The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

30 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

the reasoning behind the umbra delay is a few things, and i cannot blame the devs

they are CONSTANTLY being bombarded with questions on it (lore and game wise) and on twitter/PM receive very verbally aggressive and colorful messages about it

it would be a put off to anyone and annoying. we have NO clear date for his release and were told he will be this year

the other things is, he may get a Cinematic reveal/lore like Saryn Prime and that would be worth it to me 

weve also got to think that they want to make UMBRAS special , not just reskins alt stats but something more 

so they are trying to develop more then just how to release just him, its a whole new line of warframes and lore that also need development 

While I agree with you on certain points, I'm afraid we differ on this Mako.

The colourful messages towards the Devs on Twitter only started a month ago. Before, everyone was happy to let DE go about their business but since the Devs had promised to talk more about Umbra in 2016, many people had expected it to be on the first Devstream of the year. When DE neglected to mention it for the first two, people got mad. Honestly I understand why they would be, I mean I threw a rant on this thread awhile back, but I don't condone their hate mail towards the Devs.

Waiting nine months for a sixty second clip featuring a tit bit of lore would be so underwhelming for the amount of time spent on this subject. 

Like I said before, Umbra never originally had any lore behind him and was only created because DE couldn't re-sell Excalibur Prime to the Chinese. The lore excuse can only pacify for a while. Nine months later, it kind of becomes clear as a stalling device.

I honestly don't see what the big issue is with telling us about what they plan on doing with him. No spoilers, just clear updates. Like "Yes he is going to be part of a major quest update." 

"Yes, he is going to be released before June. This is not a guess."

"Yes, we will show you footage of your version of Umbra."

All these tweets about him being 96% percent similar is starting to make me paranoid and it would frankly put a lot of people's anger at ease if we see the Devs use him within the coming Devstreams. Is it truly that hard?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

The colourful messages towards the Devs on Twitter only started a month ago. Before, everyone was happy to let DE go about their business but since the Devs had promised to talk more about Umbra in 2016

As a Twitter lurker, i can definitely say you are wrong. Those tweets did not just start a month ago. People have been sending salty tweets about it for longer than that.

3 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

As a Twitter lurker, i can definitely say you are wrong. Those tweets did not just start a month ago. People have been sending salty tweets about it for longer than that.

First time I heard about it was a month ago. I don't stalk Twitter so I wouldn't know. If they were hounding DE for longer than one month ago that is pretty pathetic. It's still pathetic now, but at least I can understand the reasoning behind it.

Just remember, DE decided to do it this way, they weren't forced into doing any cinematic anything for the release of Umbra, and also, remember the real reason people want Excalibur Umbra in the first place, as a fill to the hole left by the absence of Excalibur Prime. If it were any other frame they were starting with, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal, but because it's our opportunity to receive a near equivalent of something that some people on PC paid for a long time ago that never came back that's a big deal. Consolers never had the opportuntiy at Excalibur Prime when it first released there. This is a frame that less than 1% of the Warframe community as a whole own, so you can see the excitement behind not only having a Primey Excalibur comeback, but one that's both visually and statistically better, that's why were so hype.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

Just remember, DE decided to do it this way, they weren't forced into doing any cinematic anything for the release of Umbra, and also, remember the real reason people want Excalibur Umbra in the first place, as a fill to the hole left by the absence of Excalibur Prime. If it were any other frame they were starting with, it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal, but because it's our opportunity to receive a near equivalent of something that some people on PC paid for a long time ago that never came back that's a big deal. Consolers never had the opportuntiy at Excalibur Prime when it first released there. This is a frame that less than 1% of the Warframe community as a whole own, so you can see the excitement behind not only having a Primey Excalibur comeback, but one that's both visually and statistically better, that's why were so hype.

Everyone already knows this. It's just DE do not deliver clear information on this. Honestly at this point, most people would be really disappointed with a release similar to Saryn Prime after nine months of speculation and needless shady activity.

Right now it's either he gets a fully fledged quest of his own or he just gets released with no lore attached. Now the frustrating thing is that we have no idea if he is part of a quest because DE refuse to let us in on their plans for him. Look at my previous post. I'd be pretty satisfied if they did those things for the community.

they have given us one dev stream "blip" on umbra just to say "we have not yet worked on it" 

thats what is angering so many, and that its well past the 30 day with no new current info besides our discussion 

as youve said, either release it with no lore or anything or cinematic and quest 

but i feel now , that if umbra dosnt get a quest /cinematic, what with all the new stuff de has done so well in that area, it will disappoint many 

we all just need to remain calm, but i agree , we need as a group to do a poll

should DE give us a Umbra Update <- hey thats catchy

in the next dev stream to at least give us something. whats the logic or planning so far , what it will/wont have 

4 hours ago, P0TAT0CANN0N said:

Then they should stop beating around the bush and actually tell us what they are going to do with Umbra, when they are predicted to release it and, what kind of ways they think it will be obtained.

Nothing is an excuse for the lack of communication on their end. They have teased us with this damn thing for too long and I just want it done and over with.

They have said what they're going to do. DE has laid out their intentions with Umbra and it apparently isn't detailed enough for some. And I don't remember DE making a bunch of videos on their YouTube with Excalibur Umbra, Devstreams about it, etc. They have not teased us with Umbra. It was released to the Chinese market. The community spread it around. That's it. Once people saw it they started foaming at the mouth begging for Umbra in the global build.

1 hour ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

they have given us one dev stream "blip" on umbra just to say "we have not yet worked on it" 

thats what is angering so many, and that its well past the 30 day with no new current info besides our discussion 

as youve said, either release it with no lore or anything or cinematic and quest 

but i feel now , that if umbra dosnt get a quest /cinematic, what with all the new stuff de has done so well in that area, it will disappoint many 

we all just need to remain calm, but i agree , we need as a group to do a poll

should DE give us a Umbra Update <- hey thats catchy

in the next dev stream to at least give us something. whats the logic or planning so far , what it will/wont have 

They did give us an update. They already said they're not ready to talk about it/show anything about it yet but that they are planning things for Umbra to make it something special.

And yes. I agree the people who want Umbra so badly need to relax and stay calm.

1 hour ago, Kethos said:

They have said what they're going to do. DE has laid out their intentions with Umbra and it apparently isn't detailed enough for some. And I don't remember DE making a bunch of videos on their YouTube with Excalibur Umbra, Devstreams about it, etc. They have not teased us with Umbra. It was released to the Chinese market. The community spread it around. That's it. Once people saw it they started foaming at the mouth begging for Umbra in the global build.

They did give us an update. They already said they're not ready to talk about it/show anything about it yet but that they are planning things for Umbra to make it something special.

And yes. I agree the people who want Umbra so badly need to relax and stay calm.

There's no need of videos nor gameplay to tease something, giving vague info and saying stuff like "he will be 94% similar to chinese umbra prime" or "I guess about 2 months" when asked about a release date (which might not happen anytime soon) after 7 months of waiting (on that date) id enough to be taken as some kind of teasing

I guess patience is a foreign concept here. They've given us all the info they probably can. Hell they may still not know how they want to implement him or when so they aren't going to get everyone's hopes up with giving a time frame and then not being able to meet that. 

Excal Umbra will eventually come but for now play with your other excals and wait. They'll release info about his status as they can but probably have more pressing issues, new star chart, new damage, possibly updating how farming stances work, and consistently making new frames and events. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)BigCox23 said:

I guess patience is a foreign concept here. They've given us all the info they probably can. Hell they may still not know how they want to implement him or when so they aren't going to get everyone's hopes up with giving a time frame and then not being able to meet that. 

Excal Umbra will eventually come but for now play with your other excals and wait. They'll release info about his status as they can but probably have more pressing issues, new star chart, new damage, possibly updating how farming stances work, and consistently making new frames and events. 

Patience is a virtue correct. But after nine months of waiting, it's starts to run thin.

They have given us no solid info whatsoever. You believe that vague tweets and outright blips  count as solid information? Do honestly believe that after nine months they still don't know how to implement him? That's utter rubbish. 

They said Umbra was on top of their to-do list for 2016, but they seem to be desperately concentrating on anything but Umbra. Having a good ten minutes spent on him in the next Devstream would be enough for a lot of people. Why is everyone acting like it is such a hard request?

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

They said Umbra was on top of their to-do list for 2016, but they seem to be desperately concentrating on anything but Umbra. 

Where did they say it was on top of the list? I mean, I remember they said they decided to forget about Umbra in order to focus on the Second Dream, so one would assume that after being done with it the work on Umbra would begin(which I believe did, actually), but I might have missed the "top of the list" statement!

16 minutes ago, siralextraffo said:

Where did they say it was on top of the list? I mean, I remember they said they decided to forget about Umbra in order to focus on the Second Dream, so one would assume that after being done with it the work on Umbra would begin(which I believe did, actually), but I might have missed the "top of the list" statement!

They said they would concentrate a lot more on Umbra in early 2016 and they have not. It is one of their 2016 priorities. This has been going on far too long.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

They said they would concentrate a lot more on Umbra in early 2016 and they have not. It is one of their 2016 priorities. This has been going on far too long.

Well, I know it's hard to believe, but the fact that we don't know anything about Umbra release doesn't mean that they've not worked on him; plus, they're definitely working on a lot more than Umbra!

2 minutes ago, siralextraffo said:

Well, I know it's hard to believe, but the fact that we don't know anything about Umbra release doesn't mean that they've not worked on him; plus, they're definitely working on a lot more than Umbra!

Exactly my point; they are working on anything BUT Umbra. It is really frustrating. It's like they seem desperate to not touch him at all.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

Exactly my point; they are working on anything BUT Umbra. It is really frustrating. It's like they seem desperate to not touch him at all.

I meant that I'm pretty sure they're working on Umbra as well as on many other things, they just have nothing to share yet as for a lot of contents!

Umbra is more then a single frame, remember it is not just excal umbra they are trying to rationalize lore wise and develop a new system of implementation for

he is only the tip of the ice berg , granted he is special as an alternative excal upgrade we have all longed for, but there are OTHER umbras in development as well.

lets do a count off on things DE has been working on in public view 

-second dream

-new skins/delux :trinity,valkyr,loki, zephyr, banshee , oberon(secret), tenogenn, weapons, syandanas

-kavats: movement and behavior (not just cut and paste of kubrow mechanics , nice)

-mummy frame: new cinematic quest 

-saryn prime:  two cinematic lore trailers 

-4 newe warfarmes, 2 in cooker (1 was mummy)

-revamped boss fight / battle area and mechanics -kela

-mag/volt reworks

-moon spy and expansion 

-darksector rework

-new custom holster positions

and this is just whats on the surface and what they tell us, like how oberons delux was a "secret" 

they are probably working on it and developing ideas

have a little faith tenno , they do well by excal umbra 

Yep. They're doing loads of stuff, most of which looks pretty cool! They've also dropped hints that the Tenno Operators are going to have more to do in future, getting involved with the next quest. More animations, presumably more voice acting, should be good.

Like, I'm interested in Umbra, I think it's pretty cool...but I would throw money at my laptop if DE made several voice sets available for the Operators. I would make it rain all over the keyboard if one of those dialogue banks was all spess-samurai.

Then I would calm down, pick up all the money I was throwing around the place and simply use my credit card to gib DE some funds. 

I feel like people are getting overly hostile and antsy at this point. Do I want it bad? Yes, of course. Do I have a small amount of patience? Yes.

Still, people need to understand that Umbra is, as implied by them, a huge thing and will have some serious lore implications and whatnot. 

Along with this, as Mako said, they have more than a dozen equally important things to work on (although I don't recall them working on new frames. Just Mummy. And also, where was it said that Mummy-Frame gets his own Cine-Quest? Also, Second Dream, along with Valkyr, Trin, and Loki skins are all complete now). 

Either way, they are people too, and so need sleep, food, and time to relax, like the rest of us short-sighted creatures.

14 hours ago, -----LegioN----- said:

There's no need of videos nor gameplay to tease something, giving vague info and saying stuff like "he will be 94% similar to chinese umbra prime" or "I guess about 2 months" when asked about a release date (which might not happen anytime soon) after 7 months of waiting (on that date) id enough to be taken as some kind of teasing

Information from the Chinese Warframe community is not DE teasing us with Umbra. It just isn't.

The only reason DE has even said ANYTHING about Umbra is because people started asking question after we saw the release from China.

If they did this for Umbra and then said nothing I could understand being frustrated about it. But they haven't. My point isn't you're wrong or anything. My point is that DE has answered all they can/want to about Umbra. The followup to the Second Dream as well as the whole other bunch of stuff they're working on (I'm sure including Umbra) is just their priority for the time being. Until 18.5 and 19 drop, I'd be willing to bet we'll see more information about Umbra after 19. 

Edited by Kethos

20 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

(although I don't recall them working on new frames. Just Mummy. And also, where was it said that Mummy-Frame gets his own Cine-Quest? Also, Second Dream, along with Valkyr, Trin, and Loki skins are all complete now). 

4 new frames based on dev stream steve states

"we have four new frames, two are in the cooker" and after that mummy frame appears

recent dev stream, that he will have his own quest and possibly his own cinematic 

also they are developing the next big quest for this year, which will have executor ballas involved in some way 

-edit to OP

general cleanup 

19 minutes ago, Kethos said:

Information from the Chinese Warframe community is not DE teasing us with Umbra. It just isn't.

The only reason DE has even said ANYTHING about Umbra is because people started asking question after we saw the release from China.

If they did this for Umbra and then said nothing I could understand being frustrated about it. But they haven't.

So, you wanna start discussing semantics and other unrelated stuff?

I agree on videos being bigger teasers, but vague info is a teaser anyways. Not as big as a gameplay nor a trailer (like the PA teaser videos released the last week of waiting for the next PA) but giving small bits of info about him is still teasing about appearance, release dates or about whatever info they give without even showing any sign of progress.

Edited by -----LegioN-----
Typos

3 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

4 new frames based on dev stream steve states

"we have four new frames, two are in the cooker" and after that mummy frame appears

recent dev stream, that he will have his own quest and possibly his own cinematic 

also they are developing the next big quest for this year, which will have executor ballas involved in some way 

-edit to OP

general cleanup 

Ah ok, must have missed those stuff. I know that Ballas will be in our next major CineQuest this year (hopefully about what is in the WF).

8 hours ago, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

A Friendly reminder

I've been reading a whole lot of people lately saying that keep saying DE needs to "stop doing X and work on Y".

The problem is, this seems to stem from thinking of DE as a singular entity, like one lonely person, coding everything all by themselves.

It's not.

There are multiple teams of multiple people working on every facet of the game.

Lucy is a brilliant animator. She is not really able to code drop table algorithms.

Skree is a brilliant level designer. He is not really able to perform weapon debugging procedures.

There's an entire sound team that just makes audio effects for the game. None of them have expressed any computer literacy at all beyond mad dj sound remixing talent.

Megan isn't really able to design new multi-layered AI sub-routines.

Rebecca isn't really able to smooth out physics engine instabilities.

This is just a fistful of people out of the 100+ employees at DE, all of them who are highly unqualified to work on a myriad of projects.

Are they downright fantastic at their actual jobs? Yes!

Will having them "stop doing" whatever it is they were hired to do, and instead work on w/e the heck YOU think is much more valuable than what they do actually get any progress out of them? Not really.

Could they be fired, and replaced with new employees who DO exactly what you want? Well, yes, but that is the swiftest way to shatter company morale, so you'll still see far less progress.

So, ultimately, Is there any way, shape, or form, that "stop X to do Y instead" even remotely makes the teeniest tiniest bit of quasi-logic? Not in a trillion years.

Yet, people keep saying it. Please don't.

It makes you look dumb. It's at least a tad demoralizing to the people at DE that read the forums only to hear that, in your eyes, their job is totally worthless.

There's absolutely no positive outcome, at all, whatsoever, from you saying this, except for whatever tiny fractional ego boost you got out of typing it. Honestly, you don't deserve that ego boost, so that's really a negative outcome.

Funny enough, as you are an individual, rather than a massive collective of teams of people, you, personally, DO have the option of "stop X and do Y instead". So, stop being a jerk, and be helpful instead.

Thanks.

Resume: be patient

Edited by Kao-Snake
Combat Formation Bravo! ~ Never Forget

12 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

well a while back i gave a thought on him possibly being involved in the umbra development 

I am actually quite conflicted on this one. See, there's a tendency in fiction like Warframe (i.e. big, sprawling, mysterious narratives with multiple threads) for it all to tend to boil down to a very limited pool of actors. Effectively, a big sci fi epic, where all the moving parts were set in motion by fewer individuals than most people have fingers on one hand.

I think that tying Ballas into everything which is going on would contribute to that, limiting the number of initial actors/agents.

Thus far, Ballas is connected to the creation of the Sentients, he collaborated with their designer to bullrush their approval through the Council. He was the lover of Margulis, and if he is somehow still alive he will answer for her death. He designed Saryn, and presumably other Warframes.

Basically, I'd prefer to see a more mixed stable of ancient Orokin, a sense that their society wasn't just held together by a few mad geniuses.

Also, I agree with the statement above. DE aren't teasing people with Umbra. Folks are kinda doing that to themselves.