Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bout time the Lanka stops wearing hand-me-downs

4ever4gotin

Haven't been drawing at all lately. Was getting out of practice, but with the absence of content however I decided to draw some weapon variations again to keep myself occupied.

This time the Lanka is up for a spin. I've really liked the old Snipeton model, it was one of the few things that got me into using snipers even way back when they were laughable at best. However it always rubbed me the wrong way when they introduced the Lanka to inherit the corpus sniper roll. Lanka is by no means a bad sniper, probably one of the best now, but letting it have the pre-used model always made it feel kinda cheap for me. Snipeton Vandal is a decent sniper, the vanilla Snipetron is quite horrid but should maybe make a return like how the boar did (dropping from sniper crewmen instead for new players).

R22w5y2.png

So I choose to give it a make over, pulling some design qualities from the Opticor. I thought pulling them together would make a perfect design family, Opticor with big raw damage, hitscan along with some AOE (although i kinda wished it got a tiny buff) and the Lanka being the Crit, punch through, projectile weapon. I smashed them together and came up with an amalgamation that pleased me, it inherited all the traits I wanted out of each side and I thought turned out pretty well.

After I finished i figured, hey, I was supposed to make a completely different weapon variation not just some model swap for some aging weapon, so I quickly decided to give both the Lanka and the Opticor a Secondary child weapon.

kGm8MLx.png

It was going to be a powerful secondary that has a overheat mechanic, every time it fires (primary fire would be hitscan) it builds up stacks of overheat which increases damage but make the weapon harder to handle (more recoil, slower rate of fire, minor accuracy loss). You could let the weapon cool down by not putting it in use, but that was boring, so I wanted it to have a secondary fire that consumed more ammo but also consumed stacks of overheat (up to 10 in one shot). The secondary fire would be a large orb that travels slowly but deals tick damage depending on how long it takes to travel through enemies (so it pretty much has infinite punch through). The size of this orb is determined on how many over heat stacks in consumed. The weapon would be in this constant rewarding loop that I thought would be pretty interesting.

Well that about sums up how I waste my evenings, hopefully when syndicate melees come out soon we'll all have things to chew on till The War Within gets out... Eventually. Tell me what you guys think about the variations, I always enjoy making them, along with the scaled images for references which are down below. Probably gonna do some more corpus weapons variations later (possibly something for the Dera, supra, cestras or the detron). Well it'll then, which is probably a month or so later, I'll see you guys later.

Scaled reference Images:

Lanka / Opticor / Re-design

Spoiler

8mPN6j9.png

MkCn9Mu.png

Secondary variation

Spoiler

SoiFoyE.png

I really like the lanka redesign but i think the cestra are fine as they are currently. Still like the new design though.

This makes me want to start drawing again too.

Dammit DE, when are you going to realize that your community is filled with amazing artists that can help you make certain aspects of your game look much better(beyond tennogen and deluxe skin concepts)

1 minute ago, DawnThade said:

I really like the lanka redesign but i think the cestra are fine as they are currently. Still like the new design though.

Dammit DE, when are you going to realize that your community is filled with amazing artists that can help you make certain aspects of your game look much better(beyond tennogen and deluxe skin concepts)

The "cestra" isn't a redesign, its a new weapon concept. I think the cestra is just there for a sense of scale.

14 minutes ago, DawnThade said:

12 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

The "cestra" isn't a redesign, its a new weapon concept. I think the cestra is just there for a sense of scale.

Yes, that was it's intention, cestra was used merely for scale as Omega said. Kinda a thing I do for the recent concepts I roll out.

I'm glad that you guys all enjoy my stuff!

I WANT IT D:

It's so good! Such attention to detail and the design of corpus models! 

Hand and shoulder-breakingly bad ergonomics: Check

Rigid, boxy design: Check

Sleek metallic textures: Check

My only two points are that it actually has a scope and as everyone knows, scopes in warframe are invisible. (See also, vectis, vulkar)

And the hand grip is so identical to the opticor. I think you could one-up that design.

Edited by Rehtael7

11 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

I WANT IT D:

It's so good! Such attention to detail and the design of corpus models! 

Hand and shoulder-breakingly bad ergonomics: Check

Rigid, boxy design: Check

Sleek metallic textures: Check

My only two points are that it actually has a scope and as everyone knows, scopes in warframe are invisible. (See also, vectis, vulkar)

And the hand grip is so identical to the opticor. I think you could one-up that design.

Well glad you like it.

As for the scope, it was a carry over from the previous model, thought it would feel too naked without it. Also with the grip it usually serves for me as a origin point and pretty much shows how much I change/create a design. Pretty much all the handles/grips on my other designs are actually the same as the base weapons I refer too, it's almost a habit now that I have to inherit that quality. Although I'll keep it in mind to shake thinks up a little more next time.

27 minutes ago, Jamescell said:

This is an awesome concept! I still find it strange that DE hasn't decided whether to use either metallic or matte textures for corpus weapons. Even some of those that have been PBR'd are still matte. I hope that in the future they pick one... 

I just pulled a quick glance through the arsenal, most of the matte texture ones are the older weapons still right? (Dera, spectra, flux rifle etc) Did they PBR'd the Supra? I don't remember it being so "rough". I can't really recall any of the newer ones that inconsistent textures, gonna have to fill me in on that one.

But If i had the choice, Shiny PBR metals would definitely be the go to, I love me some flashy coloured metals. Glad you enjoyed the concept

Here's a thought sir/mam, have you considered plugging this in as a Tennogen skin in the manner of the the Fragor's Brokk skin? Something along the lines of "This is the Commercial model, but THIS is the designated use model." 

Slap a give and take bonus/malus on it, call it something nice like the. . . I dunno, I guess the "Vishwakarma" Lanka skin? And then slip a tiny price-tag on it, heck, I'd buy it if I had a wallet worth a dang.

As for your other fellow? Applause all around, a second talented fellow with concept-art grade drawing skills. If you and Mako sired a painting, Digital would probably buy it for triple digits.

36 minutes ago, Unus said:

Here's a thought sir/mam, have you considered plugging this in as a Tennogen skin in the manner of the the Fragor's Brokk skin? Something along the lines of "This is the Commercial model, but THIS is the designated use model." 

Slap a give and take bonus/malus on it, call it something nice like the. . . I dunno, I guess the "Vishwakarma" Lanka skin? And then slip a tiny price-tag on it, heck, I'd buy it if I had a wallet worth a dang.

As for your other fellow? Applause all around, a second talented fellow with concept-art grade drawing skills. If you and Mako sired a painting, Digital would probably buy it for triple digits.

Well I'm glad you like my work, as for the Tennogen idea, it has been made quite apparent to me how my 3d-modeling experience is lacking. Back when there was a Tennogen contest to make skins for the Akmagnus, Vectis, and Zorens I tried to learn and failed quite miserably.

Well, back then my art skills weren't all too great either but I got better, and maybe if warframe is round long enough I would try to get into Tennogen heh.

Edited by 4ever4gotin

Just now, Unus said:

Wait, your. . . bad at Tennogen? How did you build that 3D model into the game then?

I'm... not sure what you're referring too. I haven't posted up any models, heck I haven't even made any!

I think what I meant was that I was bad enough not to be able to produce anything of pleasing value to submit into the contest. I haven't done any 3d-modeling ever since.

Just now, Unus said:

The Excaliber's hefting those guns, don't tell me I'm going senile and just pretending those are there. They. . . they are there, aren't they?

OHHH, that just me and my editing skills! ...or what little editing skills I have.

What I did was take a couple screens-shots (no UI enabled) of my stock Excal holding some weapons that aren't too large or bulky. I then layered each picture on top of each other and proceed to erase as much of the weapons as possible. Then I carefully copy the forearm and the hand where he's holding the gun onto a lay above the stock picture. Then I just take the Image I draw (which are the ones in the concept grey-cyan boxes), resize it appropriately using other weapons as references, put it in the warframe's hands on a layer below the copied layer and boom done!

Looks like it's ingame, eh? Except without the pre-processing from the game's engine that adds effects, although I try to add blooms and shaders to my image so it looks more natural going in.

2 hours ago, Virotoxic said:

you can always see if you can cut a deal with a modeler for tennogen

Hmm it's a definite possibility, I would even be fine to give the an overwhelming majority of the cut, but I think I would like to keep this off because maybe one day I would like to try my hand again at modeling.

1 hour ago, 4ever4gotin said:

Hmm it's a definite possibility, I would even be fine to give the an overwhelming majority of the cut, but I think I would like to keep this off because maybe one day I would like to try my hand again at modeling.

lol, but for real, keep us posted when you decide to do whatever