The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game needs "fat" warframes

Deshiel

6 hours ago, SilverBones said:

It's getting close. So here, is a friendly warning for all present; Like the idea or hate it, there is no room for uncivil behavior on the forums. Keep it civil, keep it constructive, or don't post.

On the topic of being constructive, I took the idea of a larger Warframe to come up with a personal 'challange accepted' to make a bulky, lumbering alternative, while maintaining the theme (I think) as well as combat usefulness.

So here we go. Sumo Gunboat 'Frame:

SumoGunboat_zpsxbqhmvxe.png

This is not fat. More of a muscular, colossus style build.  Doesn't Atlas already fill this role?

1 hour ago, heskaroid said:

we got wukong.

if you think wukong is fat, than you are severely deluded about body proportions.

Anyway, speaking about fat female frames...

Evangelist%20Set.jpg

Been doing some research and indeed, above average size female characthers are incredibly rare. Playable even more rare. Which trully is a pitty, because some variation would be nice.

I'm Portuguese, and I remember how, two years ago, I went to a "vindima", which is basically the summer harvest of grapes. I got astonished how, even though most men were doing it and they occasionally hate bread with ham and drank water (and no one can blame them, I had to do the same or I'd faint), there was this... 50-ish woman, rather bulky, rather the opposite of what we deem as athletic, dressed all black (she was a widow, so she had to always wear black. Yeah... Some parts of Portugal are rather... "conservative"), that basically kept on doing it, without food, without water, for the whole bloody morning, with the summer sun sky high. And she only came back an hour or two after everyone else went to have lunch. I got amazed it was even humanly possible to tolerate it.

So yes. I'd like to see a bulky frame. Even more a female one, because they are so rare. After all,what's the point of making something if you aren't innovating?

1 hour ago, (XB1)Dr Desflurane said:

This is not fat. More of a muscular, colossus style build.  Doesn't Atlas already fill this role?

You'll note, I did not mention fat in the concept. People's perception of what is fat can vary on culture, family, location and personal experience. 

To say one thing has to be a certain way to be 'fat' is like saying the only thing that can be classed as blue is periwinkle. 

My concept above was an attempt to show that I think you could have a conceptually large, lumbering frame and still be thematically correct as well as combat effective. 

Atlas to me is more a brawler. His waist is still thin and his overall build - while large - is still fundamentally athletic. It's like comparing an MMA fighter to a Rugby Prop. This guy is designed to hold fast, carry a lot of ordinance and slap people when they get too close. 

20 minutes ago, SilverBones said:

You'll note, I did not mention fat in the concept. People's perception of what is fat can vary on culture, family, location and personal experience. 

To say one thing has to be a certain way to be 'fat' is like saying the only thing that can be classed as blue is periwinkle. 

My concept above was an attempt to show that I think you could have a conceptually large, lumbering frame and still be thematically correct as well as combat effective. 

Atlas to me is more a brawler. His waist is still thin and his overall build - while large - is still fundamentally athletic. It's like comparing an MMA fighter to a Rugby Prop. This guy is designed to hold fast, carry a lot of ordinance and slap people when they get too close. 

Yea like the only large thing about Atlas are his shoulders. I got a vibe from your concept that your frame would be even larger than Rhino. Some might be afraid of that, but FOV would be adjusted fo sho. Like in mass effect 3 when you play the multiplayer as the geth colossus, the camera behind was just pushed further behind.

Just now, tnccs215 said:

if you think wukong is fat, than you are severely deluded about body proportions.

Anyway, speaking about fat female frames...

Evangelist%20Set.jpg

Been doing some research and indeed, above average size female characthers are incredibly rare. Playable even more rare. Which trully is a pitty, because some variation would be nice.

I'm Portuguese, and I remember how, two years ago, I went to a "vindima", which is basically the summer harvest of grapes. I got astonished how, even though most men were doing it and they occasionally hate bread with ham and drank water (and no one can blame them, I had to do the same or I'd faint), there was this... 50-ish woman, rather bulky, rather the opposite of what we deem as athletic, dressed all black (she was a widow, so she had to always wear black. Yeah... Some parts of Portugal are rather... "conservative"), that basically kept on doing it, without food, without water, for the whole bloody morning, with the summer sun sky high. And she only came back an hour or two after everyone else went to have lunch. I got amazed it was even humanly possible to tolerate it.

So yes. I'd like to see a bulky frame. Even more a female one, because they are so rare. After all,what's the point of making something if you aren't innovating?

I am not saying Wukong is fat.

But he looks fat.

4 minutes ago, heskaroid said:

I am not saying Wukong is fat.

But he looks fat.

not really, no.

he looks rather muscular, to me.

the kind of muscle build through physical exercise and martial art training. Without a big care with the caloric intake. You know, the body of someone who tries to be resistant, and fast, and etc, instead of abiding to the beauty standards of a given society on a given age.

People are pushing the lines, and once again I am going to give you all a final heads up.

Keep it civil. Keep it clean. There is no need to attack groups based on race, creed, gender or sexuality, and this is not part of the discussion of larger, bulkier frames.

Anymore and the thread gets locked.

All this talk makes me think about something though. When we talk about "fat", especially in arts like Sumo, people tend to forget there is a LOT of muscle under all that fatty tissue. Those guys are big because it helps them keep their center of gravity low and makes them harder to manhandle backwards out of the ring, which is the main point of Sumo (if I understand it correctly). But then you talk about other people being "fat" as an insult. People who are out of shape and unhealthy.

Personally, I think if a Warframe is going to fit into the style of the game easiest it's going to have to be more of the "Sumo" or other athletically muscled style, even if that muscle is under a lot of fat. Tenno are highly mobile and agile. If you're going to give a gigantic 'frame that much mobility, I'd prefer it t have some more believable reason why than just "Space Ninjas with Magic". lol

I am fat. Quite fat indeed. And I can tell that the idea of a fat frame is absurd. First of all every single frame is designed to fit the cosmetic equipment in the game. Second, it does not make sense, a muscular frame like Rhino and Atlas makes sense, but a fat blubbery frame makes no sense. Why would an apex stealth soldier allow excess fat to form in it's body? Warframes are all fit, and fat is not fit.

5 minutes ago, DrakoBluewing said:

I am fat. Quite fat indeed. And I can tell that the idea of a fat frame is absurd. First of all every single frame is designed to fit the cosmetic equipment in the game. Second, it does not make sense, a muscular frame like Rhino and Atlas makes sense, but a fat blubbery frame makes no sense. Why would an apex stealth soldier allow excess fat to form in it's body? Warframes are all fit, and fat is not fit.

in that case, if we trully have to obey to "logic', you'd have to remove Equinox's skirt, because that stuff would bind movement like hell. You'd have to increase Oberon's and Strega Trin's feet size, because they wouldn't be able to even walk, much less run and jump. You'd have to cut Saryn's high heels, Give Valkyr a crap ton more volume, and prevent Rhino and Atlas from jumping as much as other frames, because no way they'd be able to do so.

No one is asking for an enormously obese frame. We are asking for one that isn't so vanilla. Hell, I bet could make a "fat" frame with less volume than Rhino, and if that beast can jump like a ballerina, so can a frame with a bit more stomach.

9 minutes ago, Jeahanne said:

All this talk makes me think about something though. When we talk about "fat", especially in arts like Sumo, people tend to forget there is a LOT of muscle under all that fatty tissue. Those guys are big because it helps them keep their center of gravity low and makes them harder to manhandle backwards out of the ring, which is the main point of Sumo (if I understand it correctly). But then you talk about other people being "fat" as an insult. People who are out of shape and unhealthy.

Personally, I think if a Warframe is going to fit into the style of the game easiest it's going to have to be more of the "Sumo" or other athletically muscled style, even if that muscle is under a lot of fat. Tenno are highly mobile and agile. If you're going to give a gigantic 'frame that much mobility, I'd prefer it t have some more believable reason why than just "Space Ninjas with Magic". lol

Agreed. In the case of the thread, I would think the term 'fat' means bulky and power-house levels of size, rather than morbidly obese and unable to perform large acts of strength and combat. From what I am gathering from the OP, that was probably the intent, not to say that Warframes that are 'fat' should be unhealthy and unable to run for long periods of time.

You look at wrestlers like Kain or The Big Show. Those guys were huge, had barrel-chested torsos and could still leap from a corner post a good few feet when needed. They are far from what I would term athletic or lithe though. Sumo Gunboat is more of an attempt to go for large, hulking, but ultimately slower and more centered.

8 minutes ago, SilverBones said:

Agreed. In the case of the thread, I would think the term 'fat' means bulky and power-house levels of size, rather than morbidly obese and unable to perform large acts of strength and combat. From what I am gathering from the OP, that was probably the intent, not to say that Warframes that are 'fat' should be unhealthy and unable to run for long periods of time.

You look at wrestlers like Kain or The Big Show. Those guys were huge, had barrel-chested torsos and could still leap from a corner post a good few feet when needed. They are far from what I would term athletic or lithe though. Sumo Gunboat is more of an attempt to go for large, hulking, but ultimately slower and more centered.

I completely agree with you. It would be interesting to make the mechanics of it work too. Maybe make it work a step further than Atlas's passive when he can't be knocked down when his feet are touching the floor. Give the frame a little less mobility in exchange for a sort of brick wall immovability feel. Like this warframe would be impossible to move without HIM (or her) wanting to.

12 hours ago, Senpai-Pie said:

Actually, they do. If they didn't then they wouldn't have different shapes thus all being slim, all would look male and probably look like a typical orokin soldier. They either represent different Orokin geniuses, soldiers or the first people who was going to use that frame.

That or you're right and the Orokin were bored of regular Orokin soldier appearances.

On another note, "fat" warframes won't happen. Bulky warframes are a whole other story.

We dont know the reason why most frames look like they do. On top of that, yeah they are machines, so if they were built to represent something that still doesnt dictate why the frame is build like it was. Because it's a machine and machines, of war specially, are built for a purpose. They arent build to look like a certain thing.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

1 minute ago, Mak_Gohae said:

We dont know the reason why most frames look like they do. On top of that, yeah they are machines, so if they were built to represent something that still doesnt dictate why the frame is build like it was. Because it's a machine and machines, of what specially, are built for a purpose. They arent build to look like a certain thing.

Like I said, they could honor/represent famous figures that the Orokin admired.

Let's face it though, the real reason is because DE wanted to make warframes look unique.

11 minutes ago, Senpai-Pie said:

Like I said, they could honor/represent famous figures that the Orokin admired.

Let's face it though, the real reason is because DE wanted to make warframes look unique.

True, but if we are going to use in-world logic, like i said that i misspelled, machines of WAR arent built to look pretty. They are built for a purpose.

This is the reason why i hate Mr. Peanut Limbo so much. Cause that doesn look like anything that would be sent to war.

Just now, Mak_Gohae said:

True, but if we are going to use in-world logic, like i said that i misspelled, machines of WAR arent built to look pretty. They are built for a purpose.

This is the reason why i hate Mr. Peanut Limbo so much. Cause that doesn look like anything that would be sent to war.

True indeed. I have a feeling Limbo was built for entertainment at first, then was assigned to work as a distraction and eventually he... well, he blew up into pieces.

On 5/17/2016 at 11:37 PM, Visterus said:

The operators aren't orokin art after all.

That's questionable since what is exactly Orokin isn't defined completely yet. For all we know they're people who've tried to make themselves more god-like in appearance (based on some of the synthesis targets) Although you are right, look at all the prime frames and weapons, if they are the originals then what do all the extra unnecessary gold bits and stuff say about its creators?

2 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

We dont know the reason why most frames look like they do. On top of that, yeah they are machines, so if they were built to represent something that still doesnt dictate why the frame is build like it was. Because it's a machine and machines, of war specially, are built for a purpose. They arent build to look like a certain thing.

Considering some frames were guards to the Orokin (if some of the syandana desc. are right) the Orokin probably made them (the Prime Frames) look like they do to show off their technological prowess and such.

22 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

in that case, if we trully have to obey to "logic', you'd have to remove Equinox's skirt, because that stuff would bind movement like hell. You'd have to increase Oberon's and Strega Trin's feet size, because they wouldn't be able to even walk, much less run and jump. You'd have to cut Saryn's high heels, Give Valkyr a crap ton more volume, and prevent Rhino and Atlas from jumping as much as other frames, because no way they'd be able to do so.

No one is asking for an enormously obese frame. We are asking for one that isn't so vanilla. Hell, I bet could make a "fat" frame with less volume than Rhino, and if that beast can jump like a ballerina, so can a frame with a bit more stomach.

I will dare to say Vauban is actually a bit chubby compared to Excalibur. There is, he old man chubby frame, that is as fat as they get. And also, consider that a more fat frame would have a hard time walking through Corpus ventilation shafts and performing all the required parkour stuff. It is simply not practical enough. And the worst part is the motive why people are asking for it. I mean, if it was out of creativity or just to try something unusual I would not be so strongly against it, but it is for the sake of the politically correct term of "representation", or, in layman terms, tokenism.

We don't need that in video games, they are meant to be fun, not to push a political ideology. Yes, you can put a political ideology in a game, but it must be  fun, and it must be your game. Don't ask others to change their game for the sake of your opinion, that is cruel.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:26 PM, Deshiel said:

Silly as this sounds. Many games with character selection or creation offer all kinds of human shapes and sizes to help you find the look you want. Some people are larger than the other. Some are small. If the other waframes can be well built or insanely skiny, why is there no "large" frame? 

Should the game add some big lad to our arsenal to represent the wastly ignored part of humanity or should it continue staying away from them?

Good Lord.

Spoiler

Fat operators sure makes sense. they are "human" after all

FAt warframe not reallt. And it's  a TPS; would occupy too much screen space for no useful reason imo.

Coul be cool , some kind of budha  themed frame or something like that  but  making a frame fat , just for the sake of it seems pointless to me.