Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Want A Browning Automatic Rifle In Game!

Rengakun

Create a weapon based off the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle. (Not to be confused with the Browning BAR; seriously, it's a different gun.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1918_BAR

My idea for stats:

- High Damage, much higher than the Gorgon

- Fire Rate 10 (600 rpm)

- No wind up time please

- Naturally high, and I mean EXTREMELY HIGH recoil

- But! But it will have an alternate firing mode during which a bipod is deployed (user becomes stationary, accuracy improves significantly)

- A shield fitted on the gun that activates during the alternate firing mode, that reduces incoming damage from the front.

- Clip size would be 20 (again, the M1918's actual magazine size)

I think a weapon with an alternate mode can help further increase diversity of the game. (Though to be honest, I simply want a M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle in the game.)

I really hope this post is seen and such a weapon be introduced. Please leave any comments and opinions below.

EDIT:

After reading through the feedback you guys have provided me with, I propose another idea for it's stats:

-Damage in between 24 and 40 (In between the Gorgon's and Latron's)

-Fire rate faster than the MK1-Braton (6.3)

-No wind up time

-Recoil would be less than the Gorgon's

-Clip size 20

Nothing special and OP about this one, I hope.

Edited by Rengakun

The devs seem to be against putting in versatile weapons. They nerfed the gorgon right out of this very niche where tapping single shots were accurate and holding it down was automatic, and made it have horrific accuracy pretty much all the time. That attitude pretty much rules out any kind of BAR / AK.

I'm with you. I think tapping off singles vs spraying full auto is a lot of fun and makes ammo management into an actual decision rather than just a reality of your stats

I'm just saying, the devs for this game don't seem to agree.

Edited by VKhaun

i cant envision using a weapon that roots you.

everything else sounds like the latron but unbalanced.

i would like alt fire modes but i dont see that happening. not with a game that will be on a console. that controller will limit how many functions you can actively use during play. best we can hope for is things like the paris with thunderbolt and have the basic behavior of the weapon change.

Not sure if the bipod idea would even happen for a game that encourages agility and mobility.

Would be somewhat interesting though.

Run to a spot where you can gun a lot of people. Set, obliterate the group, run to the next group of baddies, set, repeat... It adds an element of strategy that does not implies slowing down, especially because you'll have to think about where to set and will need to find all sorts of nice places for you to set your gun. Plus it will actually speed the game up if you have a strong enough gun that can obliterate a room with a single clip. (Also, there are always defense missions, those could use stationaries.)

i cant envision using a weapon that roots you.

everything else sounds like the latron but unbalanced.

i would like alt fire modes but i dont see that happening. not with a game that will be on a console. that controller will limit how many functions you can actively use during play. best we can hope for is things like the paris with thunderbolt and have the basic behavior of the weapon change.

Saying that you have too little buttons to do stuff is lack of creativity. You want diferent melee attack without adding a single melee button? Here's a few possible combinations:

- Scope + Melee = Long range trust strike.

- Tap Shift + Melee = Dash attack.

- Hold Melee + Jump = Jumping strike. (Shoryuken)

- Hold Melee + Tap Shift = Dodge strike.

Same can be done with any mechanic, so let's take some possible guns into concideration.

- Hold Reload = Set tripod (Shift Dodge to move on)

- Mouse wheel = Set firing mode (or switch weapon amunition)

- Scope + weapon swapping = Zoom modes

And so on and so forth. All you need is a bit of creativity with your button combination and you can make it into the game no problem. (Take the sliding button combinations for example, i though it was genius to have us slide if we crouched while we sprint. Also wallrunning, just keep space pressed and it will wallrun, the same key you used to jump! DE is good at this and if they ever need a way to implement stuff, they'll have it done.)

Edited by ReiganCross

AHAHAHAHAHA! No.

This is not the kind of weapon that suits Warframe. This is actually a worse suggestion than the TF2 style heavy mini-gun idea from a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry to be hard on you since you're new to the forum, but this is completely unworkable. Plus it's the gosh darn space future! If you propose crazy unbalanced weapons at least make them BFGs and Bolters, not junk from WW2.

Right, I just wanted to thank you guys for the feedback and respond to some of them.

This sounds so unbalanced it's frankly ridiculous. Sorry, try again.

Even with the second set of stats this gun will be too good in too many situations.

Have you considered the 20-round clip?

I want a lot of things... but can I get them all? No.

Plasma rocket and multi-shot grenade launcher to name a few.

I chose the title because I thought it would catch some attention. This is a suggestion thread after all.

I'm sorry to be hard on you since you're new to the forum, but this is completely unworkable. Plus it's the gosh darn space future! If you propose crazy unbalanced weapons at least make them BFGs and Bolters, not junk from WW2.

Thanks for acknowledging the fact that I'm new to the forums. Bolters would be nice but honestly, they just feel like regular weapons. Although it may be junk from WW2, the M1918 BAR is pretty awesome. (At least in my opinion.)

Also, here's something interesting for you to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Edited by Rengakun

Where to start... Ok, the clip's gonna run out in 3 secs at most at that fire rate, constant reloading can be hell; one of the reasons I avoided the Viper.

Having one(or many) guy(s) set up a turret and fire away at a boss or down a choke point is a nice situation to imagine, though.

Assuming that the gun is too powerful... try going as far as to make it the first weapon that disables the secondary weapon and/or melee weapon. That way you choose between encumbering yourself with one powerful weapon or bringing in a standard loadout. Oh yeah, the disabled weapon switch/melee attack button can then be used to toggle the alt mode too.

Sorry, didn't see that. But that makes full auto fire basically pointless, you'll empty the mag in about 2 and a half seconds. Or was that the intention?

Well, the weapon is based on the M1918 BAR, which is a light machine gun with a 20-round clip. So, it kinda is the intention.

I just got the urge to respond to more of the posts here, so I will. (I'm also bumping the thread)

The devs seem to be against putting in versatile weapons. They nerfed the gorgon right out of this very niche where tapping single shots were accurate and holding it down was automatic, and made it have horrific accuracy pretty much all the time. That attitude pretty much rules out any kind of BAR / AK.

I'm with you. I think tapping off singles vs spraying full auto is a lot of fun and makes ammo management into an actual decision rather than just a reality of your stats

I'm just saying, the devs for this game don't seem to agree.

It also seems that the devs want to go for simplicity and apeal to a wider audience, since there's not much strategy involved in the game.

Run to a spot where you can gun a lot of people. Set, obliterate the group, run to the next group of baddies, set, repeat... It adds an element of strategy that does not implies slowing down, especially because you'll have to think about where to set and will need to find all sorts of nice places for you to set your gun. Plus it will actually speed the game up if you have a strong enough gun that can obliterate a room with a single clip. (Also, there are always defense missions, those could use stationaries.)

And if you make it so that deploying/undeploying the bipod take time and have a limited arc of fire, it certainly could add an element of strategy.

This would be beyond ridiculously OP.
10 Rounds per second, damage resistance in the front (when stationary), decent accuracy (when stationary) and more damage than the Gorgon, AND NO WIND UP?
Holy S#&$.
F*** no.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Although you used hyperbole, you made your point.

Saying that you have too little buttons to do stuff is lack of creativity. You want diferent melee attack without adding a single melee button? Here's a few possible combinations:
- Scope + Melee = Long range trust strike.
- Tap Shift + Melee = Dash attack.
- Hold Melee + Jump = Jumping strike. (Shoryuken)
- Hold Melee + Tap Shift = Dodge strike.
Same can be done with any mechanic, so let's take some possible guns into concideration.
- Hold Reload = Set tripod (Shift Dodge to move on)
- Mouse wheel = Set firing mode (or switch weapon amunition)
- Scope + weapon swapping = Zoom modes
And so on and so forth. All you need is a bit of creativity with your button combination and you can make it into the game no problem. (Take the sliding button combinations for example, i though it was genius to have us slide if we crouched while we sprint. Also wallrunning, just keep space pressed and it will wallrun, the same key you used to jump! DE is good at this and if they ever need a way to implement stuff, they'll have it done.)

I gave you a +1 simply because you typed all of that in.

A BAR? This isn't LA Noire. Although that was a good game too. The BAR wouldn't really work too well in this game for a number of reasons people already listed.

L.A. Noire is the game that inspired me to start this thread in the first place! You read my mind, didn't you?

P.S. I also played it before starting this thread, but I wanted to start this thread since last week. Oh, and I was listening to the L.A. Noire OST when I read your post.

Edited by Rengakun

Thanks for acknowledging the fact that I'm new to the forums. Bolters would be nice but honestly, they just feel like regular weapons. Although it may be junk from WW2, the M1918 BAR is pretty awesome. (At least in my opinion.)

Also, here's something interesting for you to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Bolters are automatic Gyrojet grenade launchers. Regular weapons my a**! I don't even like the Imperium, but at least I know how their guns work! So's Oi can lootz it betta! :P

I suppose I shouldn't call it 'junk' the BAR was a fine gun for it's time, but it has been phased out in modern warfare for a reason.

It's fine to like the gun for what it is, but remember you're trying to put it up against 7 foot tall cyborgs in more armor than your average tank, swarms of energy weapon packing robots and super-powered magi-biotech space ninjas.

If you put the actual BAR in game it would do like 1 damage per shot! :P

How about we put a deployable howitzer in the game? Or a SAM-site?

What's with the whole deployable deal? This is Warframe... lightweight swords, and lightweight guns. It's not Space Marine where you can run about with a chainsword and a heavy bolter machine-rocket-launcher.

Bolters are automatic Gyrojet grenade launchers. Regular weapons my a**! I don't even like the Imperium, but at least I know how their guns work! So's Oi can lootz it betta! :P

I suppose I shouldn't call it 'junk' the BAR was a fine gun for it's time, but it has been phased out in modern warfare for a reason.

It's fine to like the gun for what it is, but remember you're trying to put it up against 7 foot tall cyborgs in more armor than your average tank, swarms of energy weapon packing robots and super-powered magi-biotech space ninjas.

If you put the actual BAR in game it would do like 1 damage per shot! :P

Oh, sorry about the whole Bolters being regular weapons thing... I only played through the campaign of Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II, so I don't really know much about the lore. As for putting the actual BAR in game, I simply suggested a gun that is based off  the BAR.

Edited by Rengakun

Oh, sorry about the whole Bolters being regular weapons thing... I only played through the campaign of Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II, so I don't really know much about the lore. As for putting the actual BAR in game, I simply suggested a gun that is based off  the BAR.

(Though to be honest, I simply want a M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle in the game.)

EDIT:

After reading through the feedback you guys have provided me with, I propose another idea for it's stats:

-Damage in between 24 and 40 (In between the Gorgon's and Latron's)

-Fire rate faster than the MK1-Braton (6.3)

-No wind up time

-Recoil would be less than the Gorgon's

-Clip size 20

I think I read that top line there too literally.

The new stats look much better. I had an interesting idea, you could bump the damage per shot up again if it used sniper ammo :)

That could give it a very interesting niche. Might make it too much of a boss killer though.

And I'm not actually surprised about you not knowing how Bolters are supposed to work. None of the videogames treat them as anything but bog standard HMGs either. I'm just very passionate about sci-fi weaponry for some reason :D

Edited by ValhaHazred

I think I read that top line there too literally.

The new stats look much better. I had an interesting idea, you could bump the damage per shot up again if it used sniper ammo :)

That could give it a very interesting niche. Might make it too much of a boss killer though.

And I'm not actually surprised about you not knowing how Bolters are supposed to work. None of the videogames treat them as anything but bog standard HMGs either. I'm just very passionate about sci-fi weaponry for some reason :D

But if it used Sniper ammo, wouldn't it be an automatic sniper rifle? I'm pretty sure someone already suggested that.

I'm also quite passionate about sci-fi weaponry, but I simply don't know anything about the Warhammer 40K Universe. :P

Edited by Rengakun