Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No Mans Sky

(PSN)zeratul____12

Disappointing. Outside of the vastness of the game, it just seems like a typical survival game but with space exploration. And while that aspect of exploration can be cool, the gameplay will just be as boring as those other games. If you like it, then great! But I wanted more from the game.

I feel like Erik Kain puts it best: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/08/10/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-no-mans-sky/#35d9613e739c

10 minutes ago, TheErebus. said:

Disappointing. Outside of the vastness of the game, it just seems like a typical survival game but with space exploration. And while that aspect of exploration can be cool, the gameplay will just be as boring as those other games. If you like it, then great! But I wanted more from the game.

I feel like Erik Kain puts it best: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/08/10/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-no-mans-sky/#35d9613e739c

I've been waiting for you to post that, finally!

I havnt gotten it yet, but from the looks of this thread, I see it may be disappointing.

Hype. Everything is getting so much hype nowadays and then disappointing and falling short of that hype when it is released...

It must be many times more exciting to make a game than it is to play...

Destiny...the Division...now No man's sky is probably in the same boat...

The last time a game lived up to its hype for me that I can remember was back in 2012, a master piece named "The last of us". Shadow of mordor is a honorable mention...maybe The evil within....and I never played the Witcher.

But not much lives up to the hype. #stopthehype

Reading the review, I think the game has achieved what it set out to do: to throw you into the vastness of space and make you realize your smallness. You will never 'finish' no man's sky, because there is no end, there is no limit to complete, and this game is not yours because you can never own it all, and you will never see all that it has to offer. It will exist with you and without you. You are alone because that is what it's like in the emptiness of space, to feel the void that exists between words and the warmth of where life blinks into existence. 

It tells you all this, really, on the cover: it's no man's sky. It is not yours to own, or yours to mold, just yours to borrow and yours to see, and yours to forget, finally.

23 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Reading the review, I think the game has achieved what it set out to do: to throw you into the vastness of space and make you realize your smallness. You will never 'finish' no man's sky, because there is no end, there is no limit to complete, and this game is not yours because you can never own it all, and you will never see all that it has to offer. It will exist with you and without you. You are alone because that is what it's like in the emptiness of space, to feel the void that exists between words and the warmth of where life blinks into existence. 

It tells you all this, really, on the cover: it's no man's sky. It is not yours to own, or yours to mold, just yours to borrow and yours to see, and yours to forget, finally.

While that's good and all, it's still a video game. And a video game that becomes boring within a short time span isn't a very good game.

Just now, TheErebus. said:

While that's good and all, it's still a video game. And a video game that becomes boring within a short time span isn't a very good game.

I suspect it targets a specific demographic that enjoys exploration. Playing with my dormies on our shared PS4 felt really fun, so we sunk a fair few hours in. In the end if you don't have fun, you won't play it, right? 

53 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

I havnt gotten it yet, but from the looks of this thread, I see it may be disappointing.

Hype. Everything is getting so much hype nowadays and then disappointing and falling short of that hype when it is released...

It must be many times more exciting to make a game than it is to play...

Destiny...the Division...now No man's sky is probably in the same boat...

The last time a game lived up to its hype for me that I can remember was back in 2012, a master piece named "The last of us". Shadow of mordor is a honorable mention...maybe The evil within....and I never played the Witcher.

But not much lives up to the hype. #stopthehype

Hyper's own fault.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

But the hyper is the one who writes the awesome review, hyping everyone up. The hypee is the one that sees that review and buys into the hype. So...still bungies fault, not mine.

Nay, it's still the hyper's fault in that example. Hyper's the one that raised expectations far from the original, before it's released. Get it? Reviewing the game before it's playable. That's how hype starts.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

Just now, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Nay, it's still the hyper's fault in that example. Hyper's the one that raised expectations far from the original, before it's released. Get it? Reviewing the game before it's playable.

Still bungies fault, specifically.

Tom clancys division wasn't all bad, I think people ran away to get with the hype. Fallout 4 wasn't that bad as well either...

I'm doing my best to keep your upvotes close to your post count, it's annoying it's always off by a few numbers...

3 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Still bungies fault, specifically.

Tom clancys division wasn't all bad, I think people ran away to get with the hype. Fallout 4 wasn't that bad as well either...

I'm doing my best to keep your upvotes close to your post count, it's annoying it's always off by a few numbers...

The Division wasn't all bad, true. It's mainly the players that made the game bad.

Fallout 4 wasn't bad as well either, true. It's mainly due to the lack of mods at launch (no s**t) that made people think the game was bad [it's like Skyrim, it's supposed to be modded to be good - that's how most sandbox games work].

Please don't up-vote for the sake of that, you're giving me the wrong impressions.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

Just now, RetiredEdgeLord said:

The Division wasn't all bad, true. It's mainly the players that made the game bad.

Fallout 4 wasn't bad as well either, true. It's mainly due to the lack of mods at launch (no s**t) that made people think the game was bad [it's like Skyrim, it's supposed to be modded to be good - that's how most sandbox games work].

Please don't, you're giving me the wrong impressions.

I know, but it's so close, like 2 upvotes.

*gets back in forums tomorrow and sees that edge has visited 35,000 other posts*

Welp...

2 hours ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Why cant you PC guys just be happy with what you have

3 hours ago, Evanescent said:

Exactly, this is a space exploration game so not everyone is gonna like it. This game is also somethinng competely new there has never been a game like this one, it also probably shattered the record for biggest game ever made.

6 hours ago, (PS4)zeratul____12 said:

Exactly, this is a space exploration game so not everyone is gonna like it. This game is also somethinng competely new there has never been a game like this one, it also probably shattered the record for biggest game ever made.

It's not new, Spore has done this before with the massive galaxy exploration. Although it was not on such a massive scale, this isn't something awe inspiringly new. 

Edited by TheErebus.

1 hour ago, TheErebus. said:

It's not new, Spore has done this before with the massive galaxy exploration. Although it was not on such a massive scale, this isn't something awe inspiringly new. 

Exactly my thoughts. It's pretty much why I describe No Man's Sky as "Spore with prettier paint" in my comment above.

54 minutes ago, (PS4)zeratul____12 said:

Other than visiting other planets what on earth does NMS have to Spore that makes it compareable?

Exploration. The one thing NMS does very well. But it also has trade routes with aliens, alliances, wars, genocidal wars against an entire race of aliens via atmospheric manipulation.