Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Prime

Dub16

Question

Here is my current Orthos Prime build for general use and for Valkyr's Warcry (I have slight variations for Hysteria and Exalted Blade since Blood Rush/Body Count does not work with these abilities).  

http://imgur.com/a/z5cwW  

As you can see, I have invested 3 forma into it so far. I am debating whether to change the stance polarity to dash to match the Bleeding Willow pole arm stance or keep Shimmering Blight.

Also, you may notice that I only have one elemental mod equipped (Heat as a place holder, can be swapped out to best suit the faction I am fighting). If I use two elements instead, what mod would be removed? Primed/Pressure Point, Blood Rush/Body Count, and Berserker are practically required so none of those. That means it's basically between Primed/Reach, Organ Shatter, and Life Strike. Primed/Reach makes this already large weapon enormous, those bigger crits from Organ Shatter are really nice, and Life Strike is great for staying alive. It's a tough decision.

A lot of people on this thread don't seem to realize how much blood rush/ body count boosts crit chance you can make a red crit weapon out of just about anything.

While it's true in the old days you wanted at least a 15% crit chance to build crit weapons blood rush and Body Count changed the game.

2 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

Lol

2 minutes ago, Kenshin98 said:

lol

Do you know that uncontrollable laughter is a symptom of a mental disorder?

Obviously if someone's aiming at x4+ modifiers they intend to use melee primarily. Getting even x5 is nothing special in Survivals. In other mods, getting merely x3 modifier will outperform non Blood Rush build.

9 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

Do you know that uncontrollable laughter is a symptom of a mental disorder?

Obviously if someone's aiming at x4+ modifiers they intend to use melee primarily. Getting even x5 is nothing special in Survivals. In other mods, getting merely x3 modifier will outperform non Blood Rush build.

You need 10.935 consecutive hits to achieve a 5x multiplier, calling that nothing special puts your knowledge how do I put this into a certain light.....and to the rest of the argumentation of the must mod for crit crowd I only have to say this: Try Atterax if you want range + crits.

Edited by Numbsky1

1 minute ago, Epsik-kun said:

Yeah, I know quite a lot about doing prolonged Survivals. You?

Somehow I doubt that based on your "tips" how to mod stuff.... 

I bet you did not even know how many hits you need for 5x multiplier....

Edited by Numbsky1

As I stated in my original post, this is the build I use with Valkry's Warcry; so yes, consider this a melee heavy T4 equivalent survival run. 

I can indeed reach a 4.5X combo multiplier. With Warcry's increased attack speed on top of Berserker, I am able to reach 3k hits in approximately 15 minutes. This is long before enemies have reached a high enough level to worry about. After that, the high crit chance can easily carry me beyond an hour. 

1 minute ago, Numbsky1 said:

Somehow I doubt that based on your "tips" how to mod stuff.... 

That's because you don't know a thing about prolonged survivals, as simple as that. Going against enemies of level 300+ tweaks your priorities quite a bit.

Just now, Dub16 said:

As I stated in my original post, this is the build I use with Valkry's Warcry; so yes, consider this a melee heavy T4 equivalent survival run. 

I can indeed reach a 4.5X combo multiplier. With Warcry's increased attack speed on top of Berserker, I am able to reach 3k hits in approximately 15 minutes. This is long before enemies have reached a high enough level to worry about. After that, the high crit chance can easily carry me beyond an hour. 

4.5 is achievable, 5x is no easy feat anyone with the slightest knowledge of the game knows that, calling it easy just shows what kind of knowledge of the game people possess.   

3 minutes ago, Numbsky1 said:

I bet you did not even

I did not. I know it starts with 5 and goes x3 for every next step, but I never bothered to memorize the actual numbers. I do know, however, that reaching it isn't a problem, because I did so multiple times.

4 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

That's because you don't know a thing about prolonged survivals, as simple as that. Going against enemies of level 300+ tweaks your priorities quite a bit.

Ah and you melee those level 300 with your awesome crit build Orthos Prime. Sorry put your posting oozes of theory crafting and wishful thinking but hey keep on dreaming.  

Edited by Numbsky1

I don't really use bloodrush+body count on the orthos prime. There are other weapons out there that scale way better with this combo and it's more important to focus on what the orthos is good at.
It has great reach and a good base attack speed/ base damage. Maiming strike is better than bloodrush on it if you are sliding.
If you want to go for it anyway organ shatter would probably the mod to drop.

15% status also isn't that bad. Combine that with the high slash damage and you can get a lot of damage out of it.

I wouldn't change the stance polarity. You can try the other stance out yourself. I don't think it's actually better, so not really worth the forma to change the polarity.

1 minute ago, Numbsky1 said:

Ah and you melee those level 300 with your awesome crit build Orthos Prime. Sorry put your posting oozes of theory crafting and wishful thinking but hey keep on dreaming.  

Nah, I melee them with Ichors (but most often EBlade actually). However, if you want take Orthos Prime onto that ride, you'll need to build it the way I described. And you seem to be missing a point here - I ain't no theory craft here. If you don't know, never done and have zero experience in something doesn't mean it's the same for other people.

I agree there are weapons better suited for crit builds; Prisma Dual Cleavers and Dual Ichors are a couple of my favorite melee weapons in the game. That doesn't mean a crit Orthos P is not viable. I like to try new things and Orthos Prime's range seems like something I can take advantage of. Just because it is not the absolute best weapon doesn't mean it can't be fun. However, I would like to get the most out of Orthos P.

1 minute ago, gluih said:

They aren't, but you don't really have the mod slots to fit in both.

I wonder if I should rebuild my Raza, as I surely don't have enough slots to put Maiming and Blood Rush on it.

Spoiler

e5ufyOt.jpg

It's like saying you have no space for Pressure Points because you gotta put that Quickening on.

Just now, Epsik-kun said:

I wonder if I should rebuild my Raza, as I surely don't have enough slots to put Maiming and Blood Rush on it.

Reveal hidden contents

e5ufyOt.jpg

It's like saying you have no space for Pressure Points because you gotta put that Quickening on.

It's not the same as not using pressure point. Maiming strike and bloodrush are both there to increase your crit chance. On weapons with good crit stats like the dual raza you can already get the red crits easily without maiming strike.

How did you get your combo counter that high in the simulacrum?

10 minutes ago, gluih said:

It's not the same as not using pressure point.

It's even worse, to be honest. You won't be getting anywhere near this without that combo. Maiming Strike without Blood Rush is "meh". Maiming Strike with it is absurd. Also, Orthos Prime is objectively one of the best weapons for 99% of this game content simply because this combo exists.

12 minutes ago, gluih said:

How did you get your combo counter that high in the simulacrum?

I spawn 8 Corrupted Heavy Gunners and 12 Corrupted Ancient Healers. Then I jump onto gunners, hit them to trigger Naramon that keeps me alive during the whole process, wait until Ancients come close enough to trigger their aura and then stack the combo on protected Gunners. Unless you have some excessive slash procs, you will have no problems in getting to x4/x4.5

you just need 4 mods><>  maiming strike fever strike body count and pressure point.  once you are at 3.5 multi  you will be red critting in quick melee with this weapon add buzzkill if your frame is nekros.  shattering impact can replace both life strike and buzzkill and weeping wounds will trigger that status when you use your frames ability great with blind excaL

basically slide attacks for that one hit red crits kill and a, or slam attack + finisher makes this weapon lives up to its name as the long reigning king of melees.  efficient, fast, and shimmering blight stance for multi hits on each strike to speed the combo meter multi.

play around with and without some of the more popular builds suggested then try what I listed and make your own conclusion. you can use berserker or fury but its really not needed with this beast.

3 hours ago, Dub16 said:

Therefore, it will have almost 170% crit chance at 4.5X combo multiplier. That means constant crits and consistent red crits. There is no way raw elemental damage can keep up with this in high level play. 

Yeah, after three THOUSAND consecutive hits. I understand that some people actually find 2+ hour survival missions fun, but for everyone else there comes a point where practicality trumps raw numbers; it's faster to just take the elemental mods if there are fewer than 1,000 enemies

44 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

it's faster to just take the elemental mods if there are fewer than 1,000 enemies

You mean 45 enemies. Because 45 is the amount of hits required for Blood Rush build to start outperform pure damage build on Orthos Prime.

3 minutes ago, Epsik-kun said:

You mean 45 enemies. Because 45 is the amount of hits required for Blood Rush build to start outperform pure damage build on Orthos Prime.

Not by my math; at 2.5x combo, Blood Rush + Organ Shatter + 10% base crit only adds 190% more DPS. With just two mods, yes, 190 > 180, but OP is dropping THREE elemental mods (one for Berserker, which is infinitesimal up until 2.5x) which would be 270%. Add in elemental bonuses (Corrissive+Heat and Radiation+Toxic cover every single enemy in the game, so that's easy enough to switch between before going in) and Crit builds need even more hits to catch up