Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Red crit melee weapons?

Edge_Hog

Question

I love my nikana and it's great but for higher missions I need to get more red critical hits in there.

My main two frames consist of Frost and Loki.

Nikana Prime works well for all but around level 80-90 enemies it starts to really stop its effort because of the lack of red critical damage.

suggestions? I was thinking Orthos of a longer weapon that can use reach and hit more enemies, boosting body count quicker.

25 answers to this question

Just now, RawrZy said:

Impact damage doesn't make this absolutely horrid. My Rakta Cernos is primarily impact, yet I carry it into Grineer and Corpus missions alike. Granted it might not do as much as a Dread, but it'll hit faster for sure.

Kind of the same scenario with the War vs. the Galatine. The galatine only has a 10% critical chance whereas the War has a 20%, making it a viable critical weapon, able to take advantage of the Beserker mod, to allow it to attack immensely faster than the galatine. The galatine is a nice weapon, however. 

If you have the naramon focus, good red crit weapons like the Dual Ichors(25%) and Prisma Dual Cleavers (20%) are very good red crit weapons, with very fast attack speeds allowing you to build up your combo quickly.

And by body count, I'm referring to the mod, 'Body Count', which increases your combo duration by 12 seconds if I recall correctly (at max rank), allowing your combo to tide over gaps in the fights (activating life support, reviving an ally, etc.)

That's a very fair and good response.

Galatine will have to do until War though.

Off topic, any good weapons you'd recommend for MR11 users?

Welp since you already seem to be aware of blood rush+bodycount. You basically want stuff with a 25% chance or better to red crit reliably. Tekkos have a 30% base crit chance, which turns them into meat grinders when doing that combo.

Just now, Sakatchi said:

Welp since you already seem to be aware of blood rush+bodycount. You basically want stuff with a 25% chance or better to red crit reliably. Tekkos have a 30% base crit chance, which turns them into meat grinders when doing that combo.

I was thinking of switching it out with broken war for higher up levels. What do you think?

in theory most melee weapons can red crit with the blood rush mod. if you want a stream of pure or near pure red crits and dont mind a fist weapon tekko is a red critting beast*.

*with blood rush

Edit: combine with the shadow step naramon passive and any weapon that crits regularly, your damage output doesnt mean alot. cause you'll be invisible.

Edited by Caobie

Red crits are irrelevant, your dps is what matters. A weapon that can't deal red crits can still outdps a red crit weapon.

Orthos Prime can't crit properly , but its range makes it one of the biggest dps melees there are.

1 minute ago, Naftal said:

Red crits are irrelevant, your dps is what matters. A weapon that can't deal red crits can still outdps a red crit weapon.

Orthos Prime can't crit properly , but its range makes it one of the biggest dps melees there are.

What about broken war? Would that be a more suitable change?

Just now, Edge_Hog said:

What about broken war? Would that be a more suitable change?

Broken War can't crit properly either, Nikana Prime wins if it's crits you want.

Broken War will most likely outdps Nikana Prime through superior stance multipliers. The difference shouldn't be very big though, I doubt you can make it much further with BW compared to NP. Better idea is to improve your play style and/or play a frame that will buff your damage.

Stuff like Jat/FragorP/ScindoP outperform these things most of the time though.

4 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Broken War can't crit properly either, Nikana Prime wins if it's crits you want.

Broken War will most likely outdps Nikana Prime through superior stance multipliers. The difference shouldn't be very big though, I doubt you can make it much further with BW compared to NP. Better idea is to improve your play style and/or play a frame that will buff your damage.

Stuff like Jat/FragorP/ScindoP outperform these things most of the time though.

Oh I see, I know that heavy weapons out beat most quick ones.

I was thinking of bringing back my Galatine on Loki since I'm pretty much invisible 99.99% of the time and using cleaving whirlwind, I was newbie when I got it and have yet to try blood rush + body count combo.

would you recommend fury on galatine or no?

Just now, Edge_Hog said:

would you recommend fury on galatine or no?

Depends. I would use it myself with Berserker because attack speed buffs are multiplicative. There are builds that have 8 more important mods than Fury though.

Just now, Naftal said:

Depends. I would use it myself with Berserker because attack speed buffs are multiplicative. There are builds that have 8 more important mods than Fury though.

Yeah I heard, fury is more of a personal reference but I think since I have Loki permanent invisibility I wouldn't need fury (berserker is a hands down on any melee I use, as with body count and blood rush) I could replace it with true steel for the moment.

Get the war.

Kidding, of course -- but it is a nice weapon, very nice, just hard to acquire.

If you want red crotch melee then grab something that won't fall off as hard. The destreza is quite nice but lacks in defensive capabilities, but can dish out some nice damage (which is primarily puncture if I recall correctly.) Anything with a 20% critical chance (or higher!) with blood rush and beserker (add in a body count unless you're doing something like ODD, because infested will charge faster than corrupted) can pretty much red critical at around 2x-2.5x multipliers without any other critical chance mods. Also be sure to use organ shatter, 90% more damage is more dead enemies.

2 minutes ago, RawrZy said:

Get the war.

Kidding, of course -- but it is a nice weapon, very nice, just hard to acquire.

If you want red crotch melee then grab something that won't fall off as hard. The destreza is quite nice but lacks in defensive capabilities, but can dish out some nice damage (which is primarily puncture if I recall correctly.) Anything with a 20% critical chance (or higher!) with blood rush and beserker (add in a body count unless you're doing something like ODD, because infested will charge faster than corrupted) can pretty much red critical at around 2x-2.5x multipliers without any other critical chance mods. Also be sure to use organ shatter, 90% more damage is more dead enemies.

I always got organ. I would like war but it being impact damage is really terrible, whereas Galatine is complete slash giving me more "body counts" I guess you could put it right?

Just now, Edge_Hog said:

I always got organ. I would like war but it being impact damage is really terrible, whereas Galatine is complete slash giving me more "body counts" I guess you could put it right?

Impact damage doesn't make this absolutely horrid. My Rakta Cernos is primarily impact, yet I carry it into Grineer and Corpus missions alike. Granted it might not do as much as a Dread, but it'll hit faster for sure.

Kind of the same scenario with the War vs. the Galatine. The galatine only has a 10% critical chance whereas the War has a 20%, making it a viable critical weapon, able to take advantage of the Beserker mod, to allow it to attack immensely faster than the galatine. The galatine is a nice weapon, however. 

If you have the naramon focus, good red crit weapons like the Dual Ichors(25%) and Prisma Dual Cleavers (20%) are very good red crit weapons, with very fast attack speeds allowing you to build up your combo quickly.

And by body count, I'm referring to the mod, 'Body Count', which increases your combo duration by 12 seconds if I recall correctly (at max rank), allowing your combo to tide over gaps in the fights (activating life support, reviving an ally, etc.)

Just now, Edge_Hog said:

That's a very fair and good response.

Galatine will have to do until War though.

For critical builds, destreza, prisma skana, and the prisma dual cleavers, as well as the Ichors and such. It's personal preference and which one you can get most familiar with the stance with. Even the Hate is viable for criticals, and has nice range on its combos -- that's probably just me that likes it, because I'm weird.

Anything that you can relate to in stances is usually fine. But, like I said, it's mostly personal preference.

And if you need help finding anything, (or if anyone's reading this and wondering); The Destreza is in the market (requires nitain!), Ichors are in the clan dojo -- infested/bio lab -- and the Prisma weapons are both Ki'Teer weapons of course.

25 minutes ago, Edge_Hog said:

I could replace it with true steel for the moment.

True Steel is never better than Fury.

I would not use TS before the combo counter mods were released. I would definitely not use it now when Blood Rush exists, even though it's multiplicative.

I love the Nikana Prime and i'm using it 99% of the time. For regular Playing i use a Build without Bloodrush and Bodycount as the Weapon has pretty good Critrate by itself, but for endless missions i always end up using them as they make it easier later on IF there are enough enemies. I would also recommend the Dual Kamas Prime. They don't really have the highest crit-rate of them all, but they have a really damn fast animation Speed and attack Speed in general, so while they don't hit just as hard they do hit really really fast, i loved them before Nikana Prime came out, but Nikana is just way more fun for me.

28 minutes ago, Edge_Hog said:

Have you heard about the explosions of our lord and savior Tonkor?

But anyway for melee wepaons I prefer these:

Sydon: It's a trident. I like tridents.

Mios: Good for armor stripping.

Ninkondi: same as Mios but with WHACHAAA!!

Tekko for red crit ORARARARARA!

Destreza for red crits and general dandyness.

Jat Kittag for when you want to launch fools into space.

Karyst because it's Toxic and can house covert letahlity.

And Prova Vandal when I'm feeling like I'm not hipster enough.

there's lots of choices, just browse around the Melee Weapons which have high Crit Chance, and as long as you steer away from Machetes, then choose whatever floats your boat.

42 minutes ago, Edge_Hog said:

I would like war but it being impact damage is really terrible

the composition of your Base Damage is irrelevant if it's IPS Damage.
it's already been pointed out but one sentence explanations don't cut it for these things so:

it doesn't matter because whether it's an Impact, Puncture, or Slash Weapon, 90%+ of the total Damage your Weapon does comes from Elementals.
and especially here if fighting Armored Enemies, any Damage Type that isn't Corrosive or Radiation is basically useless.

people getting all giddy over a few points of extra Physical Damage, with like say Dread, over another Bow - when the Physical Damage difference will get you an extra couple thousand on a Spike Damage Weapon in the best scenarios. while in the worse losing a significant amount of Damage because the Armor the Enemy had made your Physical Damage single Digit anyways so it really doesn't matter.

things are different if the Weapon in question has good Status though, as being weighted towards certain Damage compositions will cause that Damage Type to occur more often in Status Effects. so then Slash is useful, to get the strong DoT - but you'll get them anyways on any IPS based Weapon, and isn't worth focusing on unless the Status Chance is quite high.

40 minutes ago, RawrZy said:

Granted it might not do as much as a Dread, but it'll hit faster for sure.

if we're assuming you're not in a perfectly orchestrated session where you're using Corrosive Projections - Rakta Cernos applies >=23% more Elemental Damage per shot on average. 

and in a perfectly orchestrated session, with the 25% bonus to Flesh, Dread and Rakta Cernos deal the same amount of Physical Damage - but Rakta Cernos still deals the same amount more Elemental Damage.
granted it cannot Red Crit with Point Strike... but if you need to rely on a 25% rate Chance per Projectile on a Spike Damage Weapon to Kill Enemies, you're going to be disappointed (and dead) more often than not.

Prisma Cleavers or Dual Kama's Prime.

Cleavers red crit for days even without Naramon. Decent slash procs. 

Kama's red crit less, but even better slash procs.

Both decimate high level enemies.

Edited by Voidforged

I have both the War and the Nikana Prime.  For me, nothing outperforms the Nikana P with blind Justice.  I'll only break out the War or Galatine when I want to have wider sweeping range for killing groups at once.  It's the very slow start of the heavy weapons when compared to the quicker Nikana that really gets me.  Once the Berserker and Fury mods kick in, the War and Galatine are a blast.  :D

Edited by DatDarkOne
emphasist