Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Particles

koldcynic93

Question

11 answers to this question

You can see it predominantly in Infested missions.

The particles aren't really apparent with the other factions. It's there, but used sparingly. 

13 minutes ago, Plushy said:

Why did they get rid of the amazing physx in the first place?

Before someone comes in here and posts "It was the consoles",  or "It was AMD";  PhysX has a large performance impact compared to the introduced Flow particles from DE. For a F2P title, this is very important. DE can control the performance profile of their title far more than with Nvidia's solution. 

Additionally, PhysX is a closed box, it comes "as is" from Nvidia, and the devs can merely support it in their titles. DE can't iterate on them in any fashion. So from a development standpoint, PhysX is basically a dead end, it's up to Nvidia to update the software.

As someone who can run PhysX on a dedicated PhysX card, about all i miss is the collision from particles. Here's hoping DE can improve their solution to include GPU accelerated particles that interact with surrounding geometry. 

Edited by MillbrookWest

45 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Before someone comes in here and posts "It was the consoles",  or "It was AMD";  PhysX has a large performance impact compared to the introduced Flow particles from DE. For a F2P title, this is very important. DE can control the performance profile of their title far more than with Nvidia's solution. 

Additionally, PhysX is a closed box, it comes "as is" from Nvidia, and the devs can merely support it in their titles. DE can't iterate on them in any fashion. So from a development standpoint, PhysX is basically a dead end, it's up to Nvidia to update the software.

As someone who can run PhysX on a dedicated PhysX card, about all i miss is the collision from particles. Here's hoping DE can improve their solution to include GPU accelerated particles that interact with surrounding geometry. 

I could be wrong about this but I'm like 90% certain the game still supports PhysX for cloth physics it's just particles that have been toned down

An admin told me obviously the Physx were downgraded because it caused sometimes horrible performance problems and they decided to give some love to the toaster pc´s and the AMD users to kind of users can see particle effects, now the downgrade doesn´t mean that those particle effects never come back, the devs allways are researching for the latest graphics tecnologies to make the game looks beautiful and with a great performance , with the future implementation of Directx 12 those particles effects may comeback. the message is in Spanish but use google translator.

in resume the particle system Flow was implemented by performance problems and because the AMD users can´t see those amazing effects and I think the consoles users too.

Here is the message:

Hola mirx, 
Gracias por mensaje. 

Con relación a las partículas... se han bajado un poco por cuestiones de rendimiento. Nuestra meta es que nuestros jugadores tengan la mejor experiencia posible cuando jueguen a Warframe. Si tenemos que bajarle un poco a la cantidad de partículas en el juego lo haremos para que nuestros jugadores tengan una mejor experiencia y no tengan problemas de rendimiento o bloqueos de juego. 

Por favor ten en cuenta que Warframe seguirá avanzando y seguiremos mejorando nuestro juego. Le bajamos un poco a las partículas pero eso no significa que nunca retornaran. El equipo de desarrollo siempre está buscando diferentes maneras de hacer que nuestro juego tenga los últimos efectos visuales de gráficas. Con la introducción de DirectX12 de parte de Microsoft pueda que vengan varias cosas hermosas a nuestro juego. ;) 

Sobre el ambiente misterioso...

Todavía hay muchas cosas que no han sido contestadas. Y esperamos que con nuestra nueva actualización de The War Within(La guerra interior) los misterios y los temas de nuestro juego sean contestados. Si estabas hablando de los niveles en si que aparecían mucho más oscuros... pues eso ya es cuestión de gusto, creo. El nuevo sistema implementado en la actualización 18.5 ha mejorado muchísimo nuestro sistema rendir brillo/luces/oscuridad. 

Espero que esto haya contestado todas tus preguntas. 

Y espero que sigas disfrutando de Warframe. 

¡Saludos!

9 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

I could be wrong about this but I'm like 90% certain the game still supports PhysX for cloth physics it's just particles that have been toned down

DE's cloth physics are proprietary, meaning it was designed in-house by DE, Much like the Flow Particle system ;)

One of the benefits of doing things yourself is the control you have over the tech, one of the warframes (i think frost) has very detailed particle effects, his particles are little snowflakes. Little touches like this would be difficult to impossible with PhysX for the reason i said in my post above - Nvidia's gameworks tech is pretty much off-limits to devs.

Additionally, the next logical step for DE is to upgrade the Flow particle systems to allow GPU acceleration. Unreal, Cryengine, Unity, even Luminous Studio all support GPU compute for particle effects, and can do so arguably better than PhysX:

So in time, DE will probably have their own version of particle collision like back in the day.