The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Dense Fog increased my graphics settings

Nyay

While playing the sortie today, the mission with the dense fog caused a stealth increased my graphics settings. On the settings UI, there was no change (I play at min settings), but in game, I had depth of field, fancy effects, and stealth looked like actual stealth instead of cobwebs stuck to my warframe. Sounds good? It was! Except for the part where my CPU temps rose to 90C. There's a reason why I play on min graphics, and it's because I can't afford a beast of a gaming machine. Please fix this - I can't afford to have the game play at max graphics.

If your increased graphical fidelity didn't actually cause lower framerates or general performance issues...

What is exactly is the problem? 90°C on CPU is a bit on the high end but still within actual operating parameters both for desktop and laptop CPU's. My laptop's CPU goes up to 90°C and GPU up to 85°C, that's normal. Remember, nearly all components, including the entire GPU chip, is soldered to the GPU card/laptop Motherboard using reflow soldering, which means it's submersed in 180°C+ Liquid metal for a few seconds. It's built to withstand that.

In any event, dusting off the heatsinks and airways (if laptop) would help bring it down a bit (which coincidentally I'm a bit overdue, but anyway), but this is no cause for alarm.

As for the actual core of the issue, yeah the game not respecting your selected graphics settings is most definitely a bug. Did the settings also stealth-revert back upon playing any other mission?

@Eudaimonium

My tiny little laptop has had overheating issues before (shuts down because temps get too high). It usually averages 60C-70C while running Warframe at min graphical settings. I clean out my laptop regularly, and I don't want to risk having my system overheat again. The graphics were back to normal on all other missions, which didn't have dense fog.

21 hours ago, Nyay said:

While playing the sortie today, the mission with the dense fog caused a stealth increased my graphics settings. On the settings UI, there was no change (I play at min settings), but in game, I had depth of field, fancy effects, and stealth looked like actual stealth instead of cobwebs stuck to my warframe. Sounds good? It was! Except for the part where my CPU temps rose to 90C. There's a reason why I play on min graphics, and it's because I can't afford a beast of a gaming machine. Please fix this - I can't afford to have the game play at max graphics.

Hi Nyay,

If you happen to come across a mission that you believe is doing this to your PC could you please submit a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log so that we can look at exactly which mission you loaded into? Info on how to find your EE.log can be found here.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Eudaimonium said:

If your increased graphical fidelity didn't actually cause lower framerates or general performance issues...

What is exactly is the problem? 90°C on CPU is a bit on the high end but still within actual operating parameters both for desktop and laptop CPU's. My laptop's CPU goes up to 90°C and GPU up to 85°C, that's normal. Remember, nearly all components, including the entire GPU chip, is soldered to the GPU card/laptop Motherboard using reflow soldering, which means it's submersed in 180°C+ Liquid metal for a few seconds. It's built to withstand that.

In any event, dusting off the heatsinks and airways (if laptop) would help bring it down a bit (which coincidentally I'm a bit overdue, but anyway), but this is no cause for alarm.

As for the actual core of the issue, yeah the game not respecting your selected graphics settings is most definitely a bug. Did the settings also stealth-revert back upon playing any other mission?

On my almost 6-year old low end laptop my idle temp is about 55°C-60°C, and about 60-75°C when doing mild work (not gaming, or rendering etc.). But maxes out on Warframe at 85°C (if Warframe is strangely using a high % of my cpu). It shuts down automatically at some temp between 90°C and 100°C so I always feels worried when it gets to 85°C and CPU is on 100% usage.
But thanks for the knowledge.

4 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi Nyay,

If you happen to come across a mission that you believe is doing this to your PC could you please submit a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log so that we can look at exactly which mission you loaded into? Info on how to find your EE.log can be found here.

Thanks.

Done.

Thanks! :)

17 hours ago, Eudaimonium said:

What is exactly is the problem? 90°C on CPU is a bit on the high end but still within actual operating parameters both for desktop and laptop CPU's. My laptop's CPU goes up to 90°C and GPU up to 85°C, that's normal.

temperatures that high start to cause throttling, and a few degrees higher gets into the emergency shutdown levels.

problem A causes a significant performance reduction until the overheating components start to cool back down a bit, and problem B means your computer instantly shuts off.

14 hours ago, taiiat said:

temperatures that high start to cause throttling, and a few degrees higher gets into the emergency shutdown levels.

problem A causes a significant performance reduction until the overheating components start to cool back down a bit, and problem B means your computer instantly shuts off.

That is true, I'm currently experiencing thermal throttling related performance issues, can't wait until I catch a free afternoon to dust off my laptop. Bit nervous about it too, Acer Nitro series aren't easy to take apart :( 

But anyway, thermal throttling is there for a reason - again, to make sure no harm comes to your hardware components, same as thermal shutdown. Easily solved via:

1) Lifting your laptop off the desktop surface a bit. Most laptops are designed too thin to allow normal airflow through the air intakes. Mine is, and it's supposed to be a "gamer laptop". Wouldn't believe it.

2) Dusting off your laptop. Matter of fact, most laptop manufacturers do not put warranty void seals across access needed to dust off the fans and airways - this is expected "maintenance" from the end user, actually. You have every right to perform such maintenance on your laptop configuration, the laptop cooling isn't built to last without regular maintenance.

IF, however, the problem is on a desktop PC, that relies on dusting off your components as well. Rule of thumb:

Laptop: Dust off every 3 months

Desktop: every 6 months.

If you have excessively "robust" build of any laptop/desktop configuration, then multiply those by 2.

47 minutes ago, Eudaimonium said:

Easily solved via: chronic Air Compressor usage

no, easily solved by having a good cooling solution in the first place.

Notebooks are SOL on that part for budget models, but Desktops setup correctly should never have any thermal problems.
i clean my filters maybe once a year. thermals are always the same regardless, i'm just doing it because it starts to look gross.

Throttling or Emergency shutdown is a problem not because it exists, but because you don't want it to happen, so you keep it from triggering. by keeping thermals down.

On 20.07.2016. at 0:02 AM, taiiat said:

no, easily solved by having a good cooling solution in the first place.

Notebooks are SOL on that part for budget models, but Desktops setup correctly should never have any thermal problems.
i clean my filters maybe once a year. thermals are always the same regardless, i'm just doing it because it starts to look gross.

Throttling or Emergency shutdown is a problem not because it exists, but because you don't want it to happen, so you keep it from triggering. by keeping thermals down.

True, notebooks are SOL on that part regardless of budget range.

And, really, true on all other accounts. My post was mostly focused on laptops. You apparently know your computer maintenance - therefore, you've probably been known "that guy who's good with computers" every once in a while, and therefore you are PROBABLY aware of other people's knowledge on computer maintenance (or, lack thereof to be more precise). So yeah that "desktops setup correctly" part is never a given :D

I've even seen desktops clogged with dust so hard that thermal throttling and shutdown occurs.

So all in all,

"Game caused my temps to go up" - no problem.

"High temps (doesn't matter what they're caused by) caused my computer to shut down" - problem

4 hours ago, Eudaimonium said:

every once in a while

more often than that, sometimes to an annoying extent...

and yes, people tend to not know how to own or operate electronics. which i guess is why it's so easy, even nowadays, to make a living because of that.

Edited by taiiat