Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PS4 to PC or crossplay between consoles and PC?

So I'm a veteran PS4 player that stopped playing for a while due to many friends I made in game leaving. My two best friends began playing Warframe on PC recently (they're hooked) and because I missed the opportunity to transfer my PS4 account over to PC I've been upset that I can't game with them. I've spent a ton of time and money on my PS4 account (reaching master rank 17 since early 2015) so I don't want to start a new account on PC and start all over again just to play with friends and Sony isn't interested in transfers between PS4 and PC. But from what I read DE is not interested in crossplay because it's difficult to have the games on all platforms run on the same engine due to the time it takes for Sony and Microsoft to certify updates, that and DE likes the freedom to update Warframe anytime they want on PC.

So is PS4 to PC or Crossplay between Console and PC still be looking into?

There has never been a chance to transfer from any console to PC- only the other way around.

There never WILL be a chance to transfer from any console to PC- blame Sony/Microsoft. They are why.

There will never be cross play between the consoles and PC- again, blame Sony/Microsoft again. Specifically their cert process in this case.

Like the above said, due to DE's agreements with Sony/Microsoft, there will never be a way to port an account from Console to PC. Sad, but true.

That said the reason why they're won't ever be cross-platform play between PC and Consoles has nothing to do with the game Engine, but rather with keeping the Builds of the game in sync. Due to Certification, there's always a delay of at LEAST a few weeks between when DE submits a build to Sony/Microsoft and when they choose to allow that build to actually go through. It has something to do with how the builds interact with Console software, and neither Sony nor Microsoft are okay with a game developer, ANY game developer, having access to change anything to do with that programming at will. Add to that that it usually takes several iterations of DE sending something to Cert, having them send it back to DE for changes, and DE sending it back to Cert, that it's never the minimum possible time between an update being sent to Cert and it actually being accepted into the Console build. This is why DE sends updates out to Console in batches, to eliminate as much time as possible between updates being hung up in Cert.

In order for Cross-Platform play to happen, each build of the accounts playing together has to be the same. If they aren't it leads to all sorts of ugly problems. Since DE doesn't want to hold builds back from PC (since PC does a LOT to help bug test, if nothing else), this kind of play can't happen. This is also why the availability to port accounts from PC to Console are so rare. These ports can also only happen when the builds are in sync. DE has jokingly referred to this syncing as "Building the Rainbow Bridge". If you can have your friends wait, they may be willing to port to Console from PC when this next porting opportunity arises since DE has said that they want to give players another chance to port sometime in the future, but that may take a long time. There's no telling.

Sorry v.v

8 minutes ago, Jeahanne said:

Like the above said, due to DE's agreements with Sony/Microsoft, there will never be a way to port an account from Console to PC. Sad, but true.

That said the reason why they're won't ever be cross-platform play between PC and Consoles has nothing to do with the game Engine, but rather with keeping the Builds of the game in sync. Due to Certification, there's always a delay of at LEAST a few weeks between when DE submits a build to Sony/Microsoft and when they choose to allow that build to actually go through. It has something to do with how the builds interact with Console software, and neither Sony nor Microsoft are okay with a game developer, ANY game developer, having access to change anything to do with that programming at will. Add to that that it usually takes several iterations of DE sending something to Cert, having them send it back to DE for changes, and DE sending it back to Cert, that it's never the minimum possible time between an update being sent to Cert and it actually being accepted into the Console build. This is why DE sends updates out to Console in batches, to eliminate as much time as possible between updates being hung up in Cert.

In order for Cross-Platform play to happen, each build of the accounts playing together has to be the same. If they aren't it leads to all sorts of ugly problems. Since DE doesn't want to hold builds back from PC (since PC does a LOT to help bug test, if nothing else), this kind of play can't happen. This is also why the availability to port accounts from PC to Console are so rare. These ports can also only happen when the builds are in sync. DE has jokingly referred to this syncing as "Building the Rainbow Bridge". If you can have your friends wait, they may be willing to port to Console from PC when this next porting opportunity arises since DE has said that they want to give players another chance to port sometime in the future, but that may take a long time. There's no telling.

Sorry v.v

I thought the PC to Console was done via duplicating the account and not just transferring it. PC to Console has happened before when patches were out of sync and the content that transferred over was still there, but simply didn't appear until the update came to console.

Although CROSSPLAY COULD be possible if DE is willing too, it isn't in their interest.

It stinks D: *inserts why can't we be friends song here*

I hope a solution can be found and made, I'm sure it's possible, it's just the question of whether DE is willing to jump through all the hoops and Consoles will be willing. If there is ever a time for crossplay with PC it's now with since Xbox and Sony are both up for it.

I am sure others above have explained that PS4 to PC has never happened, and that it will likely never happen, and why, but. I would just put out there, that there has been some changes it possible strategies among companies like Microsoft and Sony, that maybe could open the possibility for this is the future. But, not near future. Microsoft is looking into moving to a platform agnostic approach for gaming, that may create an opportunity for easier transition between platforms. Sony, may still block this if it threatens their platform, but the benefits may outweigh the risks. Anyways, the point is there is a glimmer of possibility out there for your account having cross play someday. Though, it is slim.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX
miner edit

• 1 month later...

So I was checking to see if my paragon pc account is link to my ps4 and it seem like they are so why can't it be like this on warframe as well, is it harder for them to do this. With the way how console are being release now I would much rather start gaming on the pc.