Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Considering next shotgun

sushibend

Question

I need a shotgun that can drop really tough units in sorties(quickly).

I already have the kohm and strun wraith.

The strun wraith is too weak and I dont like the reload mechanic.

The kohm gobbles up too much ammo.

I'm down to the vaykor hek, sancti tigris, and drakgoon.

The vaykor hek looks rather dependent on crits but can only reach 47.5% or something which isnt all that reliable. Primed ravage looks kinda expensive also.

The sancti tigris obviously hits ridiculously hard but it only has 2 shots and an uncomfortable trigger mechanic.

The drakgoon has no damage fall off, and can hit very hard with charged attacks. This also comes with innate punch through and ricochets once. The new fomorian accelerant mod should also help.

I can't really decide what to get.

19 answers to this question

Vaykor Hek, although it has 47.5% crit only, the crit chance is universial for all the pellets. Meaning that every pellets of Vaykor Hek have 47.5% crit chance. 
In Warframe, crit weapons also deals much higher damage than normal damage when preforming headshots, allowing Vaykor Hek to shine even more against higher level enemies while headshot.

Sobek is good with the new augment, but it has some bug right now...

Although Kohm can be a good weapon, I do not like the fire mechanic. As far as I can tell, not everyone can get used to Kohm, while Vaykor Hek is definitely the handier one and more powerful in general as long as you have Primed Ravage.

Sancti Tigris can be an alternative to Vaykor Hek, but is greatly out-preformed by V.Hek's Crit Headshot and ease to use as well as clip size. But other than that, Sancti Tigris can be your pick if you don't have Primed Ravage.

Edited by --Valkyr

My personal favorite is the regular Hek with scattered justice mod from steel meridian. It requires 5 forma but it is an absolute monster. 

Hells chamber, maxed primed point blank, seeking fury, vicious spread, blaze, scattered justice, charged shell, and contagious spread. 

At first the Sancti Tigris's duplex trigger maybe hard to get a hold of, but after a while you will get used to it.

Most of the time there is at least more than one enemy thrown at you, so it's hard to waste your ammo, and if there is only one enemy just reload. 

The Tigris's duplex-auto is way easier to get used to than you'd think. Just hold the fire button down any time you shoot. If there's still something to shoot at, let go of it. If there isn't, press reload. It eventually becomes second nature.

Vaykor Hek is very straight-forward and while it doesn't possess that savage punch that the Sancti Tigris has, it will put in a lot of work for you if you feed it the right mod setup. I'd put them about equal in terms of effectiveness, they just skew to diffferent extremes.

If you can get ahold of one (it may be returning if the Prime Vault is opening soon), get yourself a Boar Prime and build it for Status chance. Get it to 100% (don't cop out, go for the full 100%) with Corrosive and Blast. Anything in front of you that has armor will spend all of its time falling over and having its armor forcibly removed and not be able to stop you doing it. It's fully automatic, has a good base fire rate and works wonders with ammo mutation. Mine can go all mission without feeling hungry, and it just makes a meal out of anything that dares to have armor. Change your mods for what you need, of course. Radiation and Viral if they're already stripped, Magnetic and Gas for Corpus.

My preference is Sancti Tigris with this build:

Spoiler

XJyOksL.jpg

• Reload is down to 1.0 second, so you can get into its rhythm easily.
  • You also get some punchthrough from Seeking Fury which makes sure your insanely powerful pellets don't get wasted on just the first target they hit.
  • Replace Cleanse and second elemental mods for appropriate faction as necessary.
  • You can also replace Cleanse mod with Vicious Spread if you want to hit more targets.
  • A lifehack which will make you love Tigris: bind your fire to Mouse Wheel Up, that way a single scroll of your mouse wheel will fire both shots at the same time, resulting in insane one-shots.

The only thing that can compare to this in terms of reliably landing damage is Vaykor Hek, but it needs a second Primed mod, Primed Ravage, which isn't exactly useful on any other weapon except for Vaykor Hek, and it's questionable whether it's even worth leveling.

Hek is my favorite and yes I have tried all three, ranked them all up to level 30 and still come back to the Hek. The Vaykor Hek doesn't seem too different besides having 8 shells compared to regular Hek's 4. I am starting to forma the sucker and man does is kill everything, definitely worth the time and money.

Second favorite is Sobek with its monster 20 shell magazine and Justice mod, almost as good as Hek. Have not gotten the new Acid Shells mod yet but I assume it will push the god into shotgun god territory.  

Sancti Tigris is a good choice. At point blank (haha), it absolutely wrecks anything in its path. It used to be my favorite and most-used shotgun, but it drops off easily compared to Vaykor Hek. If you have Primed Ravage, Vaykor Hek. Hands down. The 47.5% crit chance is good enough to destroy enemies in scaling missions.

Use Bör Prime and Rhino Prime. Rhino Prime charge and stagger enemies so vulnerable to attack. Spam 2 to be invincible, unstoppable wall of deth to enemies. Rhino hungry for flesh. Rhino have Bör takakakakakaka turn enemies into food. Enemies surrounding Rhino, trying to make him confused. Rhino pauses game with 4 and makes meal-cooking easier with buff takakakakakaka.

As someone, who hates shotguns (to me, they are melee weapons, that need ammunition), I can only say: Try out the Tigris. It has all the features, I dislike about shotguns (limited effective reach, low magazine capacity,...), but the damage just makes up for it! And as for the trigger mechanics:

On 5/7/2016 at 6:43 AM, BlaineKodos said:

The Tigris's duplex-auto is way easier to get used to than you'd think. Just hold the fire button down any time you shoot. If there's still something to shoot at, let go of it. If there isn't, press reload. It eventually becomes second nature.