Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Primary Staff Weapon thoughs

Lancars

So when they mentioned th idea of adding staff weapons that shoot stuff and they talked about stargate i honestly thought that was cool. But really they should be both optional a primary and melee. In the show they use them as ranged weapons and melee. So you'd get 2 weapons out of one when you get it. You can equip melee mods and primary mods and when you switch between primary and melee you do a small animation of flipping it around in place of the holster animation.

But again optional so you can just go with it as a primary or a melee. Its just if you have them both equipped they could have a passive of faster switching between them since it would technically be the same weapon.

DE seems to be reluctant to make new melee classes/stances as of late. I imagine a lot of people were expecting the Sydon to be the first true spear, but it just ended up using polearm stances. Then there's the Dark Split-sword, which doesn't have a unique stance of it's own and can only be switched in the arsenal rather than mid-mission. And while spears being laser primaries with an alt-fire is interesting, I still would've preferred to see them as actual melee weapons.

Granted I know that stances take time and effort to make, but I'd rather wait a bit longer for some truly unique stuff rather than have them arrive quickly but with recycled/underwhelming assets.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

29 minutes ago, Paradoxbomb said:

DE seems to be reluctant to make new melee classes/stances as of late. I imagine a lot of people were expecting the Sydon to be the first true spear, but it just ended up using polearm stances. Then there's the Dark Split-sword, which doesn't have a unique stance of it's own and can only be switched in the arsenal rather than mid-mission. And while spears being laser primaries with an alt-fire is interesting, I still would've preferred to see them as actual melee weapons.

Granted I know that stances take time and effort to make, but I'd rather wait a bit longer for some truly unique stuff rather than have them arrive quickly but with recycled/underwhelming assets.

Optimistic view: Maybe U19 is taking that much of their time?

Cynical view: Whatever they are doing better be worth it...

Ori staffspear (you can stab with those too), Jaffa Staff (more like quarterstaff once melee ensues), countless staffspears in fantasy that shoot all sorts of geometric forms and shapes and cut, stab and clobber.

Remember darksouls and those lighmning bolt-spears? YEAH THOSE TOO.

Have the Spear be a piercing weapon used with typtical spear moves (look at HERO for some epic spear fighting, Mountain vs Viper was not shabby either) that can use a charged-ranged attack of any awesome sort we could possibly come up with. Beam? Energy wave? (already have excal for that), explody blob of boom? Phantom copy of the spear crackling with tenno magick zooming straight into an enemy horde, impaling half the fukcers and then exploding? Yes. Please.

If you try to sell me a spear that swings like a greatsword and shoots a pdidly bullet at something you can get straight the fkc out of my sight with that.

Here, look at Star Trek online - they already got their shooty staffs.

https://youtu.be/7q7u-qQvfVM?t=8m24s

See that? They can even go up to dudes and whack the stick in their face.

True, there is no form of not totally laughable melee in STO, but they at least got the idea right.

Staff/Spear shoots stuff that is actually powerful and RELEVANT.

Now you have to add the cool space ninja and melee.

There is a metric ton of ways to make this sort of weapon fun and useful, noneof those include the words  "shoots a tiny, boring thing at things".

tl;dr:

Make staffspears cool. Make em useful. Do not go cheap on it, it won't sell.

2 hours ago, Lancars said:

@ReynoldsXD: I never played Dark Souls. I like to play games where i can have fun and getting my butt kicked over and over and over doesn't sound fun. :p

Uhm... the common answer would be "get gud" but the truth is:

I do not even play dark souls.

I quit that abject #@*&$@y back when i went down a stair and was surrounded by ever reviving hordes of skeletons. I had to read up on why the fkcers did not stay dead. Damn necros.

Never touched it again. Or any other souls game.

But thast lighning spear magick is an epic watch in any case.

12 minutes ago, ReynoldsXD said:

Uhm... the common answer would be "get gud" but the truth is:

I do not even play dark souls.

I quit that abject #@*&$@y back when i went down a stair and was surrounded by ever reviving hordes of skeletons. I had to read up on why the fkcers did not stay dead. Damn necros.

Never touched it again. Or any other souls game.

But thast lighning spear magick is an epic watch in any case.

Well i never played it since i had no interest in it when i learned its one of those games that punish you badly for small screw up. Also why i never played any call of duty any of those sorts cause it was just spray and pray. I watch videos of dark souls and i enjoy them but that's the extent. I rather have fun then sit there trying to test my "l33t ski11z"

3 minutes ago, Lancars said:

Well i never played it since i had no interest in it when i learned its one of those games that punish you badly for small screw up. Also why i never played any call of duty any of those sorts cause it was just spray and pray. I watch videos of dark souls and i enjoy them but that's the extent. I rather have fun then sit there trying to test my "l33t ski11z"

I suck at shooters. Because i cant aim.

Thats why i mirage the tonkor/staticor and love inaros melee rage. ^^