Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Britain has left the EU

Ibro156

Today the day where my country has shot itself in the foot. Majority just by 2% have decided to leave the UK. The value of the pound has drastically dropped to it lowest ever before by 15%. People are going to lose there jobs because of the businesses free movement they once had in the EU is no more. As it would be cheaper to be in the EU. Scotland is mostly likely going to have another voting to leave the UK and they strongly leave us. The only reason they remain the last time was because they wanted to be part of the EU. God to hope that David would active article 50 and make reciting happen.

Check out: http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_576cd7d6e4b0232d331dac8f?edition=uk

KMLgLsmDWIp0aRQQFiOC6Azg-_H_mXUO1vkI-dwP

Edited by Ibro156

6 hours ago, 321agemo said:

52-48. Remain lost by 4%. A second poll should really be considered, since the difference between the options is so small. It doesn't feel that decisive enough.

Don't think so. If it was the other way around I doubt there would be such calls and it doesn't make it any more valid. It wasn't a very minor 1% majority. 

Too early to say whether this was a bad decision. Feel it may be bad short term, good long run. 

Either way the op clearly focuses on the negatives as if there were no positives. I'm not a complete politic fanatic but the Eu to me seemed to be working out of its remit in various areas and becoming a secondary government. Some of the stuff it was looking into was ridiculous... Something about people not being able to sell homemade marmalade due to an Eu law? Very necessary. 

5 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

It's also making US stocks plummet, for whatever reason. 

Technically it's making all major stocks go down more or less significantly, in the end the City was one of the ganglia of the international financial market, and not just for show.

Tbh - besides the more obvious consequences and the fact that it's gonna be a really long process, so i'm not entirely sure when and how it'll go down - this was not a matter to leave in the hands of a referendum. The average of any country's population will have scarcely any idea of the implications and of the consequences, let alone for the actual situation beforehand - ie what it means to be inside the EU - which basically voids any basis for democracy in this kind of vote. Democratic voting has an actual worth only if all the parts are informed on the status quo and on the prospects of said vote...

2 hours ago, Arcane_Intelligence said:

There is much higher chance that I would get a girlfriend than UK leaving EU.

So basically nonexistent chance...

Prepare yourself then, cause it is happening...

On a side note, as sad as the Brexit is, it is hilarious to see 'leave-voters' back-paddle and/or realise what kind of a sh*tstorm they have created. I am sure that if they would hold a second referendum the result would be an undeniable 'in' to stay with the EU.

Isn't it a good thing that the UK's gotten out of the EU? Not only is a large proportion of the UK's natural resources being divided up among the other EU member states, but the amount of taxes/fees that the UK's paying for EU membership is staggeringly high.

Nevermind that you have countries like spain, italy, france which are in precarious financial straits, never mind the obvious case of greece. You also have significant amounts of european migration into the UK to take up low skilled jobs that would have otherwise gone to locals. 

While granted there are positives to remaining in the EU, the common market and lowered trade barriers. If i recall correctly, the sum total trade between the EU and the UK stands at around 13% of total trade. While at the same time there's a significant trade deficit going on between the UK and the EU and not in the UK's favour either.

That said, i understand one of the biggest issues with regard to the EU is how the member states are beholden to laws, which supersede national laws, being passed by the EU commision, a body of officials who were not democratically elected, while at the same time having no means of legally challenging these laws.

It all looks rather dangerous to me.

10 hours ago, 321agemo said:

52-48. Remain lost by 4%. A second poll should really be considered, since the difference between the options is so small. It doesn't feel that decisive enough.

Techniqually, there is going to be another. They going to have to activate article 50 which where the official voting is going to happen between the MPs. The one we had is the unofficial voting. There a second chance. 

Plus to add insult to injury. A guy called Nigel Frags lied about NHS figures. He said "it was mistake that we just found out today". Which is one main reason for many voters decided to leave. 

4 hours ago, Naith said:

Don't think so. If it was the other way around I doubt there would be such calls and it doesn't make it any more valid. It wasn't a very minor 1% majority. 

Too early to say whether this was a bad decision. Feel it may be bad short term, good long run. 

Either way the op clearly focuses on the negatives as if there were no positives. I'm not a complete politic fanatic but the Eu to me seemed to be working out of its remit in various areas and becoming a secondary government. Some of the stuff it was looking into was ridiculous... Something about people not being able to sell homemade marmalade due to an Eu law? Very necessary. 

True, am just freaking out a little bit. What annoys me one of the main reason of leaving EU for those who voted to leave is about immigration. Who knows, this might be good thing. But I feel like the risk is to great for the reward. The idea of united EU seemed great to mean. That was one step closer to united world but that's gone now. Plus the fact alot NHS workers are people from another country. One main reasons they hire people from other countries is because we don't have enough qualified or as qualified as the people from outside UK. I lot people think there stealing their jobs, I don't think. I think there basing it on who's more qualifies then rather if their British our not.

To be honest, I cant really understand why the decided to leave EU. Is to make Britain great again. If so, Scotland going to leave. So it's just going England and Wales. Is it for control over the boarders? If so, then over million UK residents live inside UE. Meaning there going to have buy new citizenship or get visa. Both are expensive. This might be good for us but damage can be reverted with article 50. Where MPs vote to decided what happens. 

Edited by Ibro156

1 minute ago, Ibro156 said:

Techniqually, there is going to be another. They going to have to activate article 50 which where the official voting is going to happen between the MPs. The one we had is the unofficial voting. There a second chance. 

Plus to add insult to injury. A guy called Nigel Frags lied about NHS figures. He said "it was mistake that we just found out today". Which is one main reason for many voters decided to leave. 

i really don't like the guy.

41 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

You mean Nigel Farage. AKA the crybaby when a Belgian became the President of the EU council. Ever since the day he publicly slandered Herman Van Rompuy at the council, I've lost respect for that giant prick. I don't like Van Rompuy either, but there are things you just simply cannot do especially in the council chamber

Major unprofessional piece of S#&$, he is.

Edited by SHIR0B0N

49 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

If they go against the majority, regardless of how miniscule, there will be an absolute S#&$storm. More than whatever tensions we have now. That would absolutely be the worst thing to do and defies democracy entirely. 

I don't even think a 'good' deal would be good anyways. It would satisfy for a little amount of time but would be a short term solution to a long term issue, funnily enough. People would still be fed up. In fact I'd say it would be insulting. We've pestered for a good deal with the Eu for years now, with stuff continuously rejected, so only now something good is offered? Shouldn't have to come to that. 

40 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

True, am just freaking out a little bit. What annoys me one of the main reason of leaving EU for those who voted to leave is about immigration. Who knows, this might be good thing. But I feel like the risk is to great for the reward. The idea of united EU seemed great to mean. That was one step closer to united world but that's gone now. Plus the fact alot NHS workers are people from another country. One main reasons they hire people from other countries is because we don't have enough qualified or as qualified as the people from outside UK. I lot people think there stealing their jobs, I don't think. I think there basing it on who's more qualifies then rather if their British our not.

To be honest, I cant really understand why the decided to leave EU. Is to make Britain great again. If so, Scotland going to leave. So it's just going England and Wales. Is it for control over the boarders? If so, then over million UK residents live inside UE. Meaning there going to have buy new citizenship or get visa. Both are expensive. This might be good for us but damage can be reverted with article 50. Where MPs vote to decided what happens. 

Eu was good in theory but as I said, it has become a second government. It shouldn't be introducing laws and whatnot which are mandatory for all. You can't go around giving blanket laws for very different countries and very diverse communities, especially if you're just going to dismiss their complaints. 

Eu was looking to take over the role of nato. Why? Nato works and it would certainly be more independent. We don't need the Eu to become something more. Eu was supposedly looking to dismantle armies and have one euro army. Why? Sure, might lessen aggression and increase deterrence but do we actually need it? No. We already group together against common threats. We already have our militaries communicate to a certain agree. We aren't exactly threatening war against other European nations either. It's all unnecessary. 

You already know my opinion on MPs ignoring the majority. That'd be a disgusting move. By the by, I've always felt the majority of the Scottish have wanted another referendum after the previous one as they didn't get the result they wanted. They were calling for another before all this ruckus anyways, now they just have more of a vessel to try and justify holding another. 

You can't keep holding votes until you get the result you want, it defeats the purpose. It's how votes work. 

@Naith Yah, your right. There's a reason why we voting here. Am just a little bit worried about this. The fact is we just got punched in the face and left with a bruise. This is massive risk we're taking. I don't think this smart move to do. For independence and freedom are good things but I can't ignore the fact that people are going to their jobs, Scotland's going to leave to join EU, maybe even Ireland. Big bank companies are moving away. Peoplethe 1.4mil people who live inside EU are going to have to apply for citizenship or get a visa. We have to renegotiate with EU countries. The tax is mostly likely going to be increased. We can't extradite criminals from the UK to EU or vis versa. The value of pound drop, meaning we have less bang for our buck. It's going to be more expensive for students to study abroad. I didnt see being part EU to be bad thing. Plus the fact, we never really participated properly in the EU either. UK had strong influence in the EU, they could have changed. To top it, I didn't see EU laws to be bad thing. They've seem reasonable, fair and it actually benefitted us quite alot.

The UK is going to rip itself apart, there's no saving that. London didn't vote the same way as Wales. There's a rift there now. 

A lot of international companies are going to move and shift away. Now, a Japanese company won't consider setting up a plant in Britain anymore if they're targeting the European market. They have to pay the tariffs, and Britain isn't the gateway to the English speaking Bloc anymore.

What's to stop industries choosing Germany over Britain now?

44 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

@Naith Yah, your right. There's a reason why we voting here. Am just a little bit worried about this. The fact is we just got punched in the face and left with a bruise. This is massive risk we're taking. I don't think this smart move to do. For independence and freedom are good things but I can't ignore the fact that people are going to their jobs, Scotland's going to leave to join EU, maybe even Ireland. Big bank companies are moving away. Peoplethe 1.4mil people who live inside EU are going to have to apply for citizenship or get a visa. We have to renegotiate with EU countries. The tax is mostly likely going to be increased. We can't extradite criminals from the UK to EU or vis versa. The value of pound drop, meaning we have less bang for our buck. It's going to be more expensive for students to study abroad. I didnt see being part EU to be bad thing. Plus the fact, we never really participated properly in the EU either. UK had strong influence in the EU, they could have changed. To top it, I didn't see EU laws to be bad thing. They've seem reasonable, fair and it actually benefitted us quite alot.

People can take their business away from the UK out of fear if they want, the process isn't going to be easy. Over time things will improve. I think it could be considered equally as bad that these businesses so heavily rely on the EU too. Other countries trade with each other, I don't see them needing an EU to cover that base.

Our influence was so strong that each time Cameron attempted to negotiate with the EU to tackle our domestic issues, it was shot down and rejected. It's not the first time, stuff just kept getting rejected. That has only frustrated the problems with the EU and how it operates. Our influence is/was false, empty and realistically (and unfortunately), held little weight. As for EU laws, one immediately comes to mind to counter your point about removing foreign criminals - human rights and those 'human rights' (regardless of whether they have completely disregarded someone elses rights with their own crimes) have allowed some of them to stay in this country.

35 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

The UK is going to rip itself apart, there's no saving that. London didn't vote the same way as Wales. There's a rift there now. 

A lot of international companies are going to move and shift away. Now, a Japanese company won't consider setting up a plant in Britain anymore if they're targeting the European market. They have to pay the tariffs, and Britain isn't the gateway to the English speaking Bloc anymore.

What's to stop industries choosing Germany over Britain now?

There was always going to be a rift.

People keep acting as if the leave result is the cause of the issues, it's not. The problem was always there and would most likely have been there if we were to remain. Heck, if Cameron's supposed 'deal' he had arranged (which wasn't confirmed I might add, the features could have been reduced post referendum) turned out to be a utter flop, there would be outrage. Maybe in a way there was always going to be a crunchpoint, this leave result just brought it to a head quicker.

Putting all of that aside something that is being ignored is this - ultimately the EU was the problem. What is going on here and elsewhere is just a symptom of their inability to reflect on why people are so disgruntled.

Edited by Naith

19 hours ago, Ibro156 said:

United world, oh God 

The Brits have to acknowledge that the EU is the LEAST of their problems.

Just a quick look at the poll's map and demographics makes one wonder what the hell kept this country going... The schism between the big cities and the rest of the country reminds me of the shia / sunni maps of the middle east.

And not just geographically ,but the cultural and generational differences are abysmal .

They can blame their problems on UE/Immigration until Kingdom Come , if the next government won't start to address these issues ans RE-Unite the UK ,they will lose themselves in irrelevance...

As for the rest of UE...meh,UK has been *@##$ing for forty years,despite the fact that it has been allowed to cherry pick it's EU status...

Some brits expect EU to crumble...I would argue that UK's departure is just what the doctor's ordered...All we have to do is turn on the news,watch UK swirling in the toilet and realize just how good we have it inside our cosy Union.

My bet is that UK will crawl back ,but this time will have to join Schengen and Euro....if still would be eligible to...The Greeks might veto them,fearing masses of  Velch migrants coming for their jobs.

But my absolute beef with them : this sh!t is so funny,I hardly played this weekend. From the 350mil ,Farage promised to the NHS, to the fact that the guy who started the 2nd Referendum petition is actually a Brexiter ,who had prepared the petition in anticipation of a Remain marginal victory...Edemol could not have made this more entertaining.

...too bad I live in London ,and I'm a migrant there. One of my friends is a bit more nervous by nature,and keeps mentioning ''Krystallnacht''...I say he needs to lay off the red bull and get some camomile tea. London and my Borough Brent voted massively for Remain..

Still,crazy thoughts creep up on me from time to time.

Edited by _Je_Suis_Charlie_

In damned 2016 there are still people who complain about immigration? Come on. 

Funny part about it is that every country in the World is just the result of mixed coltures and polulations. Britain for example: Celts who magically became citizens of the Roman Empire, Angles, Saxons, Normans and so on. Same for my country, Italy. 

That's how it works. 

About the referendum, that's it. In Italy we use to say 'you broke your own toy'. 

Today the problem isn't really about your referendum (that was consultative, correct me if I'm wrong), but the fact that EU leaders want a quick and complete separation now, no matter what. 

And that's obvious: in continental Europe there still are so called 'euro-sceptic' parties like Lega Nord in Italy (Movimento 5 Stelle too), Front National in France and so on. The fact is that, now, EU must show to everyone else that leaving the Union isn't worth and that there in no real future in Europe without us.

Considering I don't really like English attitude (note, English, not British) about Europe (who was sceptic about EU since the beginning), I don't think it will last forever. In Ukraine a civil war began to allow the country to join the EU area of influence and it has no sense to include eastern countries leaving UK behind. 

But, it will not be so easy. following what I read on italian and british newspapers, the great part of the younger population voted to remain in EU, but it's also true that less that 40% of them voted. And that's a problem, an european problem in general, young people who're not interested in politics and in their future. 

However, as I said, do not expect anything from EU. If there will be any separation, it will be ruthless. There will be no free movements or trades again, contrarily from what UKIP and Farage said. Of course there will be agreements between us (EU and UK, if there will still be an UK of course*), but nothing as it was before. I don't think EU leaders will follow the Switzerland example. 

As a strongly europeistic Italian, I have to say I'm really pissed off. I didn't expect anything like that from an European country like Britain. It's really unacceptable. I'm not happy about how EU is acting nowadays too, but there really was a need to destroy what we built togheter, instead of trying to improve it? Meh. 

At least, we're all Europeans, so just wait and try to build something new again. It will take time and a lot of efforts, but as we say in Italy 'the second time is always the best'. 

*Speaking of how northern Irish and Scottish people react and how new indipendence referenda seem to be near. 

Edited by Latronico

One of the scariest parts is that both sides based their campaigns on substantial lies and people didn't feel the need to do the research for themselves. What's even scarier is that the Leave side based their whole campaign on Immigration, fear and Xenophobia (with Farage practically being the poster boy of the campaign) and as soon as Boris Johnson held his first media speech he distanced himself so far from it it was ridiculous.  

Whatever the result of referendum were, whatever the future holds whether it good or bad, I'll get over it. What I won't get over is the fact that the Brexit has emboldened numerous racist and xenophobic members of society. That truly makes me fear for my future and my family's future.

Well, it's official. UK has gotten more poorer, less tolerant, losing its triple A credit rating, racist and homophobic. To top it off it also lost its Prime minister, shadow Counselor and Nigel Farage as well Boris are missing. Waiting for someone clean up mess they've made...

Even then UK has to make deal with EU.Which is of they want access to single marker they have to give freedom of movement as well. Which would completely go against Brexit's main reason. Aka the problem; "Immigrants". Which I don't see as problem. As it benefit everyone in enconamy wise. Obivously, in the short term it's a bit expensive but they do pay back