Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which weapon should I use Orokin Catalyst on?

yoKiDD

Question

Hello, I'm almost MR4 and have been playing for almost a week now. I bought two Warframe slots from my starting platinum and I'm currently building Nyx and Valkyr.

Currently I'm playing Excalibur with Flow, Intensify, Vitality and Redirection with ranks to match 30 capacity and I struggle against enemies around level 25 and up without Exalted Blade.

Since I cannot keep up my EB for the whole mission I need a weapon to fall back to. Right now I'm leveling a Braton, a Seer and a Cronus, have Cernos, Karak and Hikou sitting in my Foundry and maxed Dual Ethers in my inventory.

So what's a good weapon that's endgame viable and has no better version of it (like a Prime version) I could build right now to use it on? Considering my current warframes and MR?

Thanks in advance!

22 answers to this question

use it on your favorite weapon, really. Even the supra before the buff was a solid weapon with 6forma. It's enough for raid, sorties and 60min survival.

According to the list of weapon you gave, you are really new to the game and should focus on unlocking nodes and trying new weapons. The star chart can be completed without any potatoed weapon. By the time you are done with it you should have come accross weapons you like more.

ALL OP weapons will eventually be put on par with the other weapons.

I've seen people say the karak is decent but I still would not use a cata on it of you are that strapped for mats. There is a set of videos on YouTube aimed towards newer players getting into the game, I suggest you watch them. There is one specific to weapons.

Google :

Tactical potato + I'm new what next

I suggest a melee weapon. I probably say this in every single post where people ask for recommendations for weapons, but try out the Redeemer. With a potato (and posibly the stance mod) and a few ranked up mods, it's perfectly viable end-game weapon with lots of potential. It's my main tool when doing sorties, and can one-shot S2 enemies (and most, if not all, S3 enemies on close range. Not sure if your radial blind makes enemies vulnerable for stealth attacks (x4 dmg) - If they do, it would synergize well with your excalibur.)

Redeemer's problem is that isn't actually that good as an actual melee weapon - Can't nor should really build a crit nor status build with it and that limits it's usefulness, but the charge attack works wonders.

Really, it's the only weapon you need :P

Bonus: Depending on the mods you have, it does not even need a forma. I suppose it could use one, but for me, it works well without any.

Edited by Tomppak

3 minutes ago, Lucernam said:

I'd use it on Cernos, myself. There is a better version via the Red Veil, but that takes eons to get to, so Catalyst-ing it is what I did in the meantime. It's a great bow for use in Corpus Spy missions because of its absurdly high Impact damage. So I recommend slapping the potato on that bad boy.

The main problem with that suggestion is they are using the only cata they have on a weapon that is only decent against one faction. Granted in two weeks they might get another (but they might not with exilus, reactor and maybe forma coming from the 24 hour alerts) , but the reality is they should probably put it on a more "general use" weapon if they are starting out.

The weapon I really want to suggest is the Ignis but they didn't mention if they were in a clan. I know it isn't "god tier" but it will serve them through the entirety of the start map and is just an amazing utility weapon. Anything you need a "better" weapon for, Exalted Blade it.

If I might ask, do you have access to any syndicates? If so, I would look at their syndicate weapon mod options as many are decent weapons when modded and upgraded a bit. Prime weapons and syndicate sidearms later will be an option but for now, it might be worth considering syndicate weapon modded gear. If you don't have access to the mods, you might be able to ask a friend to trade them and with a little work, it will allow you to have a weapon that will compete at mid to high levels. Later, you should be able to get a Broken War so unless you have a favored style of melee, it might be best to hold on that if catalyst are in demand at the moment.

At MR4, you can get a Hek. If you also get your hands on its Steel Meridian augment, it makes it even more amazing.

I'm also a big fan of Redeemer (gunsword makes Melee-only Sorties a lot more tolerable), but it's build requirements are sorta high considering it needs 2 other weapons and the stance is rare.

Dual Cleavers are available at MR3 and also have a Steel Meridian augment that makes them slightly more useful than Dual Zoren IMO.

For a secondary, I'd go with Lex Prime (great crit and single target damage, works well with Suppress for stealth) or Sonicor (good splash damage and great crowd control).

I took a long time before I catalyzed my first weapon, like 2 months.  It was the synapse.  I don't recommend it, while a good weapon, it has limited range and requires mass forma and specific mods.

My suggestion would be to rank up to 30 and toss a few more weapons (those you know for sure you do not want to keep) so that you have free slots as you progress.  Once you hit rank 5, you can go the easy route and get the tonkor, definitely an end game weapon and worth a potato.

Most of weapons available to you right now with a few exceptions will have more powerful varients available (braton versus braton prime) and its my opinion that unless you have a lot of plat to spend, potato in the lesser versions isn't worth it.

p.s. don't get rid of dual ethers, you can not currently get them back if you regret your decision.

21 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Later, you should be able to get a Broken War so unless you have a favored style of melee, it might be best to hold on that if catalyst are in demand at the moment.

Broken War comes with a catalyst. Hek (MR4) for primary and Sonicor (MR 2) for secondary maybe? I think they are pretty good with MR4.

Oh DaftMeat said it already^^

Edited by The-Tective
DaftMeat said it already

Grab a Dual Zorens and potato those.

Dual Zorens are really strong early to mid tier where Crits dominate the Starchart. 

Speaking from experience : I used Dual Zorens from Mr 3 to Mr 6 before swapping them out for Dual Ichors. 

They served me really well and I still keep them today. 

Dual Zorens used to be the top tier Melee weapon when Coptering still existed, because it boasted crazy attack speed and Crit chance as well as decent damage.

Right now they cannot be used for Copterting anymore but their combat abilities still remain, boosted even with the introduction of Blood Rush and Body Count. 

I know you said guns without a better version, but I really recommend the boltor or if you can get it, the boltor prime at your MR rank. I used it up through MR 15 and even further. It's a really viable weapon. I replaced it with the Hek. A lot of the "end game" guns are mastery rank locked. 

Other than that, as it's been stated before, I'd use it only on weapons that you like and can see your self using. I'm pretty picky when it comes to potatoeing. If I don't like how it shoots, or can't find a build that's working, I don't potato it.

Seeing the weaponry you have I'd recommend to hold your catalyst a little longer, so that you tried out more things. I'd say, give a look to the Lex, that sidearm packs a real punch, even better, it has a prime.

1 hour ago, yoKiDD said:

Since I cannot keep up my EB for the whole mission I need a weapon to fall back to

Oh boy... :D

Get yourself a good automatic, like the Soma, it's a weapon that you can bring to loads of missions and mission types, so it's a good investment overall, not just for the catalyst.

1 hour ago, (XB1)BoricuaBeast91 said:

I'd recommend putting a catalyst on anything that has a potential of putting out high damage. Some examples for someone of your mastery would be Vectis,  Boltor Prime, & Zhuge.

Of the stuff you have, put a catalyst on either the Braton, Karak, or Cernos. 

I read the wikia about all these weapons. The Vectis puts me off because you need to reload after every shot. The Boltor Prime is vaulted and the Zhuge has high recoil but seems good enough. Might consider it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Wopel said:

I've seen people say the karak is decent but I still would not use a cata on it of you are that strapped for mats. There is a set of videos on YouTube aimed towards newer players getting into the game, I suggest you watch them. There is one specific to weapons.

Google :

Tactical potato + I'm new what next

Yeah, watched the beginner guide and best beginner weapons videos. The Latron seems cool, though there's a Prime version of it so it seems like a waste to use it on a normal version. The Karak looked cool, the comments in the wiki say that this is a decent gun which you need to reload often due to magazine size. Dunno, for me as a new player an orokin catalyst seems like a holy thing, so I rather not use it on a just a decent gun I will replace later anyways. Also the Sonicor and Lex seems cool, but I want a primary right now. Thanks for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Lucernam said:

I'd use it on Cernos, myself. There is a better version via the Red Veil, but that takes eons to get to, so Catalyst-ing it is what I did in the meantime. It's a great bow for use in Corpus Spy missions because of its absurdly high Impact damage. So I recommend slapping the potato on that bad boy.

I like bows but I didn't use the Cernos yet. I just read on the wikia that the Paris Prime and the Dread are better than the Cernos in many ways and the Paris Prime seems almost obtainable on my level, so I might try my luck on that first. Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, vazerd68 said:

use it on your favorite weapon, really. Even the supra before the buff was a solid weapon with 6forma. It's enough for raid, sorties and 60min survival.

According to the list of weapon you gave, you are really new to the game and should focus on unlocking nodes and trying new weapons. The star chart can be completed without any potatoed weapon. By the time you are done with it you should have come accross weapons you like more.

ALL OP weapons will eventually be put on par with the other weapons.

Thanks, that's good advice. My problem is just that I struggle against enemies on my level right now that's why I wanted to use it on a weapon that's obtainable for me right now and that I'll keep throughout the whole game. 

1 hour ago, Tomppak said:

I suggest a melee weapon. I probably say this in every single post where people ask for recommendations for weapons, but try out the Redeemer. With a potato (and posibly the stance mod) and a few ranked up mods, it's perfectly viable end-game weapon with lots of potential. It's my main tool when doing sorties, and can one-shot S2 enemies (and most, if not all, S3 enemies on close range. Not sure if your radial blind makes enemies vulnerable for stealth attacks (x4 dmg) - If they do, it would synergize well with your excalibur.)

Redeemer's problem is that isn't actually that good as an actual melee weapon - Can't nor should really build a crit nor status build with it and that limits it's usefulness, but the charge attack works wonders.

Really, it's the only weapon you need :P

Bonus: Depending on the mods you have, it does not even need a forma. I suppose it could use one, but for me, it works well without any.

I read the wikia and some threads from googling "warframe redeemer good", it has mixed views but it overall sounds pretty awesome. But it's kinda putting me off when I think about the procedure to acquire this weapon. Like farming 4 Neurodes to build the Vasto. Building a Dual Skana, waiting years for them to finish building, getting both to 30 and then build the Redeemer, all while waiting again for endless hours. But I'll work towards it and use it on it if I don't see any other options right now. Thanks man.

1 hour ago, Wopel said:

The main problem with that suggestion is they are using the only cata they have on a weapon that is only decent against one faction. Granted in two weeks they might get another (but they might not with exilus, reactor and maybe forma coming from the 24 hour alerts) , but the reality is they should probably put it on a more "general use" weapon if they are starting out.

The weapon I really want to suggest is the Ignis but they didn't mention if they were in a clan. I know it isn't "god tier" but it will serve them through the entirety of the start map and is just an amazing utility weapon. Anything you need a "better" weapon for, Exalted Blade it.

Thanks, that's my issue. I'm a new, inexperienced player and built an Orokin Catalyst from a blueprint I found somewhere and don't want to waste it on a weapon that I'll not use in the future. So I'm asking if there's possibly one, for me on my level obtainable, weapon that will be good for the entirety of the game, so that I can finish all remainable missions without struggling too much.

I'm not in any clan by the way.

Currently considering the Zhuge and the Redeemer but I'm more tending towards the Redeemer right now, so I'll do it if I don't see other alternatives. Thanks to all. 

Edited by yoKiDD
Added something.

10 minutes ago, yoKiDD said:

My problem is just that I struggle against enemies on my level right now.

The problem might lie on your weapon modding. I suggest using the base damage mod ranked as much as you can (serration, hornet strike, point blank, pressure point) and a maxed fire mod(fire is the most polivalent single element, use toxin if you really need a boost against corpus). It fits any max max rank weapon without potato nor forma while providing the most subtancial boost (~ x4) to your damage with the mod points. If you don't have those mods, look up where you can drop them in the wiki or ask someone to give them to you (in trade or region chat). Any long time player has a ridiculous amount of them piled up.

Edited by vazerd68
added toxin advice over fire

1 hour ago, Xekrin said:

I took a long time before I catalyzed my first weapon, like 2 months.  It was the synapse.  I don't recommend it, while a good weapon, it has limited range and requires mass forma and specific mods.

My suggestion would be to rank up to 30 and toss a few more weapons (those you know for sure you do not want to keep) so that you have free slots as you progress.  Once you hit rank 5, you can go the easy route and get the tonkor, definitely an end game weapon and worth a potato.

Most of weapons available to you right now with a few exceptions will have more powerful varients available (braton versus braton prime) and its my opinion that unless you have a lot of plat to spend, potato in the lesser versions isn't worth it.

p.s. don't get rid of dual ethers, you can not currently get them back if you regret your decision.

I never did those forma things before and will wait until later before I experiment with it. :P

I started this thread because I have a hard time progressing missions, but I'm kind of very picky when it comes to a lot of stuff, it's a bad habit and I don't think I'll get these Orokin stuff very often, so I want to put it in good use. Somebody recommended me the Redeemer and I guess I'll work towards getting it, as it seems pretty good and long-lived from what I've read.

What do you mean with I can't get the Dual Ethers back? I just looked at the market and the blueprint is still there, you might have switched something up.

Hek and Sonicor are both good suggestions - I can't recall where Sonicor comes from but Hek is just a purchase, fairly easily made and packs a wallop.  Sonicor...it's not that it does crap tons of damage, but the fact that it also serves as emergency CC when you're in trouble and out of energy.  Heck, I solo T3 and T4 towers with that combo.

I'd recommend putting a catalyst on anything that has a potential of putting out high damage. Some examples for someone of your mastery would be Vectis,  Boltor Prime, & Zhuge.

Of the stuff you have, put a catalyst on either the Braton, Karak, or Cernos. 

Edited by (XB1)BoricuaBeast91