Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boar Prime vs Sobek

Alma_Elma

Question

With Boar Prime being thrown out of the vault on the 28th, I wanted to know which is would be the best crowd control shotgun.

I once considered the BoarP for this role, but the parts were too expensive at the time, and with Shattering Justice and Acid Shells recently being released; I decided to use the Sobek. So far, the Sobke's doing a neat job as a riot gun; Justice Proc insta kills stuns or outright kills the fodder mobs, while Acid Shells does the killing blow and melts the faces off heavier units surrounded by fodder.

I've used the non-primed Boar and it was just.....lacking, so I passed it over after testing. Is the Prime version a bit more different?

Edited by Alma_Elma

11 answers to this question

Its more then just a bit, it is a lot different.

Sobek was brought into the category of good to use weapons with Acid Shells, but it still doesn't do as much damage per hit as the Boar Prime.

The way I have the two built, where the Sobek can do alot of crowd control with the Justice proc, my I use my Boar Prime with three of the Elemental/Status mods, doing both Corrosive and Blast, and it can stun lock groups at range, plus has a faster reload time and larger magazine.

Boar Prime is also suited more for a run and gun style then the Sobek, which can make it a lot more fun to use.

in the Wikia, it says that Boar Prime's status is "higher fire rate with a lower damage per shot" that Boar because it was meant for full automatic shotgun...

for now, pick Vaykor Hek or Sancit Tigris is better,,, BUT, you should know that Sobek isn't strong enough when you brought it to a more higher level even though it's augments will help but it won't last long...

Stick with Sobek with it's 2 augments than Boar Prime, that's my suggestion... but, it's your call :)

34 minutes ago, Alma_Elma said:

I wanted to know which is would be the best crowd control shotgun.

Strun Wraith.
With 3 dual stat mods, you get 100% status.

Boar P comes in second, requiring 4 dual-stat mods.

Sobek's aug is flat, unaffected by the +status mods.

Due to how status works on shotguns, there's a huge difference between 99.9% (chance that a pellet will proc) and 100% (all pellets proc).
So: Strun W/Boar P if you want status, Sobek if you like its death-explosion mod. (This also depends, obviously, on what level enemies you're facing.)

Edited by Chroia

Boar Prime, being one of the few automatic shotguns (with the silliest firing sound in the game imo) I like to mod it for maximum fire-rate just to see the reactions of my squad mates. Sold it before I got it potatoed though, so I want to get it again so I can mod it fully viable with that sick fire-rate.

I do enjoy the Sobek from time to time, though I like the Vaykor Hek much better. To me, the Sobek is my weapon of choice for medium levels, as it shoots faster and longer than the Vaykor Hek, but can't quite deal the damage at high levels.

Best crowd control is making dead enemies. If one were inclined to use the explosive elemental combo and rely on knockdown (and keep in mind this is a fairly dodgy practice without group coordination), then the Boar Prime would have some advantages. As some have pointed out, the Strun Wraith is better at this...

The Sobek isn't going to hit 100% status. With both the syndicate and Rathuum mods, this gun makes dead enemies (up to a point--that point being around lvl60). It's also a rather good choice of primary for Saryn, since it helps spread the good news.

Personally, I use the BoarP when I want primary shotgun bling. I use the Sobek primarily when playing Saryn and have been using it on Trinity to chase around Simaris scans (mostly because she has a Day of the Dead themed arsenal going on, but they also tend to swarm and acid pumped explosions helps keep the vermin off).