Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Platform Play Between Steam/PC and PS4

(PSN)KawaiiLuve

Question

Hi! I've read everywhere that Warframe supports cross platform play and everything, but my friend (who plays using Steam) and I (I play using the PS4) can't seem to make it work. When we try to add each other as friends it says our usernames don't exist. Is there an issue on our part, or is this kind of cross platform play not possible?

12 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, (PS4)KawaiiLuve said:

Hi! I've read everywhere that Warframe supports cross platform play and everything, but my friend (who plays using Steam) and I (I play using the PS4) can't seem to make it work. When we try to add each other as friends it says our usernames don't exist. Is there an issue on our part, or is this kind of cross platform play not possible?

and xbox, and yeah it would be awseome  personnay im on c and me too a lot of my friends play on ps4,but they would need to sync the updates first

This is not a case because PC Master Race won't play with consoles!

Jokes aside, there's no crossplay between PC and consoles, primarly (as far as I'm aware) because of different builds. Porting and certification for consoles takes some time

12 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

This is not a case because PC Master Race won't play with consoles!

Jokes aside, there's no crossplay between PC and consoles, primarly (as far as I'm aware) because of different builds. Porting and certification for consoles takes some time

For DE the big issue is indeed the different builds. They don't want PC players to have to wait for Console players to catch up and PC is also the overall QA platform to get the worst of the bugs out of the way so the console teams only has to focus on platform specific bugs.

However, the bigger issues is legal stuff. Microsoft and Sony have never been able to get along well enough to sign the legal agreements that would allow for cross platform play. So even if the Devs didn't care about delaying PC players for the console players, the best we could ever hope for is XBox One/Windows 10 cross platform play since Microsft is updating the various Window 10 OSes to be able to do that. They're technically making W10 be able to play with any platform, but Sony and Nintendo would have to cooperate and that's unlikely.

Edited by Ceryk

6 hours ago, sonicboom769 said:

Wait wait your saying that xb1 and PC maybe able to cross play!?! Btw I'm seeing a lot of xb1 players recently

The reason that may be possible is because Windows 10 will be able to run on both.  So in theory, the XB1 could run the PC build of Warframe thru Windows 10 instead of the default XB1 version. 

Edited by DatDarkOne
bolded

On 22.08.2016 at 5:33 AM, Ceryk said:

For DE the big issue is indeed the different builds. They don't want PC players to have to wait for Console players to catch up and PC is also the overall QA platform to get the worst of the bugs out of the way so the console teams only has to focus on platform specific bugs.

However, the bigger issues is legal stuff. Microsoft and Sony have never been able to get along well enough to sign the legal agreements that would allow for cross platform play. So even if the Devs didn't care about delaying PC players for the console players, the best we could ever hope for is XBox One/Windows 10 cross platform play since Microsft is updating the various Window 10 OSes to be able to do that. They're technically making W10 be able to play with any platform, but Sony and Nintendo would have to cooperate and that's unlikely.

Unless I'm wrong Rocket League has crossplay so it is possible

1 hour ago, Slaviar said:

Unless I'm wrong Rocket League has crossplay so it is possible

I don't play that, but from what I understand from a quick search, it's only PS4 to PC. Not PS4 to XBox One. That's the real issue issue. PC is an open platform, so Microsoft can't stop someone from doing PC to PS if they want to. Square Enix did that with FF11 or something. It's connecting all 3 systems that's the issue because you're trying to get 2 closed systems and open system to connect. And since Microsoft is specifically developing Windows 10 platforms to play nice together easily, it's going to be more appealing to developers to connect Window 10 to XBox One.

16 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

I don't play that, but from what I understand from a quick search, it's only PS4 to PC. Not PS4 to XBox One. That's the real issue issue. PC is an open platform, so Microsoft can't stop someone from doing PC to PS if they want to. Square Enix did that with FF11 or something. It's connecting all 3 systems that's the issue because you're trying to get 2 closed systems and open system to connect. And since Microsoft is specifically developing Windows 10 platforms to play nice together easily, it's going to be more appealing to developers to connect Window 10 to XBox One.

I specifically meant PC and console. Sorry for not being clear. Because there will never be peace between Sony and Microsoft