Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Story Behind Your Name

Chris9428

More obvious than obvious can be!

...ok maybe not so.

Literally I can not remember when I started using the name "Nobunaga"... I can narrow it down to somewhere around 20 years ago... but it's always been in my head. I later learned the origin of the name, the 15th century Japanese Warlord, the Fool of Owari, The Demon King, Oda Nobunaga... the man credited with uniting Japan (despite never getting to enjoy it). The man has become as much myth and legend as an accurate historical figure, becoming a popular icon or story character for the legends and myths that surrounded him and his actions which shaped his entire country for all of history...

From being the first Warlord to use Gunpowder to a terrifying effectiveness, bringing foreign influence and religion to the country, supposedly making a deal with infernal powers for immortality, power and leadership ability... perhaps the true man is lost now to a mix of fiction, history and speculation... but he was always a figure, inspiring, creating and destroying. In the end he was "supposedly" slain by a subordinate named Akechi Mitsuhide by literally burning the city Oda Nobunaga was in to the ground while he was stationed there... history is unclear why (different books, the wiki and legends all have different versions) he was betrayed, but the simple fact they weren't willing to risk engaging the man in combat spoke volumes. Some folklore say his body was never recovered, and Mitsuhide later died as a monk in the mountains under unclear circumstances, but never again was The Demon King, Oda Nobunaga seen.

I have literally been to the man's grave, to several of the castles he has built, visited the shrines to him across the country... but nothing in reality can compare to the man's portrayals in fiction... where he's been an alien, a demon, a hybrid of numerous things, countless anime, film and plays and more, or just a man obsessed with the underworld, darkness, being evil for the sake of the world's own good yada yada yada...

Since learning of the man's history, I used the name in earnest... however, upon coming to Warframe, the name Nobunaga was already taken... and I've been here for a year already. It's incredibly rare to have someone get the name Nobunaga before me, so I had to choose an alternate... and LordOda / Lord_Oda has always been a good fallback name for me.

Maybe one day I'll see if the name's available again. Lol

Edited by LordOda

Hmmm My Username, well when you write short stories you need to come up with a name and well I was think of what would fit a necromancer who really isn't in it for the dead but to figure out how to bring back his beloved from the great beyond?  Well with help of my beloved(thanks babe) I learned that Zero in Japanese(correct me if I'm wrong) is another way of saying Spirit so adding that with Light I came up with Zero No Hikari or Spirit Light which rolls off the tongue so easily I just have to use it now.

I'm fairly certain that Zero in japanese is just Zero.....0.

Rei is probably the word you're looking for

(But depending on kanji, Rei = zero)

Also, I had a better IGN but that somehow got taken (WHICH WAS A FIRST!)

I gotta admit, I thought of something pervy after this line.. :P

Didn't we all? ...*cough*

Started Ragnarok Online about 10 years back. Wanted to name a character that wasn't some rehash of someone else's, so... I sat down for thirty minutes, stared straight into a wall and then came an angel. She told me it was time.

"Time for what?", I asked.

"BEECH, YOO SLEEPIN! WAKE UP, FOO, YOU CALLED CALAYNE NAO!"

And then I woke up, and was a Calayne.

... I may have also maybe kinda possibly in some small way, been high on weed.

The Padre comes from the fact that I am a parent and my son and wife actually play this game with me.

I envy your son's childhood..

Smashed my face on keyboard several times, nothing fancy...

Seriously this is very creative. Might. Try. Soon.

I used to rolaplay with my brother as a kid and we came up with a name for our vilain = Dakuta.

After outgrowing playing with toys ( hello internet) , I wanted to give my avatars the name Deicide....but it didn't seem appropriate so I fused  it with dakuta = Deidaku ....Sounds way cooler XD

thats quite interesting. but why didnt you think deicide was appropriate?

I go by the name BoopysRevenge. The only reason is because I used to go by Boopy, but that name was often taken, so I was forced to take another name. Rather than get a new alias I decided that I should be out for vengeance. Boopy will have his revenge!

I played alot of World of Tanks, and there was a tank named the VK4502 Ausf. B.

I loved to play with that tank, it was a laid back dominator (if used right) and so I used the name for Warframe, since my normal username was too short. -__-

I got into this game knowing that the premise was space ninjas and that they were a race called Tenno(emperor) but nothing else.Inspired by shogun 2(just finished a campaign) took the name of the religion shinto, and added what I felt was a futuristic space version to the name and here I am.

Way back when I played WoW, I use the name randomizer for a character, and after finding one that I liked, and then after changing a few letters around, I came up with the name Aeridan, which is the name I then used (and still do use) for almost everything on the internet that requires a username.

Fast forward a bit to when I met some friends over the internet that I regularly chatted and played games with, they start calling me Aeri for short, and it stuck. And while I still go by Aeridan on most things, I usually just tell people that they can call me Aeri.

Fast forward even further to a more recent time. As it turns out, quite a few people on various sites have the username Aeridan, and for the most part Aeri is also unavailable. I needed a new name to start using in case this happens, so on a whim I come up with Aeri-os (pronounced Aerios (like Cheerios), not Aeri-OS (OS as in operating system)), and then that kind of became my go-to in case Aeridan or Aeri is taken.

And that's my somewhat hectic story of how I came about to go by a username that sounds like a cereal brand.