Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Terrible performance since SOTR update

Ophiolith

(cross-posting here from Reddit - figured that this might be worth mentioning here)

My (admittedly somewhat modest - i3 2120, GTX 650Ti Boost, 12gb RAM) computer went from 60fps down to sub-20fps with the SOTR update, even though I'm not using any of the new anti-aliasing options. There doesn't seem to be any one culprit in terms of what's causing performance to tank so hard either. I disabled every effect and set all my render settings to low, and got back to about 50ish, and then turned effects back on one by one, and the drop in performance was pretty incremental.

Curiously though, I tried installing the update on my Macbook Pro with an Intel Iris chip, and didn't experience the same drop at all. Indeed with the same settings it's actually running faster, despite having a slower CPU and no dedicated GPU.

I totoally admire the huge amount of dedication DE have clearly put into this update, but still... what the heck!?!?

the usual. I´d say revert all graphics/performance to update 15 at least and we re good. Not a single good change towards performance since then. 2 years of fps butchering, one patch at a time. Good slogan.

Edited by andrer2926

10 minutes ago, andrer2926 said:

the usual. I´d say revert all graphics/performance to update 15 at least and we re good. Not a single good change towards performance since then. 2 years of fps butchering, one patch at a time. Good slogan.

Not meaning to contradict you here dude, but I've been playing the game for two years at least, and I've never seen DE put out an update that tanks framerates quite as bad as this one has for me.  I'm guessing this is likely a bug of some sort due to them implementing a slew of new graphical updates, rather than just the usual performance creep over time.

2 minutes ago, breaksequence said:

Not meaning to contradict you here dude, but I've been playing the game for two years at least, and I've never seen DE put out an update that tanks framerates quite as bad as this one has for me.  I'm guessing this is likely a bug of some sort due to them implementing a slew of new graphical updates, rather than just the usual performance creep over time.

sure, this was the worse in terms of performance ever, i thought 18 took the cake before i saw this.

20 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Sorry to hear this, breaksequence.

First, can you please try to "verify" and "optimize" your download cache via. the Launcher settings?

Hi Dmitri, I'm afraid this did not help.  Since posting, however, my performance has become erratic.  Occasionally the game will jump back up to 60fps or above, but there does not seem to be any consistency in when or where this happens.  I've tried running missions on several different tilesets, and it doesn't seem to be tied to anything like scene complexity, shaders or anything of the sort.

6 hours ago, breaksequence said:

Hi Dmitri, I'm afraid this did not help.  Since posting, however, my performance has become erratic.  Occasionally the game will jump back up to 60fps or above, but there does not seem to be any consistency in when or where this happens.  I've tried running missions on several different tilesets, and it doesn't seem to be tied to anything like scene complexity, shaders or anything of the sort.

Alright, can you please send us a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log? 
Info on how to find your EE.log can be found here.

Also, for the EE.log file you send us, could you please type something in chat around the time you experience these FPS drops? Typing something simple like "slowperf" could help us track down the issue.

Thanks.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

Just now, [DE]Dmitri said:

Alright, can you please send us a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log? 
Info on how to find both your EE.log can be found here.

Also, for the EE.log file you send us, could you please type something in chat around the time you experience these FPS drops? Typing something simple like "slowperf" could help us track down the issue.

Thanks.

Ahh dammit, you beat me to the post!  Just to mention I managed to find the cause of the issue - the launcher options menu will randomly deselect the 'fullscreen' option.  If anybody else is for some reason having random crazy FPS drops, I'd definitely advise you to check the launcher that you're definitely running in fullscreen, as that that totally caught me out.

Thanks!

After the update I've encountered about 2-3 crashes. One of the crashes was during Earth excavation as soon as excavator finished and prompted a reward window game froze then crashed.
Other two crashes happened in Derelict as soon as I tried to activate my Focus ability (Zenurik).

As for the preformance I got a couple of skipped frames (Tearing) while playing in the Void. But it was very brief.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an i7-6700k and a R9 390 Strix GPU. I had consistent 60FPS and now encounter drops too. At the moment I let the gamelauncher check everything tho. This is super weird, BTW I do not play fullscreen because of my monitorsetup which makes that quite complicated. I just wanted to mention that for now, seems important.

I also am encountering drops and have classically had 60 fps almost always. Honestly the numbers don't always even look low so much as the game starts to feel sluggish. One thing I'll make note of that I think DE should take a look at related to this: When I play SOLO, I don't have any problems (and I do this a lot) I can play for hours solo without fps issues, the second I join a public group one time, the fps starts to dip the rest of my session until I restart (whether I continue to solo or stay public). I imagine there's some kind of memory leak somewhere, and something that isn't related to playing alone

I'd also like to note that I run in borderless fullscreen, with dx10/11 on, also I've already recently optimized the cache and what not

Edited by Drex83