Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo player quetions

TemplarTeppo

Question

Greetings.  It's been a while since I last played Warframe.  I almost exclusively play solo as it is what I prefer.  However this game is exceedingly hard on many level at my current strength.  Other than increasing my warframes stats such as health and mana, what else does the community recommended I do to ensure I never or at least extremely rarely have to do groups?  Thank you!

16 answers to this question

As far as missions go Wukong, ivara,inaros, and chroma( with enough work) are the frames to go. However, as mentioned above you gain more loot with teamwork. I suggest finding a clan so you can coordinate and generally will lessen your chances greatly of playing with trolls

almost forgot, if you are a newer player use rhino

Edited by (PS4)bddacres

You can solo the main story and quests with the right frames and gear. But if you're looking to grind or farm you pretty much need a group for anything above level 30. I started as a solo player and finished everything, but when farming higher levels or intercept missions I found you pretty much need a squad.

Ah I see.  Thank you all.  Do these "pets" that I can get, help?  I should have added that the main reason I don't like groups is that for some reason, my internet connection goes out during groups.  It's as if groups is more of a strain on my wireless.  I don't know but it is infuriating.  This problem is with all mmo's that I play. 

Edited by TemplarTeppo

Some things will be nearly impossible, like the raids or things designed for groups including some events where special items are available. 

But you can do anything in the starmap solo, most alerts, even the new relic cracking is easy solo.   Interception might be too hard to do on high level maps without at least 1 helper.   The downside of cracking relics solo is less choices for loot, which is actually a huge deal.  Doesn't matter for the lith to get traces, but I wouldn't go cracking the ax'es solo.

As for doing it, the cheezy frames that can take a few hits without any damage (rhino, nezha, mesa) or stealth (ivara) or distract (atlas, sayrn, nyx, etc)  can cheese the tougher maps to death and make up for gear and skill with cheap tactics.    The cheap tactics let you gear up and hopefully you are skilling up as you go too, making it possible to solo in any frame after a while. 

It really helps to have a source of power too.  A digging dog,  focus power regen are good bets.   Don't be afraid to stand still for a min to get a full power bar before going into a room with 50 bad guys in it.    Opening lockers etc is also rewarding solo, master thief or a lockpicking pet can net you more loot, more heals, more power to give you that edge.  

Also don't be afraid to use consumables.   Ciphers to instahack when being shot, healing or ammo restores,  or specters can all give you that edge to win.  Scanning for sim, use a trap instead of trying to go at it toe to toe -- some of those scan guys are tough.

Trying to build to take hits won't work after a while.  Eventually the hard hitting enemy will start to overwhelm your durability.  You have to find a way to get hit less by moving or using cover etc.   Being durable helps survive the hits that land, but you can't take too many hits in a row -- not even the super high defense frames.   Mag can restore her shield while killing and still can't take standing in the middle of a room soaking damage.  

Big spammable aoes also work up to a point, but eventually enemy take 3 - 4 and more casts to kill.  At that point, you have issues again.

In the end, youll have to play smarter, better, be willing to use unsavory tactics, have more patience, and work harder to get to the same place you would if you just grouped sometimes.    I am right there with you .. I solo a lot because all the hosts net connections are so bad so much of the time ... but there are drawbacks and you may want to consider when to group and when not to, to maximize your chances to make progress.

Edited by jonnin

8 hours ago, TemplarTeppo said:

Greetings.  It's been a while since I last played Warframe.  I almost exclusively play solo as it is what I prefer.  However this game is exceedingly hard on many level at my current strength.  Other than increasing my warframes stats such as health and mana, what else does the community recommended I do to ensure I never or at least extremely rarely have to do groups?  Thank you!

Restore packs. Do a syndicate that offers the large health restore pack BP.. You can always switch later.

They are spammable and most are made of nanospores. You can bind the gear wheel slot they're equipped in to a key in the controls options to deploy multiple rapid fire. Health gives you basically an old school ARPG style potion bar. Shields give you overshields for a buffer before a boss, or to completely cheese a hijack mission. Energy lets you start missions with full use of your abilities, or use an ability at a moment when you really need it but are out of energy. Ammo for... well ammo because moar dakka.

5 tips I swear by that help me out a lot.

- there's no such thing as too many restores. I try to keep 100 Team Restores (because then I'm not switching between team and Non-team restores) on hand and build more once I get down to about 10 or less. you're doing more work, so you need more Energy. being with the Zenurik School helps out a lot as well, and you can be much more liberal with your powers without relying on enemy orb drops to sustain you.

- Specters. the AI on them might be dumb, but sometimes all you need is a meat shield to take some agro for you. as harsh as it may sounds, meat-shield status is how i think of most players, unless they prove themselves to be far better than just an agro sponge. anything you can use to divert enemy attention is extremely useful; Turrets, hacked MOA/Bursa units, decoy skills, syndicate allies.. the less rounds are coming at you the better.

- when you have a long-range option, use it. of course this won't work if you're going with a Shotgun Primary, or Melee only, but any Bullet gun in the Rifle or Pistol category can still hit out to an impressive range. learn to predict enemy movements and how to ease your point of aim onto smaller, distant targets. not only will you save yourself a lot of trouble by avoiding the risk of Close Quarters combat, it's an awesome feeling when you hear that headshot sound and see the enemy drop. Bows, snipers and Burst rifles are the easiest for this, but auto rifles and pistols can do it too.

- use the environment, know your surroundings. you have those parkour moves for a reason, and sometimes running in from the front isn't the only way, I've found that to especially be the case on Tilesets like the Moon, where there's multiple levels and flanking options for most rooms. try to get around and behind the enemy, try using the high ground, try clinging to the walls, try every alternative you can think of and practice doing it. lots of places have Vents and other secret areas that let you get the drop on enemies and force them into situations where you have the advantage, such as ambushing a Sniper Crewman up close where his rifle ain't worth squat.

- keep moving. even if you're using your best Ice Chroma or Inaros or whatever other tank frame, all Tenno have one thing in common; they are WAY faster than most other things on the battlefield, and that's your main advantage. don't think of Defenses like Iron Skin as your primary source of protection: they're not. they're just there to catch those few stray attacks you don't notice or can't react to quickly enough. even as my Rhino, I always keep moving, even with full Iron Skin. just like in real life, wearing a Bullet-proof vest is still less effective than not getting shot in the first palce, and if you don't want to get shot, you keep moving.

9 hours ago, TemplarTeppo said:

It's all about the mods.  Put pips into the main damage/multishot mods as first priority (appropriately for which weapon or abilities you use most) you will kill faster.  There's tons of info out there for how to build weapons, that gives you something to aim for long-term.

Did you get your corrupted mods yet? It can be nearly impossible to get them all solo, and you need a lot them to have good gear, so if you don't have them yet, you'll either have to find groups for it, or trade for them. Don't forget to scan the kavats in the derelict if you choose to farm the corrupted mods though, they're pretty helpful too.

Spoiler

Scanning a kavat has a chance to give you a genetic code, which will be used for incubating your own kavat.

Also, shields and health mods aren't everything. You have some frames that have low armor, shields, and health, but high energy (Trinity, Loki, Ivara, etc) so you're better off using Quick Thinking for them for durability. (I've even seen people using Quick Thinking on almost all of their frames)

Spoiler

Quick Thinking makes it so that when your HP reach 2, incoming damage won't kill you but drain your energy.

Edited by TheScytale

I'm almost exclusively solo. I play with my wife on occasion and help my clan mates out from time to time on their missions. Almost MR 10 now.

The only missions I struggle on are some high level stuff like interceptions (although I just used my freshly geared Nova on one last night solo and they just never had a chance, so now I'm wondering how far she can go.). I've also never done Sortie. It's also not very efficient to do fissures solo, but they are quite doable. 

So it's definitely possible to do most of the content Warframe offers. Fun is another relevant matter entirely. I have an absolute blast playing whether I'm alone or with someone. Other people get bored quick. That's a personal matter. 

I mostly solo myself.  Ivara is my frame of choice, and she works very well for solo play.  I only have problems in certain missions types (Interception, Excavation) as others have mentioned.  Depending on which warframes you have, even those mission types can be solo'd.  In the few times that I need to do missions that require a group, PuGs will generally work.  Some sorties missions can be solo'd easily with the right frame and patience.  

Even for a solo player, it's still a good idea to join a clan.  Having that extra support helps a lot for various things.  Also, trade chat can be your friend for some mods that are next to impossible to get solo.  

Go after the essential mods for guns and frames and max these mods. Choose some frames and weapons that you like to forma them and have at least a few of some weapons and frames at a good level. When you start to progress your frames and weapons you will notice over time that it will be easier and easier to go further.

Even if you play a lot solo or even only solo, join a clan and try to play sometimes with experienced players. They will help you a lot. 

On 7/30/2016 at 7:58 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

- keep moving. even if you're using your best Ice Chroma or Inaros or whatever other tank frame, all Tenno have one thing in common; they are WAY faster than most other things on the battlefield, and that's your main advantage. don't think of Defenses like Iron Skin as your primary source of protection: they're not. they're just there to catch those few stray attacks you don't notice or can't react to quickly enough. even as my Rhino, I always keep moving, even with full Iron Skin. just like in real life, wearing a Bullet-proof vest is still less effective than not getting shot in the first palce, and if you don't want to get shot, you keep moving.

This is the biggest keys to solo.  Even less tanky frames and the squishy casters are extremely hard to kill if you're moving too fast for them to be hit in the air enemy accuracy is much lower.  Never stop moving in warframe.

Reading through this thread there a lot of people that are pretty down on solo I primarily Solo in this game and exception of raids there's nothing you cannot solo.  Raids are the only thing this game it cannot be soloed due to the Dynamics of what you have to do and then all other events and missions are soloable.  

Many times in Warframe you're dealing with large groups of enemies there are lots of weapons there are good for dealing for large groups if you're by yourself the chaining weapons amprex/atmos explosives like tonkor/sonicor/staticor and melee weapons with large ranges orthos/tonbo/war etc.

Most of the other points I was going to put in others is already posted.  Lastly get second dream done as fast as possible zenurik is probably going to be your best bet in most cases (near limitless power)  Naramon can also make any frame you want nearly permanently invisible

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary