Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Taking four and five year olds to see Akira

Evanescent

So I babysit a whole brace of small kids on weekdays as an on and off job. A few days ago, I was nearly fired for showing them some clips from the new cap'n america film, because the kids love their Marvel, especially Cap and Iron Man. The grounds of my disciplining was that I was showing them inappropriate content.

Alright, maybe they are strict parent, I thought.

Yesterday, I got  call from them to occupy the kids for 3 hours or so and lo and behold I find them trumatised and having nightmares. Apparently their parents went to an Akira screening at a friend's house and took the four year old and five year old with them.

????

Spoiler

No real purpose behind the thread, just wanted to know what other people think.

29 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

So I babysit a whole brace of small kids on weekdays as an on and off job. A few days ago, I was nearly fired for showing them some clips from the new cap'n america film, because the kids love their Marvel, especially Cap and Iron Man. The grounds of my disciplining was that I was showing them inappropriate content.

Alright, maybe they are strict parent, I thought.

Yesterday, I got  call from them to occupy the kids for 3 hours or so and lo and behold I find them trumatised and having nightmares. Apparently their parents went to an Akira screening at a friend's house and took the four year old and five year old with them.

????

Hide contents

No real purpose behind the thread, just wanted to know what other people think.

That's a bit extreme reprimanding you for seeing clips of Captain America, something they could see on tv. Sounds like they are the type of "Do as I say and not as I do" parents? I babysit my nieces and nephews, and I was going to take them to see Angry Birds this weekend.

But what are you going to say to them if they wanted to watch the Walking Dead or play Warframe? Just kidding of course not. For games they can play Little big planet. Naturally I'd ask their parents first and they would even provide their own dvds to watch. 

Just now, (PS4)makrisbrik said:

That's a bit extreme reprimanding you for seeing clips of Captain America, something they could see on tv. Sounds like they are the type of "Do as I say and not as I do" parents? I babysit my nieces and nephews, and I was going to take them to see Angry Birds this weekend.

But what are you going to say to them if they wanted to watch the Walking Dead or play Warframe? Just kidding of course not. For games they can play Little big planet. Naturally I'd ask their parents first and they would even provide their own dvds to watch. 

I don't know, I just found it hypocritical on their part. 

Now I've half a mind to take these to the psychiatrist. They start crying everytime someone turns on the TV.

Just now, Evanescent said:

Now I've half a mind to take these to the psychiatrist. They start crying everytime someone turns on the TV.

Sounds that way.

Oh BOY!! Show them the exorcist where Linda Blair spins her head and vomits? And say that is traumatic - Akira not traumatic. Just to differentiate and put things in perspective, lol.

Ahhh childhood: Doom, Quake, UT, Serious Sam, Aliens, Predator, unsuspecting anime. Good times.

20 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Well they did just jump from what appears to be zero/minimal violence to bloody beatings and hideous mutations.

I'd say sneak in some comfort anime/cartoons with a mix of minimal and non-existent violence. Removing the violence completely after scaring them like that could cause other problems.

7 minutes ago, 321agemo said:

Should've made them watch the ring. Get them scarred for life at an early age.

"Why is the TV facing the open window?"

If they are the age I think they are then I'm sure they are only being paranoid since they were exposed to stuff like Evil Dead. Sure, corn syrup everywhere but it got rather gruesome. Now they must realize the change in times with children having been more coddled by both society and possibly themselves.

2 hours ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

If they are the age I think they are then I'm sure they are only being paranoid since they were exposed to stuff like Evil Dead. Sure, corn syrup everywhere but it got rather gruesome. Now they must realize the change in times with children having been more coddled by both society and possibly themselves.

Not sure if Happy Tree friends still airs or what, but it's better to start off from there. It's more kid-friendly.

On 6/1/2016 at 1:07 PM, Arcane_Intelligence said:

People should be really careful for showing anime to their children.

Not all of them are for kids, even if they look childish and cute at first...

When I was a kid (like 6 I think) over my aunt's house, my cousin came into the room in front of his mom (i don't know) and turned the channel from the cartoon we were watching to some hentai anime where a giant troll was steallling women from a village and licking them without clothes on....looked something like inuyasha, animation wise....

I will never understand exactly what was the ins and outs of that situation, like...why? 

I'm not scarred, I grew up to be a normally functioning adult...that I know of...eye twitches*

3 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

When I was a kid (like 6 I think) over my aunt's house, my cousin came into the room in front of his mom (i don't know) and turned the channel from the cartoon we were watching to some hentai anime where a giant troll was steallling women from a village and licking them without clothes on....looked something like inuyasha, animation wise....

I will never understand exactly what was the ins and outs of that situation, like...why? 

I'm not scarred, I grew up to be a normally functioning adult...that I know of...eye twitches*

Wondering what he had in mind when he did that...

Also his age during the "incident"...

Or maybe it wasn´t hentai, just really bad moment to switch to anime.

48 minutes ago, Arcane_Intelligence said:

Wondering what he had in mind when he did that...

Also his age during the "incident"...

Or maybe it wasn´t hentai, just really bad moment to switch to anime.

He was 20 ish...? 

I'm 22 now myself, it's been a long time...

I think it was a really bad moment. From what I can remember, it was an anime that looked like inuyasha, but I don't think it was...just tried to look around the web, don't recognize anything.