Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Copy Warframe Colors?

F4talFr4me

Question

So i have Vauban Prime. standard Black and Gold (sexy as f***) but i try making my weapons the same by clicking "copy warframe colors" and it makes my weapons the same Black color.. nice... but it gives me a awefull yellow color and not "gold" like my warframe. im pretty sure there is "bland yellow" and "metalic yellow/gold" color in the pallets right? so why is my guns yellow not gold like my frame?

Also anything Archwing refuses to take a single color my Vauban Prime. no black no "yellow" no nothing. its rather sad as i wanted my whole weapons/archwing as black and gold like my Vauban Prime.

Please fix this and let me have that amazing gold/black look on all my stuff. D:

Edit: my Jat Kittag looks to be using the yellow as a metalic gold color.. but nothing else does? odd.

Edited by F4talFr4me
spelling

Uhm.

By reading your post i'm assuming the colour zone that inherit the metallic tint channel from your Vauban prime (which should be colour 3) are not metallic.

Sadly there is no fix for that. Either the model has the metallic render or it has not, which coloud you pick has absolutely no impact on that .-.

The one onAW definitely looks like a bug instead.

3 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

Uhm.

By reading your post i'm assuming the colour zone that inherit the metallic tint channel from your Vauban prime (which should be colour 3) are not metallic.

Sadly there is no fix for that. Either the model has the metallic render or it has not, which coloud you pick has absolutely no impact on that .-.

The one onAW definitely looks like a bug instead.

And they call this game "fashionframe" without having every color of the metalic rainbow?! i am shocked and appalled i say! :P

Lemme explain:

There's two kind of material formats:

• Blinn-Phonq: This is the old material system present in the game still. DE is trying to get all the items that use this system updated as soon as possible. Example: Ash, Nekros, Zephyr, Oberon.
  • PBR (Physical Based Rendering): The new material system DE introduced on Update 15 (Limbo/Nova Prime). This system allows for more realistic materials.

Now that you know this, PBR uses a handful of materials. Metals have some different values (roughness, etc) depending on the item, but Prime gold metal uses the same values across all the items. Now, the color is standard yellow, but applied to that metal, it looks like gold. Not all PBR metals behave like this, though, although some do a pretty good job at imitating it.

That's why the items will look like yellow on anything non-metallic.

6 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Lemme explain:

There's two kind of material formats:

• Blinn-Phonq: This is the old material system present in the game still. DE is trying to get all the items that use this system updated as soon as possible. Example: Ash, Nekros, Zephyr, Oberon.
  • PBR (Physical Based Rendering): The new material system DE introduced on Update 15 (Limbo/Nova Prime). This system allows for more realistic materials.

Now that you know this, PBR uses a handful of materials. Metals have some different values (roughness, etc) depending on the item, but Prime gold metal uses the same values across all the items. Now, the color is standard yellow, but applied to that metal, it looks like gold. Not all PBR metals behave like this, though, although some do a pretty good job at imitating it.

Ah thanks for the well informed explanation. seems i just gotta wait till they revert all the colors into this PBR format for my prime colors to work on other things then?

7 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

and that's exactly why we are still waiting for a 6th color option just for the metal parts so we can have the shiny gold without ugly yellow spots on our frames and weapons

3 minutes ago, F4talFr4me said:

Ah thanks for the well informed explanation. seems i just gotta wait till they revert all the colors into this PBR format for my prime colors to work on other things then?

No, you can't color anything that isn't metallic as metal. The materials are tied to the item, not the pallettes, which are simply hexadecimal RGB values "converted" to the game's format :)

2 minutes ago, Weidro said:

and that's exactly why we are still waiting for a 6th color option just for the metal parts so we can have the shiny gold without ugly yellow spots on our frames and weapons

Tint 4 is only used for metals AFAIK... What...?

Edited by NightmareT12

Just now, NightmareT12 said:

No, you can't color anything that isn't metallic as metal. The materials are tied to the item, not the pallettes, which are simply hexadecimal RGB values "converted" to the game's format :)

Well in real life you can paint anything in a metalic color and it will instantly look metalic.. shouldent base that actual meterial on what the color is used on as a base to what the outcome will be like. if i say "copy warframe colors" it should be EXACTLY what i "copy". this current system is lieing. it dident "copy" it.

Thats pretty sad and lazy tbh.. im sad now.. never get my stuff as black and gold.

Just now, F4talFr4me said:

Well in real life you can paint anything in a metalic color and it will instantly look metalic.. shouldent base that actual meterial on what the color is used on as a base to what the outcome will be like. if i say "copy warframe colors" it should be EXACTLY what i "copy". this current system is lieing. it dident "copy" it.

Thats pretty sad and lazy tbh.. im sad now.. never get my stuff as black and gold.

The system doesn't lie at all. You're copying colors, not materials. It's like copying your clothes colors into a car -- it won't look made out of fabric, would it?

2 minutes ago, F4talFr4me said:

You copy colors from the palette which are just RGB values. If they wanted to they could make a metalic palette but that would probably look pretty ugly in most cases because metals are extremely reflective and if someone were to put that on what already is a metal then it would be borderline chrome and probably mess around a lot with the lighting. They're not lying and you're still getting the same gold color it just isn't placed on a metalic surface since your weapon doesn't have one.

2 minutes ago, F4talFr4me said:

Are you SURE? i mean there are some artists out there that can immitate the real thing.

i just edited my post to include the link

here is another pic where u can clearly see the shadows of fabric and stitches and so on

bohemian---59049891_1273875915_velvet03.

Edited by Weidro

1 minute ago, F4talFr4me said:

hmm. i bet there is one out there who can paint the same thing on a car. we have metal paints in real life. no reason to not copy the colors in a digital game.

i absolutely agree

but i hope you can see the reason for the way it is currently in the game

what i would like to have is the possibility not just to copy it but to choose color+material

5 minutes ago, Weidro said:

i absolutely agree

but i hope you can see the reason for the way it is currently in the game

what i would like to have is the possibility not just to copy it but to choose color+material

That would be nice. should have base/metalic/Other option so you can do any color and any metal on anything. true fashionframe. :D

The day everthing is black and gold would be great.

1 hour ago, Weidro said:

try an immortal skin on any prime frame you like and tell me again its ONLY metals

dont even have to, I'm pretty sure you can see this on loki primes default skin, part of his hand is that fugly dark yellow because it shares it color slot with the metallic area. Might just be the immortal but I think its both.

I completely agree on being able to select materials but that might be difficult to code in. I know the reason we haven't gotten a 6th color slot is because of how colors are stored, in the rgb channel of the colormap, each channel holds a color, the alpha hold the 4th n the glowmap holds the energy color.

another pet peeve of mine with coloring in this game is uncolorable areas. Examples being ivaras thighs, half of nekros' mortos binds, etc

Edited by (XB1)ashes of suvius

6 minutes ago, (XB1)ashes of suvius said:

I know the reason we haven't gotten a 6th color slot is because of how colors are stored, in the rgb channel of the colormap, each channel holds a color, the alpha hold the 4th n the glowmap holds the energy color.

when i started playing warframe we had only 4 colors and they where able to add a 5th

it cant be that hard to add a 6th no matter how its stored

1 hour ago, Weidro said:

when i started playing warframe we had only 4 colors and they where able to add a 5th

You're right, it won't be hard at all.

I think the problem is that even if they add a new channel, they won't go back through the frames and re-separate the existing frames' parts into that sixth channel anytime soon. Think of how long the PBR treatment is being rolled out across the weapons and frames; as long as that's taking now, it'll be longer for the 6th channel application because there'll be more things in game to do it to.

That said, even if they do that, when they do that, it won't fix @F4talFr4me's issue of copying the warframe's colours. Because his weapons won't have the metallic parts, and so the metallic colours won't transfer.

What we would enjoy, rather than a 6th channel, is an actual metallic colour palette, which took something like the Saturated colour palette and made that metallic and allowed us to put a rich rainbow of metallic colour onto anything and everything. Think of all the metallic pink Rhino's with Titania floating animation!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, Thaylien said:

You're right, it won't be hard at all.

I think the problem is that even if they add a new channel, they won't go back through the frames and re-separate the existing frames' parts into that sixth channel anytime soon. Think of how long the PBR treatment is being rolled out across the weapons and frames; as long as that's taking now, it'll be longer for the 6th channel application because there'll be more things in game to do it to.

That said, even if they do that, when they do that, it won't fix @F4talFr4me's issue of copying the warframe's colours. Because his weapons won't have the metallic parts, and so the metallic colours won't transfer.

What we would enjoy, rather than a 6th channel, is an actual metallic colour palette, which took something like the Saturated colour palette and made that metallic and allowed us to put a rich rainbow of metallic colour onto anything and everything. Think of all the metallic pink Rhino's with Titania floating animation!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, Weidro said:

they were able to add that other color by using the combined/alpha, they are out of options now n would have to come up with a new system of storing the colors, so its not just adding something this time. I'm not at all saying it shouldn't be done, just trying to help people understand that its more work than adding the last color.

as far as metallic colors, if you want a metallic palette, it would take separating the material from the base model and applying it to that color palette, which would make any color not on that palette not be metallic, which would suck. They'd have to make a metallic version of every color out now. N we'd have to buy all of them.

if they instead dont apply the material properties to either the model or the color, and have it set by another variable like a yes/no check box next to each color selection, we could select it for each color without having twice the colors to deal with. Metallic y/n. Same type of box as the hide weapon stuff. Yes has the metallic material shaders, no has the nonmetallic.

edit: also, just so we're all on the same page, the metallic property of the objects isn't linked to the colormap at all. its mostly the specular map, how smooth it is and how bright it is. So to give us metallic stuff they would have to make a second specular map for each skin of everything, code the game to be able to pull from either map, and code in the option to choose. Again not saying this shouldn't be done, I agree that we should have options like this. Im just saying that with any of these issues, its more work than you think. The same amount of work that went into the whole pbr thing, which still isn't completely done afaik.

Edited by (XB1)ashes of suvius