The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

FoV and Texture Glitch.

Losdrac

Hi,

I have a weird bug since the SotR update with FoV and textures. When objects are far away from me they aren't shown properly. When I aim at them they are back to normal.

Lockers from far away.

While aiming.

This affect everything, but it's especially visible on lockers, containers and doors. I play with max FoV and I've noticed that lowering the FoV option delay this and make this glitch appears from farther away.

Volt speed (which modify FoV) just mess up every single texture.

Before.

After.

And even walls.

Before.

After.

The same thing happens to me too. Not important, but it just makes lockers and things look so gross from far away. I was confused too, because there's no object distance option like there is in games like Fallout & Skyrim, so I don't know how to get them to be rendered properly from a distance.

Geometry detail essentially changes the distance at which the game uses lower quality objects.

Low geometry detail uses these lower quality ones at shorter distances while the "high" setting will use them less often and only when they are trully far away.

Altough i am pretty sure the distances you are displaying here are way to short for these lower quality models to appear, it may be a bug indeed

Edited by KIREEK

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one and that they seem to be aware of the problem.

I play with high Geometry Detail. Didn't change any settings since I changed my GPU 4 months ago (I have a Nvidia GTX 960 now).

3 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Without Volt I haven't noticed a difference, it's just normal Level of Detail scaling back with distance.

I agree that sometimes it's not that noticeable (like my first link in my first post) but when you know that they aren't rendered properly you start noticing them everywhere.

Some more screen-shot I took last time and didn't post.

Max FoV.

I've just reduced the FoV a little.

Sigh. I guess I'll just deal with it and wait till they fix it. Thanks anyway.

On 7/17/2016 at 3:45 AM, Losdrac said:

Hi,

I have a weird bug since the SotR update with FoV and textures. When objects are far away from me they aren't shown properly. When I aim at them they are back to normal.

That's not a bug, per se. That is by design, and all game engines do this. What you are seeing is the games Level of Detail (LOD).

The fugly textures are probably a mapping issue. I guess the game switched out the mesh, but not the texture associated with it. Meaning the coordinates get messed up.

I can only assume that with Warframe having a number of graphical improvements over the past few Updates, the team are trying to save performance anywhere they can. 

As for Volt, could be a bug. Could also be that the player moves at such a speed where swapping out high quality assets for low starts to become and issue, so it happens much sooner. When you increase the FOV, you increase the number of 'things' the game engine draws (because you see more either side of you), this could be attributing to it. 

That is just a guess on my part assuming it isn't a bug (with Volt, not the normal frames). If DE don't address it, then you have some semblance of an answer as to why it remains.

4 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

As for Volt, could be a bug.

Volt Speed doing this is definitely a bug. 
+ We found that many nearby meshes would also appear to have low LOD if you increased your FOV in the Display Settings.
Both of these should be fixed in the next update.

Please let us know if anyone still finds cases where nearby meshes are appearing with low level of detail.
Here is a good example:

On 7/16/2016 at 11:45 AM, Losdrac said:

Thanks everyone.

8 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Volt Speed doing this is definitely a bug. 
+ We found that many nearby meshes would also appear to have low LOD if you increased your FOV in the Display Settings.
Both of these should be fixed in the next update.

Good to hear that it was a bug and there is a fix incoming for it.