The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets discuss the nullifiers

GTX49

Going by how Lotus acts and responds in missions, it seems that she doesn't consider the Nullifiers much of a threat.  She doesn't announce them or give warnings like she does for some other enemy types. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction

12 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

Going on about the validity of Nullifiers in the lore is a bit sad, don't you think? Just because it isn't explained in the lore doesn't mean it breaks it. It's there, so there has to be a reason. We just don't have that reason yet. Use your imagination if you need a backstory for it, or ask DE for more comprehensive lore.

Didn't we just discover what a Tenno was a few months ago?

I mentioned those things awhile back, and it was ignored with extreme prejudice. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
edited

Can i play "the lore game" too?

In Void some corpus were exploring and puff, they find a "Nullifier pack" and "tenno secret energy resonance" file and

"how to make your own Nullifier" BP and of course "how to train your own Nullifier" quest.

I guess there is no much lore for them, but if we can search an answer, we will find some, or we will invent some. But the important thing is that, we'll know.

Edited by Kaiser_Suoh

6 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

That is the whole point about people saying there´s a lore hole.
Saying they could create lore about them doesn´t negate the fact that there´s no lore atm. In fact the need of creating lore about it is what i have said since they´ve been released...

And if they release lore about this tech they better watch out to give some very good explanations why it´s not mass produced for every corpus unit, robot, ship, isn´t armoured, and is mounted on a fragile foot soldier and why the Lotus didn´t wiped the Tech out yet and why such a Tech even exist in the context of Sentient. Maybe then it isn´t lore breaking any more.

I could easily provide you with some more 3-5 line fiction lore about it. 

Example:

The materials used in creating the Nullifier device are rare and expensive and being ruled by profit they are only deployed as the situation demands it. Coupling the technology with other designs proved to be troublesome however since the Nulli device tends to interfere with certain equipments and robotics. However depending on the threat level Corpus will deploy Nullifiers as part of a team. This played nicely into the hands of the Orokin neural sentries guarding the void towers who quickly adopted Nullifiers whenever possible and teamed them up with corrupted other forces like gunners and bombards to maximum effect and much tears among the Tenno.      

Puff more lore, I am no writer, but if I can can come up with some half way believable lore at the drop of a hat, I am pretty sure DE can as well if they wanted to.

No lore is not the problem here, some rather crap mechanics are. The damage threshold and number of hits thing for example. You could have a weapon capable of 1 hit kill a Fomorian, vs a Nullifier it would fail since its 1 billion points of damage would be regulated down and counted as 1 hit. Actually in their current form a Nullifier could be hit by a speed of light over 9000 metric tons comet delivering a ludicrous amount of damage but since it will be single damage hit his bubble will shrink by 12 % and the dude will smile, now that is the problem here, the stupid mechanics De added additionally to the nullifying powers to make the Nullies more of a nuisance!      

Edited by Hatzeputt

21 minutes ago, Hatzeputt said:

Example:

The materials used in creating the Nullifier device are rare and expensive and being ruled by profit they are only deployed as the situation demands it. Coupling the technology with other designs proved to be troublesome however since the Nulli device tends to interfere with certain equipments and robotics. However depending on the threat level Corpus will deploy Nullifiers as part of a team. This played nicely into the hands of the Orokin neural sentries guarding the void towers who quickly adopted Nullifiers whenever possible and teamed them up with corrupted other forces like gunners and bombards to maximum effect and much tears among the Tenno.      

Puff more lore, I am no writer, but if I can can come up with some half way believable lore at the drop of a hat, I am pretty sure DE can as well if they wanted to.

No lore is not the problem here, some rather crap mechanics are. The damage threshold and number of hits thing for example. You could have a weapon capable of 1 hit kill a Fomorian, vs a Nullifier it would fail since its 1 billion points of damage would be regulated down and counted as 1 hit. Actually in their current form a Nullifier could be hit by a speed of light over 9000 metric tons comet delivering a ludicrous amount of damage but since it will be single damage hit his bubble will shrink by 12 % and the dude will smile, now that is the problem here, the stupid mechanics De added additionally to the nullifying powers to make the Nullies more of a nuisance!      

Not talking about the bubble recharge time that trolls a sniper rifle user that could shoot to the bubble forever not beeing able to get rid of it

Three years into our expedition, and yet; we have found nothing. Our faces and bodies emaciated. I haven't eaten in days. This cave. This damned cave. Even the cursed Grineer clones would turn their noses away in disgust.

I want to cry. I want to end it all. Every time that I hear that terrifying squish of John gnawing into another crewman. I cannot bring myself to cannibalism. What have we become? This beast of a man is ten meters away from me. Eating my brother. My flesh and blood. Murdered in front of me and cut in half by only God knows what. I can still smell his blood. And for what? So Alad V can gather more of those wretched metal creatures? To hell with them all. To hell with me. Forgive me, dear brother.

As I turn to John, I hear him grunt. I've never heard this beast speak a word. My heart begins to race as I fear that I am next. Finally. Finally, it ends. I put forth no resistance. With one swipe of his Prova, I will finally be at peace.

in the distance, through the grim darkness, I see something. John has hoisted something onto his back. He screams. I try to run, but my legs have failed me. I just want it to end. Kill me. I cry out in agony.

A bright blue light flashes from his device, blinding me. As I squint, I see it. The damned wretched being. The huntress. Three years and I finally see what has ruined my life. It has no face. A damned robot. The crazed metallic being that has been stealing our precious resources. No one has seen it before. The hideous metallic frog with a bow in its hand. It sees me. As it draws its arrow, the bow mysteriously disappears. I hear the buzz of John's Prova. Blood splatters across my face. Two sickening thuds echo throughout the cave. One for each half.

John has avenged my brother. John has killed one of the orokin gods. The first ever to do so. He has stripped it of its weapons and identity. He has rendered it useless. We don't know how. We don't know why. John has won, and Alad will finally bring us home with a promised Lanka prototype. I cannot wait to swim in credits. John is a godslayer. Even my brother would be proud to be a part of him now.

Thank you, Johnathan Prodman. The Nullifier.

Edited by [DE]Taylor
removed profanity

50 minutes ago, (PS4)SupeBoss said:

Three years into our expedition, and yet; we have found nothing. Our faces and bodies emaciated. I haven't eaten in days. This cave. This damned cave. Even the cursed Grineer clones would turn their noses away in disgust.

I want to cry. I want to end it all. Every time that I hear that terrifying squish of John gnawing into another crewman. I cannot bring myself to cannibalism. What have we become? This beast of a man is ten meters away from me. Eating my brother. My flesh and blood. Murdered in front of me and cut in half by only God knows what. I can still smell his blood. And for what? So Alad V can gather more of those wretched metal creatures? To hell with them all. To hell with me. Forgive me, dear brother.

As I turn to John, I hear him grunt. I've never heard this beast speak a word. My heart begins to race as I fear that I am next. Finally. Finally, it ends. I put forth no resistance. With one swipe of his Prova, I will finally be at peace.

in the distance, through the grim darkness, I see something. John has hoisted something onto his back. He screams. I try to run, but my legs have failed me. I just want it to end. Kill me. I cry out in agony.

A bright blue light flashes from his device, blinding me. As I squint, I see it. The damned wretched being. The huntress. Three years and I finally see what has ruined my life. It has no face. A damned robot. The crazed metallic being that has been stealing our precious resources. No one has seen it before. The hideous metallic frog with a bow in its hand. It sees me. As it draws its arrow, the bow mysteriously disappears. I hear the buzz of John's Prova. Blood splatters across my face. Two sickening thuds echo throughout the cave. One for each half.

John has avenged my brother. John has killed one of the orokin gods. The first ever to do so. He has stripped it of its weapons and identity. He has rendered it useless. We don't know how. We don't know why. John has won, and Alad will finally bring us home with a promised Lanka prototype. I cannot wait to swim in credits. John is a godslayer. Even my brother would be proud to be a part of him now.

Thank you, Johnathan Prodman. The Nullifier.

This could easily be a simaris entry.It makes me wonder why they stopped making them. It can't be that hard to write snippets of lore can it?

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

This could easily be a simaris entry.It makes me wonder why they stopped making them. It can't be that hard to write snippets of lore can it?

You're right.  I wouldn't be surprised if DE used this and gave credit to the author, SupeBoss.  

7 hours ago, Hatzeputt said:

Example:

But your not DE also that still doesn't work...so, we wait...until DE gives us an explanation

7 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

Going on about the validity of Nullifiers in the lore is a bit sad, don't you think? Just because it isn't explained in the lore doesn't mean it breaks it. It's there, so there has to be a reason. We just don't have that reason yet. Use your imagination if you need a backstory for it, or ask DE for more comprehensive lore.

Didn't we just discover what a Tenno was a few months ago?

Yes asking questions about things that currently create lore holes and don't make sense is sad. Really?

@SenorClipClop

@Kaiser_Suoh

@Hatzeputt

@SupeBoss

You guys are very good in not understanding what people write.

It´s not about that you can think of an explanation, i said that multiple times now, it´s about that there´s none. It´s like talking with a wall right now. Please take your time and read.

The importance of the Tech in context with the Tenno and Lotus and it´s introduction into the game without delivering any explanations and lore about it creates a logical error, a lore breaker in the Tennoverse because it´s against the logic of how things are handled in this universe. That you can gave fantasy explanations doesn´t matter. It matters that DE takes action and do it.

I think they are able to understand what you are posting.  They could be having the same problem I am.  I'm having a hard time logically understanding why it matters in the context of this topic or in general.  Then add in that your definition of Lore-breaking doesn't seem to be the same as everyone else.  I say that meaning that so far only you have that definition while multiple others have a shared one that is different than yours.  In this particular instance, it seems that you are going against the norm.  

I hope I worded this in a way that isn't offending you.  That isn't my intent.  Only hoping to throw more light on the issue.  

Edited by DatDarkOne
grammar

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

In this particular instance, it seems that you are going against the norm.  

To be fair if you go back in the threads about this i´m not the only one i´m just the vocal one right now.^^

3 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I'm having a hard time logically understanding why it matters in the context of this topic or in general.

Because in my opinion, the Tech is so, so important for the Tennoverse. It directly attacks the foundation of the Tennos source of power. It´s a faux pax by DE to introduce something like this without any proper lore.

I wouldn´t have a problem if something like those guys have written would exist, at best in a proper event that would have introduced those Tech.

20 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I hope I worded this in a way that isn't offending you.  That isn't my intent.  Only hoping to throw more light on the issue.  

No biggie, we can only share our opinion about this and we all have different opinions. :)

9 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

The importance of the Tech in context with the Tenno and Lotus and it´s introduction into the game without delivering any explanations and lore about it creates a logical error, a lore breaker in the Tennoverse

What existing lore does Nullification contradict?

The point I'm trying to make is that just because we don't know how something works, doesn't make it a "lore breaker" or logical error. Nullifiers don't break any lore by lacking a scientific explanation. It's just that this specific part of the universe hasn't been explained in detail yet. This unexplained aspect of the game that is there nonetheless is what we refer to as 'mystery', as the unknown, and it doesn't break other lore by not having its own lore. A lack of explanation forces the Tenno to either imagine an explanation or just accept what is and continue dealing with the challenge presented. I mean, what do you want? It's a Nullifier. It nullifies.

There are many elements in Warframe that are unexplained (or were until recently):

• What is a Tenno? (answered in the Second Dream, but we played the game for nearly three years without knowing)
  • How do Warframe powers work? (also answered)
  • How can Warframes use living Infested organisms as weapons when Infested normally attack us? (still waiting on this one)
  • Why is the Void toxic to Sentients and not to other lifeforms?
  • How did the Orokin Empire die out? (We know the gist of this, but it's still pretty vague)
  • How does Baro find all this cool stuff in the Void?
  • If Tenno can survive in the vacuum of space with Archwing, why do we die without Life Support in Survival missions?
  • Who or what is the Stalker? Where did his Acolytes come from?
  • Who are the Grineer Queens and how do they control their Faction? (we'll probably get this answered by The War Within)

These questions and more, we can only guess at. The lore as we know it doesn't cover this stuff, it is all shrouded in mystery. Does that mean that our ability to use living Infested weapons is also lore-breaking? How? We can't argue that mention of the Grineer Queens controlling their soldiers is "lore breaking" just because we've never seen them and haven't been told how they do this. We didn't know what Tenno were until just recently, so was the first near-3 years of Warframe played completely in "logical error", simply because we didn't know yet? If DE released an item in the next update whose description included a story about the Corpus developing Nullifier technology, would this now validate Nullifers' existence because then we'd have the answer? There's no contradiction in lore here, merely gaps, mystery. Nowhere in the game does it say that the ability to Nullify Warframe powers hasn't been discovered or is impossible, so there's no contradiction in the Nullifiers' presence, just blank backstory. Clearly it's possible, since we're dealing with it in the game.

My gripe is with those on this thread who back up their Nullifier complaints with the "it's lore-breaking" argument, for I believe they're just using this as an excuse because they hate Nullifiers, not because it's a valid reason to remove them from the game. It isn't. Other stuff nullifies Warframe powers, and those aren't mentioned by these people. The Stalker can dispel our powers. So can Bursas. Much of the argument against Nullifers I see is arguing that it's ridiculous a Corpus soldier could have an anti-Void energy shield strapped to his back, but they don't question the Stalker's magical ability to dispel powers, or the Bursa's power to condense a Nullfier into a tiny ball that latches onto Tenno. These players are, I believe, complaining about a particular enemy they dislike and trying to back up their opinions with the fact that we don't know how Nullification works in-universe. Or maybe they just dislike not being able to use their powers (valid), and are trying to argue this by complaining we don't know how that works. It works because the game said so. And now we deal with it.

Warframe is a video game about magical ninja space robots in the distant future. Pretty much everything could just be explained with "it's technology" or "it's Void magic" anyway, and so I don't understand the hubbub about wanting Nullifiers gone due to them being at least a little mysterious. By that reasoning, there would be a lot less in the game.

PS: Another plausible theory behind Nullifier tech -- Alad V, in his dissecting and experimenting on Warframes during the Zanuka Project, discovered that Warframes draw power from the Void to grant themselves strange and magnificent abilities. In addition to engineering synthetic imitations for use in his Zanuka proxies, Alad V managed to reverse engineer what he found inside the broken Warframe husks and derive a special type of fusion reactor that detected and counteracted all Void energy within a small radius. He applied this reactor to a standard Corpus shield projector, and the Nullifier was born. The shield had the benefits of Alad's Void-quelling frequencies and the ability to sustain minor pysical damage, but sustained fire would prove to overload the reactor. Despite this, Nullifier technology was the first precautionary protection developed against the Tenno in many years, and Alad V made great profits from his innovation.

Edited by SenorClipClop

4 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

What existing lore does Nullification contradict?

13 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

the Tech is so, so important for the Tennoverse. It directly attacks the foundation of the Tennos source of power.

because it´s against the logic of how things are handled in this universe.

On 15.6.2016 at 9:22 PM, VoidNomade said:

Lotus already showed what she does when she thinks that there is a threat to the tenno multiple times. This tech is a risk and threat to the Tenno by a high margin. Thus Lotus would react. This is an undeniable truth and logic and against the realm of plausibility within the established lore. We also didn´t knew about how Tyl is making perfect clones and Manic Variants of all Strains but Lotus did knew it and we wiped out the research before they could have been mass produced for the battlefield.

The Stalker can dispel our powers. So can Bursas.

Bursa, Scrambus = Nullifier Tech

Stalker = using void power dispel to dispel void empowered buffs not denying all void energy usage, not mass produced, is already a high priority target

apple and oranges

PS:

14 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

That you can gave fantasy explanations doesn´t matter. It matters that DE takes action and do it.

I wouldn´t have a problem if something like those guys have written would exist, at best in a proper event that would have introduced those Tech.

5 hours ago, (PS4)SupeBoss said:

How no one understood that my lore was a gigantic piece of sarcasm is beyond me.
I've stated several times over that I hate nullifiers, and I also agree that they are lore-breaking

You give yourself too much credit. It's obvious that what you wrote was a joke and not an actual explanation of nullifier tech.

Edited by Hypernaut1

14 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

You guys are very good in not understanding what people write.

It´s not about that you can think of an explanation, i said that multiple times now, it´s about that there´s none. It´s like talking with a wall right now. Please take your time and read.

As far as I can tell, you are taking issue with the fact that there is no official explanation of how Nullifier technology came into being.

15 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

The importance of the Tech in context with the Tenno and Lotus

The fact that the Lotus does not react to the technology's existence in the same way she reacts to the Grustrag Three, the Prosecutors, or the Balor Fomorians clearly means that she does not consider them to be a major threat for the purposes of loreYou may see this technology as important, but the Lotus clearly doesn't.

Whether they are considered a threat in gameplay is irrelevant to lore. Otherwise, we'd have to also explain how level 200+ enemies exist (and at such massive quantities) and why the various factions don't simply field these units right off the bat since they clearly have a lot of them.

it´s introduction into the game without delivering any explanations and lore about it creates a logical error, a lore breaker in the Tennoverse because it´s against the logic of how things are handled in this universe.

The only way there could be a logical error with the lore (or lack thereof) of Nullifier technology would be if there were a contradiction with the existing lore. Non-existence of an explanation is not a contradiction.

That you can gave fantasy explanations doesn´t matter.

Actually, it does. The counterargument for the statement "an explanation cannot exist" is to provide an explanation that does not contradict the existing lore, thus proving that "an explanation can exist". We have provided such explanations.

As it stands, we have proven that there is no contradiction between the existence of Nullifier technology and the existing lore. You have yet to prove that there is a contradiction.

9 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

As far as I can tell, you are taking issue with the fact that there is no official explanation of how Nullifier technology came into being.

Plus the resulting problem within the lore.

10 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

The fact that the Lotus does not react to the technology's existence in the same way she reacts to the Grustrag Three, the Prosecutors, or the Balor Fomorians clearly means that she does not consider them to be a major threat for the purposes of lore.

Are the Grustrag three a major threat to existence of the Tenno? = No.

Are the Prosecutors a major threat to the existence of the Tenno? = No.

Were Balor Fomorians a major threat to the existence of the Tenno? = Yes, we had A GRAND EVENT and update to battle them by Lotus order and they cost us relays.

13 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

You may see this technology as important, but the Lotus clearly doesn't.

It´s important by logic and that she doesn´t see it as important is the problem i´m reciting mechanically since they were introduced

15 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

of Nullifier technology would be if there were a contradiction with the existing lore.

Lotus would kill those Tech by the logic of the lore thus it´s contradict with the existing lore.

17 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

You have yet to prove that there is a contradiction.

I have. Just because you doesn´t accept my arguments doesn´t mean they aren´t proven. We just don´t share the same opinion on this matter.

1 minute ago, VoidNomade said:

Are the Grustrag three a major threat to existence of the Tenno? = No.

Are the Prosecutors a major threat to the existence of the Tenno? = No.

Were Balor Fomorians a major threat to the existence of the Tenno? = Yes, we had A GRAND EVENT and update to battle them by Lotus order and they cost us relays.

According to the lore in this universe, all of these are a major threat to the existence of the Tenno.

The fact that some of them aren't a major threat in terms of gameplay is not a valid argument because lore and gameplay are completely separate. I like you completely ignored that section of my post.

3 minutes ago, VoidNomade said:

It´s important by logic and that she doesn´t see it as important is the problem i´m reciting mechanically since they were introduced

Lotus would kill those Tech by the logic of the lore thus it´s contradict with the existing lore.

The Lotus clearly does not care that the Corpus have access to Nullifier technology. The fact that she doesn't warn us of its presence and doesn't give us orders to sabotage its manufacture is a clear sign that Nullifiers are not as big of a threat to us as you want to make them out to be.

26 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

According to the lore in this universe, all of these are a major threat to the existence of the Tenno.

According to the lore the Guardsman are just very good Grineer Melee fighter nothing else. According to the Lore the Grustrag Three are just three Head Hunters, nothing more.

It strikes me that you try to compare such small fishes to a thing that attacks the fundamental of the Tennos power. It´s like comparing toys to guns. edit: or let me rephrase, comparing guns with nukes

The fact that some of them aren't a major threat in terms of gameplay is not a valid argument because lore and gameplay are completely separate. I like you completely ignored that section of my post.

53 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

Whether they are considered a threat in gameplay is irrelevant to lore.

Because it´s vice versa, the gameplay in this context isn´t as meaningfull as the logic and the results.

The Lotus clearly does not care that the Corpus have access to Nullifier technology. The fact that she doesn't warn us of its presence and doesn't give us orders to sabotage its manufacture is a clear sign that Nullifiers are not as big of a threat to us as you want to make them out to be.

Again again again, this IS the problem. This is the logical error.

edit: to use the nuke again, your enemy developed nukes on large scale and you don´t react a single bit, this is illogical

Edited by VoidNomade

2 hours ago, VoidNomade said:

edit: to use the nuke again, your enemy developed nukes on large scale and you don´t react a single bit, this is illogical

I have to say that this isn't exactly a valid point for the argument.  Knowing something and being able to do something about it are two different things.  I will go back to my SR-71 analogy.  The U.S.S.R knew the the spy plane was flying over them.  They just couldn't do anything about it.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  They couldn't shoot it down because it was too fast.  In this case, Lotus knows about the tech, but might not be able to do anything meaningful about it.  Or maybe it's as it seems, she's not concerned about it.

Just my 3 cents.  Carry on with the discussion gentlemen (or ladies. Don't want to be politically incorrect.)  :D 

Edited by DatDarkOne
spelling