Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Poll] Do you think Vauban still needs to be looked at?

Rahetalius

2 have some nice quality change but again as I seen in another post, 3 ability or 6 if you look at it that way are CCs, players in general will choose the best CC, end of story.

That doesn't mean the current Vauban is S#&$, that means the current Vauban has more toys when it comes to CC but the fact is that aside from players who is just having fun not taking everything seriously, no one would bother to spend more time with less efficient CC abilities. Simple as that.

They added more powers but they did nothing to fix his currently existing issues that are: 

1) Tesla is still not a useful ability. It needs a straight buff. More proc chance, more damage, more charges/duration etc. It's just not good. And adding three new abilities did nothing to change that. 

2) Adding three new abilities so we don't lose bounce is cool, but 50 energy is too high a cost for them. I'm not of the opinion that energy costs need to be ranked. Both Tesla and his Minelayer could cost 25 energy and I don't see it as unreasonable. Vauban does not have a lot of energy for a cast heavy frame, when you really think about it. Just the smallest amount he can get away with. 

3) Bastille trivializes content and takes no thought. There is also literally NOTHING else to the ability besides "throw it and they hang in stasis until duration ends"... that's it. No interaction, no thought, no skill. Bastille needs to be less about trivializing content while also gaining something at the same time. Which means what it really needs is a rework. I am sure this one will be hit eventually because they are hitting content trivializing powers, but it needs to gain something at the same time, not just get hit with more nerfs. 

4) Vortex doesn't feel like an ultimate, it feels like a utility and it often feels redundant or conflicting with his other powers. It needs more synergy and it needs to feel more separate from the usage of Bastille. On that note really everything in his kit is overshadowed by Bastille so yeah, he needs a lot more of a look still. 

All these shiny new powers... and there is still no point in doing anything but spamming Bastille or Repelling Bastille and tossing the occasional Vortex. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

1) Tesla is still not a useful ability. It needs a straight buff. More proc chance, more damage, more charges/duration etc. It's just not good. And adding three new abilities did nothing to change that. 

Yep.

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

3) Bastille trivializes content and takes no thought. There is also literally NOTHING else to the ability besides "throw it and they hang in stasis until duration ends"... that's it. No interaction, no thought, no skill. Bastille needs to be less about trivializing content while also gaining something at the same time. Which means what it really needs is a rework. I am sure this one will be hit eventually because they are hitting content trivializing powers, but it needs to gain something at the same time, not just get hit with more nerfs. 

This.  It's one of the weaker mass CC abilities but it can still disable all threat quite easily.

There are many others in the nerf queue first but a fix to Bastille would be making it a single cast only.

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

4) Vortex doesn't feel like an ultimate, it feels like a utility and it often feels redundant or conflicting with his other powers. It needs more synergy and it needs to feel more separate from the usage of Bastille. On that note really everything in his kit is overshadowed by Bastille so yeah, he needs a lot more of a look still. 

I really like Vortex but it's the basis of camping T4S.  DE changed it not so long ago that enemies occasionally fall out of it.  They need to increase that -- but that's also far down the nerf queue.

3 minutes ago, Fifield said:

Yep.

This.  It's one of the weaker mass CC abilities but it can still disable all threat quite easily.

There are many others in the nerf queue first but a fix to Bastille would be making it a single cast only.

I really like Vortex but it's the basis of camping T4S.  DE changed it not so long ago that enemies occasionally fall out of it.  They need to increase that -- but that's also far down the nerf queue.

That's an interesting thought, although I think you'd see a lot of Vauban's very angry about the idea of not being able to cast any of their balls as much as they want. I have a feeling they might go more with the Vortex route, a nerf route they have been doing for cc powers for quite some time. Enemies like Bursa's, Juggernauts and the like won't be affected, but they will likely have ancients and those nearby them either resist fully or partly, like how it works now for Vortex (as you mentioned). 

But I think Bastille needs something more. It just feels too simple. I love playing Vauban because he has so many cool powers and so much fun crowd control. Statistically he is my most used still, after all the other frames I have messed around with over the time I've played. But I can't deny that when I useful missions, the vast majority of the time it will be bastille and an occasional vortex. And it doesn't feel satisfying. It doesn't really feel like I'm doing ANYTHING. I feel like an extremely high maintenance blind mirage. I don't feel like I'm really involved or even playing the game. I feel like Bastille needs something more to it, it's missing something, but I'm just not sure what it is missing. I think part of it is that it doens't feel like a TRAP. They get caught in the air but that's it... doesn't really feel that impressive of a trap. Most traps "trap" you, but clever ones do something more, like the rest of his kit. 

I think an interesting way to make vortex less redundant and also make it less likely, despite the nerfs we've already had to it with the ancients, for people to use it for cheese/camping (something DE has expressed being against) is to make it less of a duration based cc skill, and make it more of a damage/quick loot gathering utilty. I would greatly decrease it's base duration so it wouldn't be much of a camping tool, increase it's range and damage and let it stack damage to some degree like Synoid Simulor orbs. With the increased range/damage stacking but greatly decreased duration, it could become a utility/gathering + actual damage tool. You could easily give it some nice synergies with bastille as well, which could still be the main bread and butter cc skill -- even if they did some nerf like ancients helping allies resist bastille, it would still be a really strong power. 

Agree 100%.

I suppose if you think out of the box, he shouldn't have a Bastille-like ability at all.  How many mass-CC abilities does a frame need?  The ability he should have had all along is the air support turrets, only ones that run off your rifle(?) mods.  Can you imagine how useful it would be to run a corrosive proc turret?  Or a cold proc one?

It's not too late to switch, hardly anyone uses the turrets atm.

Yea. They could use a look still.  I still feel Bastille and Vortex are essentially a different flavor of the same thing.  Perhaps bounce should be taken out entirely and replaced with Tesla, moved to the first ability and a new ability should be given like Landmines, an automated turret, a temporary companion that can ___, or something along those lines.  Perhaps even an ability that can compliment one of the others in some way.  

3 hours ago, Fifield said:

Agree 100%.

I suppose if you think out of the box, he shouldn't have a Bastille-like ability at all.  How many mass-CC abilities does a frame need?  The ability he should have had all along is the air support turrets, only ones that run off your rifle(?) mods.  Can you imagine how useful it would be to run a corrosive proc turret?  Or a cold proc one?

It's not too late to switch, hardly anyone uses the turrets atm.

Change rifle to primary weapon and you would have yourself a deal....to a point. The idea of a turrent that shoots damage equal to a souped up Torid or Dread/Paris Prime just has me drooling at the thought. Extra points if you can make the turrent stay where you want it or have the weapon it use match the type you have (use a sniper = it uses a sniper, launcher = launcher, bow = mini crossbow, etc.)