, and are less reliable than a standard bolt. Plus it's hard to chamber if prone(you can angle the gun to the side though.

Do you even realize what game you're playing? We use swords.

The thing about lever actions is they tend to use more parts, necessitate more cleaning, and are less reliable than a standard bolt. Plus it's hard to chamber if prone(you can angle the gun to the side though.)

Yeah, but this is the future. Their space magic guns don't need that level of management.

Also, we can reload while bullet jumping, when our guns aren't even in our hands. Point moot.

12 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I didn't state projectiles, I said 'rounds', nor does that imply it isn't hitscan. It can easily be hitscan like any other rifle while also having punchthrough.

Last time I checked, latron is scopeless.

Well I just played with the Latron (Prime) and it does have a "zoom" in option which is basically a scope.

1 minute ago, Popstupid said:

Well I just played with the Latron (Prime) and it does have a "zoom" in option which is basically a scope.

And so does any rifle without a scope. I don't get what point you're trying to make here. It's still a mid range rifle, as is my suggested weapon, and a mid range rifle does not need a scope to do its job, as you have just confirmed by saying it has a zoom function, which is "basically a scope".

4 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Is a lato just a burston without the burst fire?

I'm not being facetious, I'm trying to understand the niche this weapon would be placed in. As it is, sniper weapons aren't in a great place, IMO. They still could use some tweaking. A single shot weapon without a sniper scope and damage combo would have to have some compensation for its lack of magazine. Would it act like a Vectis with more base damage? Or would it be more like the 2 shot Tigris with high damage and long reload?

The weapon your describing sounds like what Opticor does, just 1 shot at a time. Would it be like a lesser damage Opticor with a faster reload? Or a higher damage Opticor with longer reload?

1 minute ago, DaftMeat said:

I'm not being facetious, I'm trying to understand the niche this weapon would be placed in. As it is, sniper weapons aren't in a great place, IMO. They still could use some tweaking. A single shot weapon without a sniper scope and damage combo would have to have some compensation for its lack of magazine. Would it act like a Vectis with more base damage? Or would it be more like the 2 shot Tigris with high damage and long reload?

The weapon your describing sounds like what Opticor does, just 1 shot at a time. Would it be like a lesser damage Opticor with a faster reload? Or a higher damage Opticor with longer reload?

Imagine a vectis with higher damage used at closer ranges. Like an opticor, but less powerful, and not pinpoint accurate. 

Or a stronger/slower latron. Like sybaris vs tiberon maybe? It's hard to explain. The explosive rounds add to its use in crowds as a midrange weapon.

18 minutes ago, DaftMeat said:

So an Opticor without the charge mechanism?

i'd say, perhaps, that it acts a bit similar, but also hits nowhere near as hard.

since it's a Lever Action, i'm 99% sure it would be lesser Damage, larger Magazine, faster Reload, higher Rate of Fire. than Opticor if you must compare.

1 minute ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Imagine a vectis with higher damage used at closer ranges. Like an opticor, but less powerful, and not pinpoint accurate.
Or a stronger/slower latron. Like sybaris vs tiberon maybe? It's hard to explain. The explosive rounds add to its use in crowds as a midrange weapon.

oh....
you want... more Damage than a Sniper Rifle? wut.

so this isn't a Heavy DMR then, this is - a Sniper Rifle.
tehsads.

Just now, taiiat said:

oh....
you want... more Damage than a Sniper Rifle? wut.

so this isn't a Heavy DMR then, this is - a Sniper Rifle.
tehsads.

No. Christ, how do I even explain this crap? It doesn't have the scope, so it doesn't have a combo, and needs to make up for that.

How about we just get a much-needed Grinlok update, increase base dmg by a ton, reduce fire rate, profit.

The fact that the Grinlok isn't better than the Marelok still boggles my mind to this day.

1 hour ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Not another sybaris, oh no. A proper single-shot lever rifle.

Yes. Nuff' said.

19 minutes ago, Pyroninja42 said:

I'm really not sure what's so hard to understand about a hard-hitting lever-action marksman rifle with armor piercing/exploding rounds.

I know, right? I think alot of these guys are overthinking this S#&$ way to much.

Winchester_Model_1873_Short_Rifle_1495.j

Here, this is the idea. Get it!?

10 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

how do I even explain this crap? It doesn't have the scope, so it doesn't have a combo, and needs to make up for that.

most of the Sniper Rifles cannot effectively put the Combo bonus to use anyways.

what i would be expecting out of this Weapon based on what you've said:
C7ydWpb.png

38 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

And so does any rifle without a scope. I don't get what point you're trying to make here. It's still a mid range rifle, as is my suggested weapon, and a mid range rifle does not need a scope to do its job, as you have just confirmed by saying it has a zoom function, which is "basically a scope".

Then say it has a zoom in option, a lot of primaries don't have scopes or zoom option. Secondly, please state in the post that the rounds don't do damage to yourself or else people will assume it does.

you guys talkign abotu scopes and stuff don't realize this is not a sniper rifle, and there are weapons that use sniper ammunition without being sniper rifles in this game, case in point bows, miter, ogris, tonkor and any launcher

22 minutes ago, Pyroninja42 said:

I'm really not sure what's so hard to understand about a hard-hitting lever-action marksman rifle with armor piercing/exploding rounds.

The hard part is not the concept, but how it fits into the game. What are its mechanics? What are its stats? How does it perform and compare to other weapons? Is it a critical weapon? Is it a status weapon? Is it an Impact base damage weapon or pure Blast damage? Why would someone use it instead of a Vectis? Or a Soma Prime?

I keep comparing it to the Opticor because the description this far sounds like it acts the same: powerful rifle, no sniper scope, explosive AOE on impact, etc. So I'm starting from that similarity and brainstorming how it is different and can be made unique and interesting and fun to use in-game.

32 minutes ago, taiiat said:

since it's a Lever Action, i'm 99% sure it would be lesser Damage, larger Magazine, faster Reload, higher Rate of Fire. than Opticor if you must compare.

This is kind of what's needed to push the concept forward, IMO.

1 hour ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Elegant, awesome, satisfying. Mid range. No scope. Uses sniper ammo. Rounds loaded one at a time, can be interrupted. Slow. Powerful. It has to have satisfying sounds, on both ejection and firing. Also, rounds explode in a short radius on impact.

I am so down with this. I love the feel of LAR's. I also like hipfire and explosive rounds. combining the three would be very fun.

1 hour ago, Rehtael7 said:

No scope means no scope bonuses, no sniper combo.

Wow! The benefits just keep rolling in, don't they? I already support it, you don't have to spoil me.

Seriously, though, I really like this idea. I like the lack of a scope because in order to balance all those scoped bonuses DE nerfed the hipfire on snipers, and I hate that. I only want to ADS when I need to for a tough shot.

How about an innate blast proc on the explosion? Remember that we need to fight hordes with this weapon, so lets not do what we did with snipers and make a gun that belongs in a Far Cry game instead of warframe. Also realize that one of the uses of this gun will be with a Saryn spore / gas build.

28 minutes ago, taiiat said:

most of the Sniper Rifles cannot effectively put the Combo bonus to use anyways.

what i would be expecting out of this Weapon based on what you've said:
C7ydWpb.png

The new sniper mod extends the combo duration by 12 seconds.