Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An option to disable prompt finishers

AlphaSierraMike

18 hours ago, Roboplus said:

Putting it on the context button is just going to get someone killed while you stealth/counter finish blinded enemies next to a downed player.

I don't think it's a good idea as a menu option either, as that just becomes something to forget to turn on or off, and/or a liability if one of your allies is a Savage Silence Banshee or a Radiant Finish Excalibur.

I feel the best option, though it would require more programing and UI time than the others, would be to have alt-fire or reload turn finishers on or off, with UI in the corner to indicate the current state, while a melee weapon is equipped. Then, have it save whatever state the option is in when you exit a mission, and load that state whenever you start a mission, so you don't have to keep changing it but still have the option to.

15 hours ago, Roboplus said:

How is the game supposed to know which to prioritize when the desired action could depend on anything from the frame/weapon you're using to the enemy you're up against or the tile you're in?

Context reload was supposed to be QoL improvement, instead it results in people dying or killing others by activating lasers. And you can't fault the function for priority because someone may have wanted to reload before rezing another, or activate a laser instead of reloading. It's the same problem here. If it doesn't function exactly the way you want it to every time, it won't get you killed, it will get someone else killed.

If they're going to spend development time on something like this, it needs to eliminate accidents, not just change them.

10 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

Revives should be > every other context action (this is currently problematic at ziplines.)  Making it context-sensitive by the reticle when there are multiple interactable things in range (aim at body to revive, aim at console to use, etc; could be toggled off in menu if you don't like it) could also work.  

Reload already has its own separate binding, and context reload can be disabled entirely in the menu.  I have context reloading turned on (not that I ever use it) and it has never interfered with anything else in my nearly 2000 hours of playtime.  I would like to see the supposed conflicts with context reloading reproduced and documented in video form before considering seriously it in this debate.

I think for Context Priority it should be user-configurable in settings.

Much like the option to Toggle Sprint/Crouch/Zoom

Have a Sub-menu in options that allows Priority placement of Context-use actions:

Holding Context-use should always over-ride to Revive Pick-up since without Quick-revive(Vazarin) you need to hold Context-use to perform full revive.

If I could prioritize:

1) Revives 

2)Reload

3)Consoles

4) Object Pick-up

5) Environment interaction (Zipline/Turrets/etc...)

6)Finishers

Let players reorganize their preferred Context-use priority.

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

16 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

Revives should be > every other context action (this is currently problematic at ziplines.)  Making it context-sensitive by the reticle when there are multiple interactable things in range (aim at body to revive, aim at console to use, etc; could be toggled off in menu if you don't like it) could also work.  

Reload already has its own separate binding, and context reload can be disabled entirely in the menu.  I have context reloading turned on (not that I ever use it) and it has never interfered with anything else in my nearly 2000 hours of playtime.  I would like to see the supposed conflicts with context reloading reproduced and documented in video form before considering seriously it in this debate.

The last time I turned Context Reload on was when they split aiming with alt-fire, because I ran out of buttons I could comfortably reach. So I changed reload to alt-fire.

In the subsequent 3 missions I started to reload instead of revive someone 4 times, resulting in 2 people dying. And turned on the Void Defense lasers twice while trying to reload, the second time resulting in 2 players being downed. I undid the control change and simply couldn't use weapons like Castanas or Penta until Black Friday when I could afford to buy a new mouse with extra buttons. It was literally so bad, I bought a new mouse because of it (way-the-hell more money than I'd normally spend on a mouse too).

But since I don't have video proof, and know better than to handicap myself and get people killed just to have it dismissed as intentional or an outlier, my testament holds about as much weight as your undocumented, unedited 2000 hours of gameplay where it was never an issue.

How about tapping the aim/block button while not executing a combo? There's no combo that requires the block button held during the first swing, you're invulnerable during the finisher animation anyway, and how often are you going to quickscope next to a blinded enemy?

12 hours ago, Roboplus said:

The last time I turned Context Reload on was when they split aiming with alt-fire, because I ran out of buttons I could comfortably reach. So I changed reload to alt-fire.

In the subsequent 3 missions I started to reload instead of revive someone 4 times, resulting in 2 people dying. And turned on the Void Defense lasers twice while trying to reload, the second time resulting in 2 players being downed. I undid the control change and simply couldn't use weapons like Castanas or Penta until Black Friday when I could afford to buy a new mouse with extra buttons. It was literally so bad, I bought a new mouse because of it (way-the-hell more money than I'd normally spend on a mouse too).

But since I don't have video proof, and know better than to handicap myself and get people killed just to have it dismissed as intentional or an outlier, my testament holds about as much weight as your undocumented, unedited 2000 hours of gameplay where it was never an issue.

How about tapping the aim/block button while not executing a combo? There's no combo that requires the block button held during the first swing, you're invulnerable during the finisher animation anyway, and how often are you going to quickscope next to a blinded enemy?

Perhaps this is a bizarre controller issue?  I've never used a controller to play Warframe so that might help to explain why I never encounter this issue?

On 30/06/2016 at 10:05 PM, Roboplus said:

Don't force us into melee mode to use finishers.

EDIT: just re-read it, aiming next to a blinded enemy will also cause problems. I still think that putting it on the use key and then giving us an option to pick our own priorities for what the use key does would be better.

Edited by DoomFruit

Add in options, use melee or context menu to perform finishers. Personally I do not foresee an issue of not being able to revive players or getting on zip lines but if someone IS having that problem they can keep it on melee use. There are times I want to use finishers (spy missions), and times I don't (spin attacking a horde only to get stuck in a finisher animation.