Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I miss closed beta melee

Cenat

That delay for preparation before a deadly strike is gone now. Now I feel like I am just swiping an imaginary stick around and killing enemies. I miss when each hit the melee weapon would payse for a split second, signifying the impact onto the enemy. Its like how Spino bit T Rex in Jurrasic Park 3. The bite doesn't look painful at all. Neither do weapons in Warframe. 

2 hours ago, Master-Nachash said:

Logic would dictate that if he was here for closed beta, yet his profile says he joined April 26th this year, that he made a new account.

No I did not. To clarify, I played on someone's account when I went over to his house to stay. A few months later I decided to create a Warframe account myself, but got caught up in exams and forgot about the game, and the email, since I never really did anything I decided to make a new account, Cenat. 

12 hours ago, Cenat said:

That delay for preparation before a deadly strike is gone now. Now I feel like I am just swiping an imaginary stick around and killing enemies. I miss when each hit the melee weapon would payse for a split second, signifying the impact onto the enemy. Its like how Spino bit T Rex in Jurrasic Park 3. The bite doesn't look painful at all. Neither do weapons in Warframe. 

I have to disagree.

The old melee system was far too clunky and basically devolved into one of two things:
Do a charge attack over and over again for permanent knock-down/stun and do nothing else!
Do a slam attack over and over again for permanent kock-down on all enemies around you and do nothing else!

Outside of those two moves the melee was pretty much nothing and was a vestigial system that barely worked.
Either you used those cheap shots over and over or you didn't melee as literally nothing else was worth the time.

10 hours ago, MadHatHacker said:

I joined in CBT and lost my login credentials. You'll see the same thing if you look at my profile. 

I pretty much never used melee before Melee 2.0 (other than the mandatory conclave Galatine), but I do miss Serrated Blade damage.

I don't miss that damage at all.
Damage which ignored 100% of armor (back when everything had armor at higher levels) is just utterly broken.
It lead to most weapons being utterly useless.
After all, whenever you saw a melee weapon you just asked "Does it do Serrated Blade, Forcefield or Physics Impact damage?  If it doesn't then its utter crap."

Because why would anyone ever use a melee weapon that din't have 100% armor ignoring damage?

This lead to the vast majority of melee weapons just being useless because they dealt the wrong kind of damage.
And its a little messed up with a weapon with 40 Serrated Blade damage can utterly destroy a weapon with 100 Blade Damage.

3 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

I have to disagree.

The old melee system was far too clunky and basically devolved into one of two things:
Do a charge attack over and over again for permanent knock-down/stun and do nothing else!
Do a slam attack over and over again for permanent kock-down on all enemies around you and do nothing else!

Outside of those two moves the melee was pretty much nothing and was a vestigial system that barely worked.
Either you used those cheap shots over and over or you didn't melee as literally nothing else was worth the time.

I don't miss that damage at all.
Damage which ignored 100% of armor (back when everything had armor at higher levels) is just utterly broken.
It lead to most weapons being utterly useless.
After all, whenever you saw a melee weapon you just asked "Does it do Serrated Blade, Forcefield or Physics Impact damage?  If it doesn't then its utter crap."

Because why would anyone ever use a melee weapon that din't have 100% armor ignoring damage?

This lead to the vast majority of melee weapons just being useless because they dealt the wrong kind of damage.
And its a little messed up with a weapon with 40 Serrated Blade damage can utterly destroy a weapon with 100 Blade Damage.

What I meant was that the old melee had that POW in each melee strike that now the melee 2.0 is too "smooth" to let weapons have that feel. 

I can`t judge or comment the old melee system but I can easily understand Cenat`s position. For this reason I find myself using Dakra alot lately because (should be its astethics foremost) the weapon feels like it has some weight behind. 

In general I stay away from "Fury" and "Berserker" if i feel like it is getting a bit silly for some weapons and everything turns into a blur of meaningless nothing I can`t comprehend. 

For that reason I was slightly excited when they talked about melee animations in the last Dev Stream and it seems to be on their radar? The important part was to remove melee animations tied to melee speed which leads to this somewhat unsatifying situation for a variety of melee weapons when they just feel off.

0.8 speed Ripkas are painful to watch and use, although its animations are dope. 

It would fix being clued in one place with slow/slower weapons. Melee combos wouldn`t break that easy anymore. Last but not least melees probably wouldn`t dictate my movement taking away control from my Warframe.  

Up on the priority list pls (or put it there) :o)

On 8/18/2016 at 5:29 PM, Cenat said:

I miss when each hit the melee weapon would payse for a split second, signifying the impact onto the enemy.

I wasn't here for the CBT (I joined in late U7), but was melee hit-drag a thing originally?

One of the things that has always bugged me about Warframe's melee system is that there's no sense of "impact" when you cut through something, and hit-drag is a subtle but key part in making melee strikes nice and satisfying in video games.

Edited by SortaRandom