Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Melee Weapon Concept - The Curaris

ObviousLee

Just now, Sintag said:

It'd be a monster to program and animate, but then again if they can pull this off, my wallet would be pulled out, and my money would joyously fly away.

lol i'm glad to see this level of enthusiasm. i'm planning on updating the main op later on this evening with some possible alterations for the stats to maybe tone is down a bit, as well as a revision to the ragdoll effect that might make it easier to code. feel free to check back then and post your thoughts on it if you would. feedback is always appreciated.

2 hours ago, ObviousLee said:

well, the charge hp damage could be set to 40%, lower the crit multiplier and chance, maybe even the status all together, drop some of the ips and attack speed. i'm planning on updating the op this evening with some alterations to the concept and maybe stat changes. mechanically, it's sound. difficult as S#&$ i imagine to code, but sound. i mean ffs we're getting a laser beam shooting trident that can be thrown. plus the arcata from lunaro as a melee weapon as well. 

as far as i'm concerned, the gloves are off if it can be made sane in concept and practical in application within the game. so like i said, stats can be altered.

also i'm not sure if i pointed this out in the op, i'll have to double check and insert it in the op, but i don't want the charge of the throw to be affected by warframe powers. meaning armor negation corrosive projection etc. i'm not sure if that would even be possible, but if so i think it would be a requirement for that mechanic to be popped in. honestly not sure. 

Update looks good so far. 

-Forty % should probably just be 50% since warframe and weapon mods will not affect the explosion upon throw.

-I think the explosion's radius, at least, should grow with either mods or warframe powers. That way even if you don't want it to instant-kill, it would still knockdown a large group of enemies as it scaled. When the mobs are down, the team can help wail on them, or you could employ Demora ground finishers on individual downed targets. So you still fight, and things don't die instantly. You just improve your own chances of survival.

-I don't think you touched the IPS stats, but would advise against it.

-Not sure about lowering the crit since you lowered the speed and the enemy HP to damage conversion. I'd leave the crit, but that's me.

-Have you considered letting warframe or weapon mods affect Demora while using it to hit other enemies? (Modding affects how hard Demora hits each enemy, just not the explosion at the end.)

-You should probably work on combos.

1 minute ago, Rhekemi said:

Update looks good so far. 

-Forty % should probably just be 50% since warframe and weapon mods will not affect the explosion upon throw.

-I think the explosion's radius, at least, should grow with either mods or warframe powers. That way even if you don't want it to instant-kill, it would still knockdown a large group of enemies as it scaled. When the mobs are down, the team can help wail on them, or you could employ Demora ground finishers on individual downed targets. So you still fight, and things don't die instantly. You just improve your own chances of survival.

-I don't think you touched the IPS stats, but would advise against it.

-Not sure about lowering the crit since you lowered the speed and the enemy HP to damage conversion. I'd leave the crit, but that's me.

-Have you considered letting warframe or weapon mods affect Demora while using it to hit other enemies? (Modding affects how hard Demora hits each enemy, just not the explosion at the end.)

-You should probably work on combos.

well stats are always debatable. hence why i wanted the focus on stats that the community could roughly agree would be solid ballpark figures for good placement within the melee weapon grouping, so i can always edit the OP to add an average of desired stats.

lowering the crit chance made a bit of sense due to 15% base is still bloodrush/berserker stack viable, just takes a bit more to get there. but since melee damage only really shines in the higher combo counter tiers you have a solid point.

as far as combos, damage multipliers, speed buffs and the like, i'd honestly need someone with more experience than i in that respect that would be willing to lend a hand(hue) in development.If it's going to be done, it should be done right, and sadly i'm not the person capable of doing it right lol.

Maybe have a grappling hook weapon that can hook an enemy. You attack by spinning it over your head, around you, and enemies get caught on it to be swung and thrown into others. That would also allow for a grapple move to pull you elsewhere, and work as both a grineer and an infested wep.

Just now, julianattack said:

Maybe have a grappling hook weapon that can hook an enemy. You attack by spinning it over your head, around you, and enemies get caught on it to be swung and thrown into others. That would also allow for a grapple move to pull you elsewhere, and work as both a grineer and an infested wep.

that sounds like an amazing idea, for another thread. i'd love to read it some time.

3 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

that sounds like an amazing idea, for another thread. i'd love to read it some time.

Thanks! I feel like the demora are a little too restrictive, still staying a little too close range, that's the main thing. 

42 minutes ago, julianattack said:

Thanks! I feel like the demora are a little too restrictive, still staying a little too close range, that's the main thing. 

i don't understand how it would be restrictive when the held enemy hitbox is comparable to galatine and war, with the added in feature of throwing nukes. i'm feeling like the usage of enemy hp bars as part of the ranged offense is being seriously underestimated.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:52 PM, ObviousLee said:

well stats are always debatable. hence why i wanted the focus on stats that the community could roughly agree would be solid ballpark figures for good placement within the melee weapon grouping, so i can always edit the OP to add an average of desired stats.

lowering the crit chance made a bit of sense due to 15% base is still bloodrush/berserker stack viable, just takes a bit more to get there. but since melee damage only really shines in the higher combo counter tiers you have a solid point.

as far as combos, damage multipliers, speed buffs and the like, i'd honestly need someone with more experience than i in that respect that would be willing to lend a hand(hue) in development.If it's going to be done, it should be done right, and sadly i'm not the person capable of doing it right lol.

Yeah, you can always track down a numbers person / someone for the nitty gritty. 

23 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Yeah, you can always track down a numbers person / someone for the nitty gritty. 

i've been reaching out, but so far i've yet to find someone with sufficient knowledge and time to assist me on the matter. all in all though i'm not giving up. if you had any type of combos in mind, based off of current stats/mechanics, what would you think would be fitting?

Great idea for a melee mechanic as a whole with "Grappling" on a melee alt-fire. Each melee could even have its own unique effects. Downside (for balance reasons) would be that your normal melee attacks are slower/harder to use while grappling (instead opting for an aimed "throw" with a charge or slide attack. Alt-fire again to simply release), but that could be subject to iteration/balance, along with how long you can maintain a grapple (which could probably even be modded to last longer).

• Whips and Whipblades (and potentially the thread topic, as a unique trait) could grapple from a distance.
  • Heavy Blades and Scythes could impale enemies to damage them slowly, but constantly while held.
  • Sword/Shield could have a normal hold, but you'd have a higher passive block resist from the front.
  • Dual Swords, Daggers, and Dual Daggers could perform a finisher on the grappled target.
  • Glaives could stick the glaive to the enemy with a throw attack and would explode on impact (similar to the thread topic's concept on throw).
  • Hammers could stun enemies for a few seconds with the release or throw attack.
  • Claws, Fists, and Sparring (including the thread topic) could change stance and "beat a mother****er with another mother****er".
  • Polearms could throw enemies extra far due to their reach. Arcata could also have this, but make the enemy bounce amusingly like a Lunaro.
  • Staffs and Nunchaku could grapple for twice as long due to the strong, two-handed hold.
  • One-Handed Swords, Katanas, and Machetes could guarantee a status-proc strike with the release and throw attack.
  • Gunblades could release or throw with a charge attack blast.

And as for the Exalted weapons:

• Hysteria could act like Claws, but also work faster and cause slash procs with every grab.
  • Exalted Blade could act like a One-Handed Sword, but also regain the 100% damage block from the front that it had in Stamina 1.0.
  • Primal Fury could act like a Staff, but the throw would be a half-energy cast of Iron Jab (similar to Exalted Blade's radial blind).
  • Artemis bow isn't melee. Nothing changes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just some ideas, feel free to criticize.

Generally, the Curaris looks good, mate. Introducing a grapple and throw system a larger pool of weapons sounds like a great idea.

As for combos, I might be able to help with those when I've got more time.

On 7/8/2016 at 10:28 AM, Rhekemi said:

Generally, the Curaris looks good, mate. Introducing a grapple and throw system a larger pool of weapons sounds like a great idea.

As for combos, I might be able to help with those when I've got more time.

that would be stellar. I've someone doing the concept art for it as she has the time for it, and as far as combos, the animations movements are locked in my head, but as far as combo buffs and damage multipliers yea thats where my knowledge peters out.

So any help in that regard would be awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...